How to restore a faded soft top - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How to restore a faded soft top

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 07-04-2005, 11:31 AM   #1
JeepJoe12

How to restore a faded soft top

I apologize if this is in the wrong section. Has anyone had any success with restoring the color on a faded black soft top?

Thanks - JeepJoe12

JeepJoe12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2005, 01:33 PM   #2
JeepZJlover
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I just got done using the 303 aerospace protectant on mine and dam what a difference. Just dont use simple green on it like all the people on here and ju say to clean it with itll stain it really bad.
1993 Cherokee 4dr SE green, 4.0, Auto, HP30, 8.25, 3" lift 31" Goodyear Duratracs, Custom made front recovery bumper, Kenwood radio, 12" alpine type e subwoofer,alpine amplifier, Smittybilt xrc8 winch, tuff stuff portable winch receiver custom modified. 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0, 5 speed, Dana 30 front, Dana 44 trac loc rear, Stock

Last edited by JeepZJlover; 07-04-2005 at 02:40 PM..
JeepZJlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2005, 01:51 PM   #3
ironbelle
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Pretty Harsh Words.

Those are some pretty harsh words for this forum. Sometimes we will disagree on information, to to just call people "retards" is out of line.
RE 4.5 SF w/ 3.5" Springs
OME Nitro Shocks
Tera SYE/Tom Woods DS
AtoZ Rockers
Skid Row Engine Skid
Warn Diff covers
Kilby Steering Box Skid
York OBA
OR-Fab Tire Carrier
Red Jeep Club Member #240
I am the Anti Bling!
ironbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2005, 02:40 PM   #4
JeepZJlover
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Better now?
1993 Cherokee 4dr SE green, 4.0, Auto, HP30, 8.25, 3" lift 31" Goodyear Duratracs, Custom made front recovery bumper, Kenwood radio, 12" alpine type e subwoofer,alpine amplifier, Smittybilt xrc8 winch, tuff stuff portable winch receiver custom modified. 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0, 5 speed, Dana 30 front, Dana 44 trac loc rear, Stock
Unread 07-04-2005, 02:55 PM   #5
ironbelle
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Definately

This is a great board and I'd hate to see it end up like the other petty boards out in cyber land. Incidentally, I've been looking for something to clean my top with so I am going to look into your advise ZJLover.
RE 4.5 SF w/ 3.5" Springs
OME Nitro Shocks
Tera SYE/Tom Woods DS
AtoZ Rockers
Skid Row Engine Skid
Warn Diff covers
Kilby Steering Box Skid
York OBA
OR-Fab Tire Carrier
Red Jeep Club Member #240
I am the Anti Bling!
ironbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2005, 11:02 PM   #6
JeepJoe12

I just went to 303's site:
http://www.303products.com/main.php?infopage=home

After digging around to try and understand which product to use, they indicate that
the aerospace product is for vinyl tops and that the fabric product is for fabric tops.

http://www.303products.com/tech/inde...Product_ID=365

This link
http://www.303products.com/tech/inde...category_id=47

Tells you, by vehicle, what type of convertible top (vinyl or fabric) each type of vehicle has. It indicates that all Wranglers are fabric tops.

Anyway, I've seen other posts speaking highly in regards to 303. It looks to
me like they recommend the 303 hightech fabric guard and have a convertible top kit:

http://www.303products.com/main.php?infopage=kits

I'm going to buy some and give it a try..

Thanks - JeepJoe12
Unread 07-05-2005, 12:04 AM   #7
BlackVTX

Has anyone here actually used the 303 products? I have a black top that has mud stains on it and need something to turn it back to black.
BlackVTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2005, 12:58 PM   #8
JeepZJlover
2002 TJ Wrangler 

well i have a black top and i just use there protectant but hey you guys buy what you want but quite personally i think the top is actually a vinyl fabric combination.
Unread 07-07-2005, 09:56 AM   #9
Av Native

I use 303 on everything, tires, top, flairs, interior, I even use it on my wifes van, daughters car, and my MH, It will collect some dust but nothing like armor all, due to no petroleum distilliates.

I stopped by the dealer one day for a prob and they made a comment on how good it looked and was suprised the flairs werent grey due to fading, they even commented that the jeep still looks as good as new after a year and 18,000 miles. and this is in the upper desert of southern ca.. The land of faded out and dried out anything..
JC fab rockers and 1" seat lift
33"BFG MT's
Nth degree adjustable upper arm
Nth degree lower arms
Power trax front locker
Av Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2005, 11:00 AM   #10
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The outer layer is fabric.

I generally soap it up REAL good and then lightly use a brush to work the soap into the fabric to get the red dirt from around here out.

While I have used Simple Green a couple of times for really tough stains, I'd still prefer the 303 cleaner to clean it then the 303 protectant to help with UV protection.

Anyways, I spray the 303 over small sections of the top at a time. Wait a minute or two for it to soak in, then wipe excess off.

Top looks great.
Green Jeep Member #155
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Member #35

Keep moving forward. But keep an eye on history, for if you don't, you are doomed to repeat it.
erickpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2005, 11:06 AM   #11
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

303 is a great product but it won't restore faded black vinyl back to black. If the top is that faded, there are vinyl dye products in all automotive parts stores.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2005, 07:49 AM   #12
JeepJoe12

I just had an email correspondence with a rep from 303. He indicated that the page on their site that says all wranglers are fabric tops is incorrect. He said they are actually vinyl?? I don't know.. feels kind of like fabric to me.

AvNative - Is the 303 product you use the aerospace product or the fabric product?

Thanks - Jeepjoe12
Unread 07-08-2005, 09:43 AM   #13
Av Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepJoe12
I just had an email correspondence with a rep from 303. He indicated that the page on their site that says all wranglers are fabric tops is incorrect. He said they are actually vinyl?? I don't know.. feels kind of like fabric to me.

AvNative - Is the 303 product you use the aerospace product or the fabric product?

Thanks - Jeepjoe12
Aerospace product.. When i bought this i didnt even know they had a fabric one, I originaly bought this for my rubber roof on my motor home and saw all the uses it said, The bottle even says for jeeps, I started using it on my mirrors, flairs, interior, top and tires and have been real happy with it, It does not collect dust anywhere near like armor all, it is not slippery due to there being no petroleum distilliates in it..

The stuff is rather expensive (53.95 a gln) but worth it, a little goes along way and for what it does its very well worth it.

If you get this stuff, check there sight for the nearest distributor, I got mine for six dollars less than there site and didnt have to pay shipping, Even there site will tell you that you can probably get it cheaper at a distributor than there site
JC fab rockers and 1" seat lift
33"BFG MT's
Nth degree adjustable upper arm
Nth degree lower arms
Power trax front locker
Av Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2005, 09:45 AM   #14
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepJoe12

Thanks - Jeepjoe12
Um, it's a vinyl coated fabric... but probably a bit more fabric than vinyl.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2005, 11:56 AM   #15
k8ysv
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Please refer to the following FAQ entry on 303's website. In the first answer on this page:

http://www.303products.com/techinfo/faq_protectant.htm

It specifically states that ALL factory Jeep tops (and a vast majority of aftermarket tops) are VINYL.
2004 Patriot Blue Wrangler X, 33"x10.5" BFG Mud Terrains, 4WDH 2" lift with 3/4 inch spacers, 1" BL, 1" Brown Dog MML, Yukon 4.56 gears, Yukon Super 35, ARBs front and rear, Warn 9.5ti winch, GPS, MP3, Some hooks and lotsa skids.
k8ysv is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.