How would I fix a zipper on soft top? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How would I fix a zipper on soft top?

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 04-22-2010, 07:20 PM   #1
Vladimer
2008 JK Wrangler 

How would I fix a zipper on soft top?

Hey guys,

So I was putting my factory soft top back on the TJ in preparation for the rain tonight. Unfortunately the zipper skipped a couple places along the top. This is the 'rear hatch' window.

I spent close to half an hour trying to get it to go back and besides shedding blood and moving it maybe a mm back through it I got no progress.

With a normal coat zipper its not to hard to man handle the thing to get it apart but with the TJ zipper the thing is pretty rock solid. So now I can zip up/down the right side with the left zipper and the right side with the right zipper but cant actually remove the window anymore. And I have a couple spots where there are holes in the zipper where the zipper did not mesh. Luckily it is along the top where it shouldn't let to much rain in but if the holes expand then im pretty hooped.

Any ideas what I can do?

Thanks

Vladimer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2010, 07:39 PM   #2
vosevichs
2001 TJ Wrangler 

They are a pain to unzip after they split. But once you do here's a repair kit Jeep Zipper Sliders
Unread 04-22-2010, 07:42 PM   #3
gabriel05
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I used to have an awful time with my rear window too. Eventually one of my zippers (the metal part) actually broke in half, so I ordered these.

Jeep Zipper Sliders

Now everything is fine and they work like butter every time. I'm afraid you're just going to have to force the zipper back into place though. No tricks that I know of. Them don't open it again until you can get new zippers. It's my understanding that they wear out over time, and should be replaced every so often.

EDIT: Looks like someone else beat me to the punch. haha.
Unread 04-22-2010, 07:59 PM   #4
Vladimer
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks guys, I manged to forcefully close the rest off so at least the window is closed for the most part and the zipper.. thankfully did not break in the process. That is if the top stays how it is and doesn't open itself up more till I can get the zippers.

Thanks for the link, I was hoping it wouldn't be some dumb dealer only item or some overly complicated process to try and find the right size zipper.

Last thing I would need is for Jeepit to not ship to canada =/
Unread 04-22-2010, 09:01 PM   #5
monkeygruven
2004 TJ Wrangler 

use needle nose pliers, i keep a pair in my glovebox just for the rear window. i just replaced my sliders 2 weeks ago, 5 minute repair job and TOTALLY worth it. i picked up my sliders and a zip stopper from a local auto+boat interior/top shop, but you might find some at a shoe repair place. if you have holes where the teeth aren't connected, try to power through it with pliers, it's really all you can do. just be careful, you might yank off the lace puller like i did, then you're really screwed. i had to put a key ring on it to finish the job. it can be a real ball breaker getting through the unzipped sections, but as far as replacing the sliders themselves go, that takes all of 5 minutes. clean those zippers!!!

The real trail rated badges are located on your skid plates.
monkeygruven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2010, 08:50 AM   #6
Vladimer
2008 JK Wrangler 

I tried using pliers but I couldnt get it back over the parts that skipped. I was reefing on it really really hard and it moved back maybe one tooth. I really dont want to damage the actual zipper teeth in the process. Ill have to wait till the sliders come in and hope it doesnt just zip wide open somewhere.

What is this 'zip stop' you mentioned? I can think of a few obvious answers but just want to know for sure before I go in somewhere asking for something that doesnt exist

Thanks
Unread 04-23-2010, 09:15 AM   #7
monkeygruven
2004 TJ Wrangler 

the stop is the tiny little metal clamp at the lower right corner of the top half (as opposed to window half) of the zipper. it comes right off if you spread it with pliers, and a new one clamps right on. its what stops the zipper (derr!) from sliding off the teeth. you're gonna either have to pull through the hole in the zipper (it can really be exhausting), or break the actual slider off. the front breaks off from the back, as they are connected by only a small piece of metal. you can accomplish this at one time like i did: stand on the rear bumper, pliers clamped on the slider pull, and lean all of your weight in the direction you're trying to go. you'll probably get through some of the hole, then the slider will just snap in two. the only thing about this method is that you risk damaging the teeth. but, from what it looks like, i got fairly lucky and didn't mess up too many teeth that weren't already damaged. hope this helps! oh, and the zipper size is C-10 for the back and side windows, and C-8 for the soft upper windows, if anybody was wondering.

Unread 04-23-2010, 09:22 AM   #8
qwik

I used small vise grips . grind inside of jaws so i had larger working area (but do not grind tips). Now squeeze the zipper closing side a little at the time. Worked great andsofar lasted long time
Unread 04-23-2010, 10:01 AM   #9
loaderopp
2005 LJ Wrangler 

get yourself some zipper wax for DrySuits from a dive/scuba shop. your zippers will love you for it.
2005 Rubicon Unlimited, 5.5 inch custom long arm, 1 inch daystar body lift, River Raider Snorkel, Custom bumper/winch mount, sliders, tire carrier. 37x13.50 R17 Nitto Mudgraplers, Bushwacker flat fender. Custom 1/2 cab. Hyline hood vents. Custom tonnue cover and tool box. HID-X off road lights, LED driving lights custom rear bumper/m6000 rear monted winch.
loaderopp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2010, 10:05 AM   #10
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

A zipper was skipping a few notches on the driver's side window because they were damaged. I took a razor blade and trimmed one or two of the damaged notches. The slider zips right through no problem now.
BYuen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2010, 10:09 AM   #11
monkeygruven
2004 TJ Wrangler 

^as in, took out the damaged teeth?

Unread 04-23-2010, 10:35 AM   #12
acharrier
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Link to the zipper sliders is a great find. Thanks!
acharrier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2013, 03:01 PM   #13
bluejeepalex
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabriel05
I used to have an awful time with my rear window too. Eventually one of my zippers (the metal part) actually broke in half, so I ordered these.

Jeep Zipper Sliders

Now everything is fine and they work like butter every time. I'm afraid you're just going to have to force the zipper back into place though. No tricks that I know of. Them don't open it again until you can get new zippers. It's my understanding that they wear out over time, and should be replaced every so often.

EDIT: Looks like someone else beat me to the punch. haha.
Thanks for the info. I am going to try replacing the zipper sliders.
bluejeepalex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.