How tough is your jeep? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How tough is your jeep?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBlack Friday SALE! Up to 20% off at Diode Dynamics!

Unread 05-07-2001, 01:11 AM   #1
Draven

How tough is your jeep?

I have a 97 green tj. mostly stock with 30" tire's and canyon wheels. I've had it for over a month. i've put some scratches on it already. anyway, i was wanting to know how hard can i drive the thing. I mean down some old gravel trails and stuff. would you drive jeep so hard to bottom out the springs?
Also i know no one who has a four wheel drive. the first week i had the think i buried the thing not knowing how to drive. or could it be the tires? I've the goodyear wrangler tires on. i went wheeling today in some sand+mud. sorry to say that i chickened out in going where i wanted. don't get me wrong, just did not want to get stuck all alone with no one else for a pull. I did go half way but the tires were full of mud and not cleaning themselfs.

Draven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2001, 10:56 AM   #2
Real-LD

When you say hard do you mean fast? I think it's more a control issue. Drive within your abilities. You don't want to constantly bottom out, unless you don't mind ******* out tons of money to replace all that is envolved in driving likes that. What I'm saying is this kinda of driving put sume serious wear and tear on any machine.

Sometimes the mud just gets to deep and getting stuck is unavoidable. What kind of Goodyears you got. Tires could be a part of it. But If it gets way deep ain't no tire going to get you out unless you got them axle roll tires that just came out. J/K
Yeah getting stuck all by your lonsome sucks, but hey getting out is a great feeling.
97 Tj not so stock but not so modified.
Real-LD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2001, 01:49 PM   #3
JEEP_TJ_FREAK

Those stock tires have gotta go. I as you can see I'm from Tulsa as well, and I've got some used wheels, tires, experience and trails I can show you just keep posting.

p.s. where were you to get stuck, the river? don't do it man. I've seen many a truck washed away by the core of engineers.
---------------
2000 WJ Limited 4.7 Q-drive for daily use, bone stock.
JEEP_TJ_FREAK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2004, 05:31 AM   #4
rockon1202

Unless they're mud tires, you know you'll get stuck right off. But, if you were going out in mud/sand, you want to make sure you deflate the tires a bit. That extra surface area contacting the ground will make a huge difference in how easily you get stuck. Anywho, a winch will solve your getting stuck problem, unless you wheel with a buddy, and then all you'll need is some tow straps.
rockon1202 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2004, 07:53 AM   #5
htownjeep
What's that noise?

I know you said you don't know anyone that has a 4wd vehicle, but that is one of the first rules of offroading...don't go wheeling by yourself! Especially when you are so new to it. Have you looked into clubs in your area? You can really learn a ton just by being around people who have done it before and see it in real life instead of having it described to you by all of us!

I'm sure you'll get tons of great advice from all of us here, I have already seen some. But it pales in comparison to actual hands on advice/instruction.

ps-not going in when you didn't know what to do isn't chickening out, sounds like you probably saved yourself some time and money!
Unread 09-19-2004, 02:53 PM   #6
Dragonmaster

IMO the only good goodyear tires are the MTR, that's why so many vehicel manufacturers have the goodyears as standard tires, because they are cheap. Get yourself some good a/t's or some mud tires and definitely join a club or find some people who wheel and don;t go alone.
Work 2 Live, Live 2 Play, Play = JEEP
Dragonmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.