JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   HP dana 30 question (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/hp-dana-30-question-1759050/)

mhcblues119 11-04-2013 09:59 PM

HP dana 30 question

Is the carrier from a vacuum disconnect and a non-dissconnect interchangeable? Found a carrier with 4:10 gears from a vacuum disconnect and would like to swap it into a non-disco model and swap it under my TJ.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

rchase559 11-04-2013 10:06 PM

Yes. Be prepared to setup the gears though if you are swapping those in too.

If you are just using the carrier, you will just need to set backlash.

BriansCJ 11-04-2013 10:07 PM

All dana 30 carriers are interchangable.

Knuckelhead 11-04-2013 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BriansCJ (Post 17442994)
All dana 30 carriers are interchangable.

But the ring and pinions are not...

mhcblues119 11-04-2013 10:19 PM

Both of these axles are HP dana 30s. On is a disconnect one is not. The gears are already installed into the carrier inside the axle housing. I was hoping to take the carrier and gears out of the one axle and switch them into the non-disco one.

I know that the lp and hp gears are not interchangeable but the 2 diff models of HP dana 30 should be correct?

rchase559 11-04-2013 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhcblues119
Both of these axles are HP dana 30s. On is a disconnect one is not. The gears are already installed into the carrier inside the axle housing. I was hoping to take the carrier and gears out of the one axle and switch them into the non-disco one. I know that the lp and hp gears are not interchangeable but the 2 diff models of HP dana 30 should be correct?

Ring and pinions are not interchangeable. Once they leave the factory, they are matched set and must be used together. Using one pinion with another ring gear is not recommended at all.

You can swap both ring and pinion from on axle to another (assuming they're both HP or LP) but not just the ring gear or just the pinion.

Just to clarify, you are talking about the ring and pinion and not the spider gears correct?

mhcblues119 11-04-2013 10:45 PM

Correct me if im wrong. but cant i take the carrier out including (spider gears, ring and pinion) all at once? or am i misunderstanding

rchase559 11-04-2013 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhcblues119
Correct me if im wrong. but cant i take the carrier out including (spider gears, ring and pinion) all at once? or am i misunderstanding

Yes you can do that. You will more likely than not have to set the gears up in the new housing like I said in my first post.

Edit: proofread and fixed

mhcblues119 11-04-2013 10:59 PM

What do you mean not set that up? Shouldnt it be just a plug in play? As in i pull the axles and take out the old carrier. Instal the new carrier and then reinstall axles? This is the first time i will ever be messing with the inside of an axle so I'm new to this. I have swapped axles before but never before build one.

biffgnar 11-05-2013 07:11 AM

22 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mhcblues119 (Post 17444297)
What do you mean not set that up? Shouldnt it be just a plug in play? As in i pull the axles and take out the old carrier. Instal the new carrier and then reinstall axles? This is the first time i will ever be messing with the inside of an axle so I'm new to this. I have swapped axles before but never before build one.

The tolerances you are working with to do a gear setup properly are small enough that perfectly normal variations between housings can be enough to require the setup to be different one to another even using the same carrier and gears.

-jb- 11-05-2013 07:54 AM

Swap it in, check the gear pattern. If it's to shallow or to deep, you need to adjust your gear.

The time now is 07:45 PM.