How to unstick torx bolts on half doors - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How to unstick torx bolts on half doors

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 07-13-2010, 08:21 AM   #1
Nasty73 Z-28
2006 LJ Wrangler 

How to unstick torx bolts on half doors

Hi, I just bought some new to me have 1/2 doors for my LJ. The Passenger side fits fine... the drivers side you have to lift up on for the latch to catch. I did a search and learned the hinge is adjustable. The problem is I cant get the Torx screws to budge...Any advice?

Last edited by Nasty73 Z-28; 07-13-2010 at 12:14 PM..
Nasty73 Z-28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2010, 08:36 AM   #2
-dirt-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I was too scared to try to loosen the torx bolts when I needed to adjust some full doors. I heard horror stories of the torx head stripping out, taking the paint with it, and then the paint under/around the hinge not matching once I adjusted it.

So, I ended up "tweaking" the door pins. You can put the nuts back on and then lift the door from the latch. (A body shop has a tool for this. Looks similar to a hi-lift.) Took about a minute. Essentially it just bent the pins enough to get the striker and latch to match up.

EDIT: But I have read where several people have been able to adjust their hinges with success.
-dirt- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2010, 02:22 PM   #3
roadbosstx
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have to adjust my strikers whne changing from 1/2 doors to full doors. I mark the striker pin location on the body for each set of doors, to take the guess work out each time.
roadbosstx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2010, 02:37 PM   #4
JFjeld
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I bought new hinges for my half doors a few years ago and had a problem with the Torx stripping. I ended up drilling the screws off and it was a real pain.
Unread 07-13-2010, 02:48 PM   #5
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

I rarely strip a torx bolt due to using heat. Even on painted surfaces, if you use few seconds of heat on and off several times and slowly heat the bolt to under the point of messing the paint up, 9 out of 10 times, it will soften the factory thread locker used on all the body torx bolts and it will easily come out. I have the best luck with the yellow MAP gas.

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2010, 03:05 PM   #6
MTpockets
1997 TJ Wrangler 

put some heat on them. but not so much to burn your paint, if you care.

ALWAYS ACCEPTING DONATIONS!!!
MTpockets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2010, 03:13 PM   #7
NCUNLIMITED
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Not to hijack your thread still on the same lines....How do you adjust the hinges once you get the torx bolts out??
NCUNLIMITED is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2010, 05:03 PM   #8
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

I just picked up a TJ, but I believe the adjustment is the same as the many CJs and YJs Ive worked on. The upper WS hinge is fixed while the door hinges are on floating nut plates. With the striker out of the way, have all the door bolts just loose enough so as the hinges can moves side to side and up and down. The trick is to first match the lower and side door lines to the tub lines so the gap is the same all around. Don't worry about the WS frame or top right now. Next tighten up the lower tub hinge, but bring it up a tad to preload it so it shares the weight with the upper hinge. Next, adjust the striker pin (U shape latch part on tub). The spreader bar has an adjustment bolt that will allow the rake of the WS to move a bid to get an even gap along the WS frame and door. Then the top is last and should line up to the door and tub holes. It might take a few times, but thats how I adjust them and it works out good.

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2010, 06:37 PM   #9
glockster
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I don't even bother with the door gaps.

I did however remove the weatherstripping from around the door the first time I mounted up my half doors. I did not want to touch the striker because my full doors worked flawlessly. With the weatherstripping removed, I just adjusted the upper and lower hinges until the half doors latched easily. Then I reinstalled the weatherstripping which made the doors difficult to close and latch but I knew the doors were adjusted properly. Once the new weatherstripping got smashed and formed to the door jams they now work pretty damn good.........but still not as good as the full doors.

Glockster's Rubihara Build
glockster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2010, 08:22 PM   #10
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Impact driver and some heat if needed... an air impact gun works wonders as well.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2010, 08:28 PM   #11
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have had very good luck using a hand impact tool from Sears. It's the one that you put in the proper bit, hold it on the bolt and whack it with a hammer. I have never had one strip and there is no risk of burning the paint.
durango-bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2010, 02:03 AM   #12
Nasty73 Z-28
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Well... I managed to get 5 out of the 6 removed. The last one is pretty well stripped. Any suggestions. BTW, a friend told me to put the torx bit into the screw and give them a couple of solid whacks. Seem to work..Thanks
Nasty73 Z-28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2010, 04:01 AM   #13
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by durango-bob View Post
I have had very good luck using a hand impact tool from Sears. It's the one that you put in the proper bit, hold it on the bolt and whack it with a hammer. I have never had one strip and there is no risk of burning the paint.
This is what I use. Works like a charm.

edit: here ya go:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...5&blockType=G5

Tags
tj , wrangler , half door , torx , stuck , adjustment , hinge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.