How to tell which fuel injector is bad? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How to tell which fuel injector is bad?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 07-22-2011, 02:42 PM   #1
mccraneyj
2002 TJ Wrangler 

How to tell which fuel injector is bad?

Hey guys got another one for ya! My 02 six cyl wrangler is running very rich got my cat changed and muffler they are filled with soot. I got all the signs of a bad fuel injector my question is how do you know which one is bad

Unread 07-22-2011, 02:57 PM   #2
herbiehind
1999 TJ Wrangler 

any codes? you'd have misfire codes . also what's your current mileage ? how are your plugs? unplug each injector one at a time and see if it changes . bet it will . many things can cause rich , like 02 sensors . how many miles ?
herbiehind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2011, 03:09 PM   #3
Varnish
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I was just troubleshooting some injectors last night and what I did was buy a cheapo 6 pack of those little clear plastic water bottles. I emptied em, pulled the fuel rail, surrounded each injector with a bottle. I had to twist some of the injectors to get the plugs to reach the harness with the rail pulled out. I unplugged the coil pack and then had somebody turn the engine over and watched for the pattern. Worked great. You could tell both from seeing the spray and also from the quantity of fuel in each bottle. Wear safety glasses, no spark/fire nearby, and keep an extinguisher handy. If you have a leaky injector you may not even need to turn over the motor, just pressurize the rail by putting the key in the run position a few times and see if any are dripping.
'99 XJ 4dr SE
Varnish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2011, 03:11 PM   #4
Varnish
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Even easier actually is you could pull the plugs and look for a black one.
'99 XJ 4dr SE
Varnish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2011, 06:08 PM   #5
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I use a $5 mechanic's stethoscope to listen to each injector. A bad injector will often sound different from the others.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2011, 06:20 PM   #6
kloppk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
I use a $5 mechanic's stethoscope to listen to each injector. A bad injector will often sound different from the others.
X2

I just use a large screwdriver as a stethoscope. Just put the handle against your ear and then touch the blade of the screwdriver on each injector. You'll hear the injectors clicking. Just listen to each one at a time. A bad one will sound different from the rest.
kloppk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2011, 06:42 PM   #7
gmiller0737
1997 TJ Wrangler 

If it's running rich there could be a injector leaking fuel,Test by pulling the fuel rail with injectors attached turn key on with engine off & look at each injector to see if 1 is dripping fuel.
gmiller0737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2011, 08:26 PM   #8
mccraneyj
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Hey guys thanks for all the replys my jeep has just hit 100k but it has been doing this for the past 20k or so. Hopefully some time this weekend im gonna try all of your suggestions and see what i come up with. Oh and also I do have a cel light on its the large leak detection code but i have changed all the vac lines and solenoids but light still comes on but i heard this wouldnt cause my jeep to run rich? My jeep also has very poor acceleration.
Unread 11-18-2011, 08:30 AM   #9
mccraneyj
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Checked all injecters they all seem fine i pulled them all out and turned the motor over and none are leaking so i put them back in and bought mechanic's stethoscope that the Man Jerry suggested it wouldnt hurt to have one anyway. All the injectors sounded fine so now im gonna look into the o2 sensors.
Unread 11-18-2011, 08:47 AM   #10
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

A bad MAP sensor can make it run rich too.
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2012, 02:12 PM   #11
delgajac000
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I am not sure if this was posted already but to test a fuel injector take a ohm meter and put one lead on one of the leads in the inside but close to one side. then put the other lead on the other prong on the opposite side. check link for a you tube video on how to tell.
make sure you DO NOT put the meter to volts or anything else!!!
delgajac000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2012, 05:02 PM   #12
chevy2169
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kloppk View Post
X2

I just use a large screwdriver as a stethoscope. Just put the handle against your ear and then touch the blade of the screwdriver on each injector. You'll hear the injectors clicking. Just listen to each one at a time. A bad one will sound different from the rest.
This and this x3.
Followed by millions of dumbfounded dipsh**s.
chevy2169 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.