Huge Coolant leak! Please help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Huge Coolant leak! Please help!

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 06-21-2012, 09:44 AM   #1
kleraudio
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Huge Coolant leak! Please help!

So i get off work and stop at the grocery store on my way home.

Right before i pull into the parking lot my "Check Gauges" light comes on but nothing seems wrong. This light comes on every now and again when i start the car but havent had any issues with it, this may not even be related but who knows.

anyways, the light goes off, i turn the truck off and head into the grocery store.

When i come out about 5 minutes later i hear what sounds like a waterfall under my car.

I look down and ALL my coolant is coming out at a rapid pace. Took about 2 minutes for ALL of it to empty out onto the ground.

Has anyone ever heard of this? what could it be?

I replaced thermostat, thermostat housing, top and bottom radiator hoses, and heater hoses, all about 6 months ago.

What do you guys think this is? Had to get a tow because it obviously wouldn't hold the coolant to get me home.

Oh, its a 2001 Wranger Sahara with about 104k miles on it.

Jim

kleraudio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2012, 09:48 AM   #2
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Where is the coolant coming from? The radiator?
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2012, 09:55 AM   #3
kleraudio
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I couldnt really tell as it was a bit dark out, but no the radiator didnt seem to be leaking.

It was dripping off the bell housing/rear main seal, so im thinking maybe water pump, but i couldnt really tell.

I think if it leaked from the water pump that it would make its way down the route of the bell housing..... i think.....

Ive just never seen anything like this. Never had i had gallons of coolant leak in 5 minutes!

Any ideas?

Its at a dealership because we just moved here and i dont know anyone. So i just want to be informed before they call me and inevitably give me the bad news.
Unread 06-21-2012, 10:00 AM   #4
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Could be the water pump, but I wouldn't think that it would leak that much so fast. Could be that the radiator bottom tank cracked and ran down along the bottom hose to the oil pan and back, depending on the angle.
Unread 06-21-2012, 10:06 AM   #5
kleraudio
2001 TJ Wrangler 

hmmm, that may be it too....

I guess i just have to wait for the stealership to call me.
Unread 06-21-2012, 10:25 AM   #6
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Good Luck.
Unread 06-21-2012, 10:30 AM   #7
dubbleds
2001 TJ Wrangler 

i just replaced my factory radiator at 103k miles because the plastic tank cracked. It wasnt very big, but dumped coolant fast. Sounds like its at the right age/mileage for that. if it is the radiator it's only 10 bolts and 1 hour of your time if you keep catching your ratchet switch on the fan shroud and go from loosening the bolt to tightening it over and over, (yes Im an idiot.)
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
― Hunter S. Thompson
dubbleds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2012, 10:46 AM   #8
kleraudio
2001 TJ Wrangler 

****, if thats the problem ill be pissed! I couldnt drive the car and i had no idea what the issue was. Only had 1 tow left from AAA, didnt want to chance bringing it home and finding it was a big problem and have to pay for another tow to the mechanic...

ahhh....

we'll find out shortly, i'll let ya guys know what it was!

Hopefully something small like that though
Unread 06-21-2012, 10:50 AM   #9
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleraudio View Post
****, if thats the problem ill be pissed! I couldnt drive the car and i had no idea what the issue was. Only had 1 tow left from AAA, didnt want to chance bringing it home and finding it was a big problem and have to pay for another tow to the mechanic...

ahhh....

we'll find out shortly, i'll let ya guys know what it was!

Hopefully something small like that though
For us that is small and easy. For the stealership it's cha ching big money in their pocket.
Unread 06-21-2012, 10:52 AM   #10
kleraudio
2001 TJ Wrangler 

son of a *****!

Now im hoping its NOT the radiator!
Unread 06-21-2012, 11:30 AM   #11
JWebber
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Water pump will not leak that fast out. Sounds like to me one of you hoses poped or pulled off. the people that worked on it used those crip style OEM clamps, could be that it poped off. If it's the rad. man what a POS. Was it leaking in front of engine or towards the rear of engine??
JWebber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2012, 11:37 AM   #12
IronDuke666
2001 TJ Wrangler 

If it dumped out that fast... it might have been a freeze plug in the block that popped out? Loosened up from corrosion?
IronDuke666 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2012, 11:40 AM   #13
kleraudio
2001 TJ Wrangler 

damn, didnt even think to check the freeze plug!!

It was late though, tough to really see anything....

Just waiting on these guys to call me..... I hate the wait!
Unread 06-21-2012, 12:10 PM   #14
kleraudio
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWebber View Post
Water pump will not leak that fast out. Sounds like to me one of you hoses poped or pulled off. the people that worked on it used those crip style OEM clamps, could be that it poped off. If it's the rad. man what a POS. Was it leaking in front of engine or towards the rear of engine??
It was dripping off toward the front of the engine.

It wasnt the crimp on clamps but the round ones that have the hex screw to tighten. I couldnt get completely under the truck to check one of the hoses, i hope thats the issue. I'll feel like a ******* but at least I'd get out of this cheaply.

They still havent called. that cant be good.
Unread 06-21-2012, 12:10 PM   #15
kleraudio
2001 TJ Wrangler 

You guys notice this crap ALWAYS happens when you have no money?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.