How to spec and where to find non-OEM rubber bushings? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How to spec and where to find non-OEM rubber bushings?

Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!Warn and Smittybilt Free Shipping OfferRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 11-06-2010, 03:13 PM   #1
tw_jeep
2000 TJ Wrangler 

How to spec and where to find non-OEM rubber bushings?

Random thought...

Since 1) my tracbar axle mount is nicely wallowed out and 2) the few shops I contacted dont wish to drill out the tracbar bushing sleeve to accomodate a larger bolt...

I thought maybe i could find a similar bushing but with a larger diameter sleeve... such as I think Currie has in one of their tracbars and Clayton has in their HD tracbar (9/16" axle end bolt IIRC)

So how are these typically spec'd - at least dimensionally?

And where to find or order?

Parts houses seem to only have OEM ones in their computers. OReilly said if I came up with a part number, they could order it.

I'd prefer rubber as in the OEM style but a polyurethane one might work too.

Thanks

2000 TJ Sport/auto/D44/X8000i & Tomken mount/jeeperman rear bumper and rails/Skidrow steering skid/RE 3.5SF/33x10.5x15ATKOs/JB Conversions SYE/CV shaft/BESTOP tire carrier/AtoZ front bumper/Front Aussie Locker/some aesthetic stuff/
tw_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2010, 03:17 PM   #2
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by twichers View Post
Random thought...

Since 1) my tracbar axle mount is nicely wallowed out and 2) the few shops I contacted dont wish to drill out the tracbar bushing sleeve to accomodate a larger bolt...

I thought maybe i could find a similar bushing but with a larger diameter sleeve... such as I think Currie has in one of their tracbars and Clayton has in their HD tracbar (9/16" axle end bolt IIRC)

So how are these typically spec'd - at least dimensionally?

And where to find or order?

Parts houses seem to only have OEM ones in their computers. OReilly said if I came up with a part number, they could order it.

I'd prefer rubber as in the OEM style but a polyurethane one might work too.

Thanks
Get one from the frame side of a JK front Trackbar or IIRC the frame side of a TJ rear trackbar is also 14mm and the same size on the OD.

Clayton is using the one from a JK or I'm pretty sure they are. 14mm = 9/16's or within 10 thou or so.
Unread 11-07-2010, 06:01 AM   #3
tw_jeep
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks mrblaine.

I didnt realize that the JK front tracbar or the TJ rear were dimensionally similar to the OEM TJ tracbar bushing.
2000 TJ Sport/auto/D44/X8000i & Tomken mount/jeeperman rear bumper and rails/Skidrow steering skid/RE 3.5SF/33x10.5x15ATKOs/JB Conversions SYE/CV shaft/BESTOP tire carrier/AtoZ front bumper/Front Aussie Locker/some aesthetic stuff/
Unread 11-07-2010, 08:14 AM   #4
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by twichers View Post
Thanks mrblaine.

I didnt realize that the JK front tracbar or the TJ rear were dimensionally similar to the OEM TJ tracbar bushing.
The lower end of the JK bar is not the same, it's narrower in width.

I've not looked at the axle side of a TJ rear trackbar with the intent of swappig bushings into something else, just the upper end because that's the end I usually wind up modifying.
Unread 11-07-2010, 11:13 AM   #5
tw_jeep
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for emphasizing that it's the frame end for both... I'll have to remember that... and see if I can get dimensional specs to help verify...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.