how to reset check engine light - JeepForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 02-18-2010, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
dawgknight
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: florida
Posts: 34
how to reset check engine light

how do you reset check engine light so i can see if i have fixed the problem?

dawgknight is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 Old 02-18-2010, 01:56 PM
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Elkmont
Posts: 10,050
Disconnect the battery for a few moments.

Keep in mind that free advice can frequently be worth less than you pay for it.
mdm is offline  
post #3 of 23 Old 02-18-2010, 01:56 PM
BWFBezerk
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Utica, NY
Posts: 923
Drive it for 20 miles or so to see if it goes away, resetting it does nothing. If the problem is fixed the light will go out, a lot sooner than if you reset it and drove the 50+ miles to have the computer cycle.
BWFBezerk is offline  
post #4 of 23 Old 02-18-2010, 01:58 PM
Yury
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgknight View Post
how do you reset check engine light so i can see if i have fixed the problem?
well i use the scanner tool. i heard if you pull the cable off the battery for a bit it should reset it. also if you fixed the problem it goes away after about 500 miles or so.

hope this helps
Yury is offline  
post #5 of 23 Old 02-18-2010, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
dawgknight
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: florida
Posts: 34
thanks. i must have a couple of bad 02 senser. code p0155 and p0135. local shop thought they had fixed the problem header bolts were not tight. light went off but now it is back on. at roughfly 100 bucks apiece i hate to buy them if i do not have to
dawgknight is offline  
post #6 of 23 Old 02-18-2010, 01:59 PM
Yury
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 689
they beat me to it. also dont forget if you reset it with a scanner tool and you go to get inspected they can see that you did it and might fail you. at least here in new york they will
Yury is offline  
post #7 of 23 Old 02-18-2010, 02:00 PM
BWFBezerk
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Utica, NY
Posts: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yury View Post
well i use the scanner tool. i heard if you pull the cable off the battery for a bit it should reset it. also if you fixed the problem it goes away after about 500 miles or so.

hope this helps
I hope that 500 was a typo lol
BWFBezerk is offline  
post #8 of 23 Old 02-18-2010, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
dawgknight
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: florida
Posts: 34
fyi anybody thinking about a supercharger? this one seems to help alot. it is not something i would have spent money on but it was already on the jeep.i do think it plays havic on the computer sytem even with the unichip
dawgknight is offline  
post #9 of 23 Old 02-18-2010, 02:03 PM
Yury
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWFBezerk View Post
I hope that 500 was a typo lol
sorry i meant less i realized that i was doing something else and for some reason the number stuck in my head. lol

long day
Yury is offline  
post #10 of 23 Old 04-20-2010, 08:43 PM
dukemantee
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 8
I also had the check engine light re-appear after using a scanner tool....
I got a warning related to O2 system..but the previous owner of the jeep says it's the gas cap.... I've had mechanic check it out, and everything looks fine.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue because of the gas cap?
I am worried because I may sell the jeep at some point, and this could potentially scare people off.
dukemantee is offline  
post #11 of 23 Old 04-20-2010, 09:10 PM
Yury
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukemantee View Post
I also had the check engine light re-appear after using a scanner tool....
I got a warning related to O2 system..but the previous owner of the jeep says it's the gas cap.... I've had mechanic check it out, and everything looks fine.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue because of the gas cap?
I am worried because I may sell the jeep at some point, and this could potentially scare people off.
you can get a check engine light if your gas cap is loose. its not the same one as the 02 sensor i believe. IIRC its something like check emissions system or something of that nature.
Yury is offline  
post #12 of 23 Old 04-20-2010, 09:13 PM
cpleasant
Registered User
 
cpleasant's Avatar
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Maryland
Posts: 905
Evap system for the gas cap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liredneck View Post
I know your rite I seid the dealer seid the same thing as you and that I don't want them there , but I was asking another qeustin as in what do I do about the slots in the brackets couse if I just put a bolt in there it will slide back and fourth but again thank you all knowing and powerfull jeep god sorry us lesser jeep peeons might have some more qeustins in the future , so please if there to much for you sit back relax go to the next post
cpleasant is offline  
post #13 of 23 Old 04-20-2010, 09:34 PM
dukemantee
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 8
i've checked if it's loose....the light does come and go....
do you know if an aftermarket gas cap can fix this?

Maybe i can get the official 2007-2010 model jeep gas cap from mopar if it fits...
I like that it requires a key to open the cap.
dukemantee is offline  
post #14 of 23 Old 04-20-2010, 09:57 PM
Yury
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpleasant View Post
Evap system for the gas cap.
yeah thats it
Yury is offline  
post #15 of 23 Old 04-21-2010, 03:44 AM
cpleasant
Registered User
 
cpleasant's Avatar
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Maryland
Posts: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukemantee View Post
i've checked if it's loose....the light does come and go....
do you know if an aftermarket gas cap can fix this?

Maybe i can get the official 2007-2010 model jeep gas cap from mopar if it fits...
I like that it requires a key to open the cap.
Don't waste your money like I did in buying a non-factory gas cap. Mine went from a small leak code to a large one when I did that.

The only thing that fixed my evap leak was the correct OEM gas cap. Jeep Wrangler accessory and original Jeep parts and accessories - only from Jeepsareus.com has them, but they are a little pricey. You may be able to find cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liredneck View Post
I know your rite I seid the dealer seid the same thing as you and that I don't want them there , but I was asking another qeustin as in what do I do about the slots in the brackets couse if I just put a bolt in there it will slide back and fourth but again thank you all knowing and powerfull jeep god sorry us lesser jeep peeons might have some more qeustins in the future , so please if there to much for you sit back relax go to the next post
cpleasant is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
Is there a way to reset "check engine" light? wildbadbill YJ Wrangler Technical Forum 8 05-01-2009 11:56 AM
Check Engine Light Reset Procedure WORKS! YEA! Overdrive TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 11 12-16-2006 10:28 PM
Check engine Light 03' 2.4 reset Gunkel TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 11 05-07-2006 07:45 AM
How to Reset the computer (Check engine light)? BNovak TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 3 06-27-2004 03:54 PM
Check Engine Light reset skatedork TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 16 06-19-2003 09:59 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome