How strong is the Ford 8.8 axle? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How strong is the Ford 8.8 axle?

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 04-03-2004, 08:55 AM   #1
jeepman14wheel

How strong is the Ford 8.8 axle?

Just wondering how strong is the Ford 8.8 axle. Is it worth the swap or not? Yesterday I had to complete a 5 hours axle repair on the trail when my friend broke his pinion gear in half on his Dana 35 rear axle. He had to drive home in front wheel drive with the pinion removed from the rear axle. That as a b*#$@ of a repair job on the trail. I think that 35" tires and a Dana 35 are no match on solid granite!! I will post pics when I get them of th is trail repair!!!

jeepman14wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2004, 09:08 AM   #2
igofshn
Locked @ both ends

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out.

8.8 is a very good axle and you probably wouldn't break it, but it is a c clip. For the amount of work it would be, you could go with a 9" and not worry about c clips.

[Jeep Pics
igofshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2004, 09:29 AM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't worry about the 8.8's c-clips, they're not usually the part that breaks anyway. An 8.8 is definitely way stronger than a D35c, but I'd just find a used Dana 44 out of a TJ since it's a much simpler bolt-up installation.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2004, 10:25 AM   #4
MasterCujo
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have one on my TJ, just installed days ago. Very strong axle, comparable to the Nine inch in most cases. The down side-if you want to call it that-is it is a C-clip. I however don't see anything wrong with it, and the difference between the 35 and 8.8 is night and day.
Unread 04-03-2004, 10:50 AM   #5
JeepCrawler_98

Its carnage stories like that and my own personal experiences that make me glad I got a free Chrysler 9.25" in works in the garage

To answer your question - the 8.8" is plenty strong. about the strength of a 9 inch, but at normal TJ width. I've wheeled with several people running 35s on em with ARBs and they hardly, if ever, break (granted theyre responsible on the gas and not a hammerhead driver) - and down here in rocky AZ, if theres a weak spot in your drivetrain; you'll find it REAL fast.
Unread 04-03-2004, 11:39 AM   #6
jeepman14wheel

The gas was a factor in the break and he was running 35 + stock gearing! Not a good choice, we was having a hard time maiking obstacles with that high of gearing. I am just wondering what to do now, I think I am gong to go for the 8.8 or 9 inch. I like the thought of the 8.8 having disk brakes and same lug pattern.
Unread 04-03-2004, 12:03 PM   #7
runmanpkll

i recently watched an 8.8 being installed into a TJ. a couple things that i didnt like were, the pumpkin is off set to the right so the driveshaft isnt a straight shot from the pinion to the transfercase output shaft. the jeep had a 4" short arm lift without an adjustable rear track bar so when the rear axle assembly dropped it cocked at an angle where the right rear tire was almost rubbing the front of the fender flare & the left rear tire was almost rubbing the rear of the fender flare. (rear steer angle). the pinion is really long making for a really short drivesahft, and it seemed to have a rather large pumpkin which would want to get hung up alot. just a few observations, take then for what theyre worth.
runmanpkll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2004, 12:16 PM   #8
JeepCrawler_98

I would think low gearing would make for a more vulnerable axle since it transfers more torque to the ring gear, carrier/locker, and axle shafts. Unless of course the gearing is so high that you're jagged at -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= on the throttle - then you need driving lessons.
Unread 04-03-2004, 01:39 PM   #9
jeepman14wheel

The gearing was 3.07 in the rear, way to high for 35 and yes the throttle was applied a lot to get over the granite slab. I do agree, the driver needs some lesson/experience in that department.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.