How-to-replace-your-frame write up. could take a while - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How-to-replace-your-frame write up. could take a while

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comECGS American Made Stub ShaftsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 09-15-2010, 09:42 PM   #61
fuelkl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Got rust holes in the same area and I'm looking at doing a frame swap also. I could probably weld it up but I'm really not sure yet. I'll try to post some pictures soon. I have a 2.5 litre with a 5 speed. What year frames can I use?

fuelkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2010, 06:26 AM   #62
daveg13try2
1999 TJ Wrangler 

With all the time and headaches involved, wouldn't it be easier and much more cost effective to pick up another TJ with a good frame and swap any aftermarket parts from the bad one to the good one? Then part the old one out.
daveg13try2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2010, 06:29 AM   #63
Osgood

I am following your refinishing process for the new frame, as I am doing the same thing with my '05 LJ frame. I want to ensure that it is treated/prepared/coated as good as I can so that I don't have to look down the barrel of frame replacement later on in life.
You are doing a very commendable job, and keep up the good work!
Unread 09-16-2010, 07:53 AM   #64
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveg13try2 View Post
With all the time and headaches involved, wouldn't it be easier and much more cost effective to pick up another TJ with a good frame and swap any aftermarket parts from the bad one to the good one? Then part the old one out.
X2 to that and I wonder about the frame swap process legally!! Shouldn't the chassis (frame) number stay the same as in the VIN plate for inspection or whatever?
TeeJay00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2010, 09:35 AM   #65
Osgood

Depending on your state I guess, but in Indiana, they don't inspect vehicles as in other states. That being said, who is to say an Indiana vehicle ends up in a state where they DO inspect and it would become an issue? Hmm.
I know that I am in for some radar time when it comes to inspections, as I am building an LJ from a totalled vehicle. In OHIO, when one is totalled, the salvage yard is required to remove tags and VIN plates from the vehicle. I am going to be registering my jeep with an 'assigned VIN' from the BMV, and am sure they will want to see what ID I have for it if any.
Where though on a frame is the VIN stamped? I have not seen it yet, but then again I may not be looking in the right area. To my knowledge it may not even be on there to create an issue.
Unread 09-16-2010, 10:57 AM   #66
FarFire70
2005 TJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=Osgood;10134462]Where though on a frame is the VIN stamped?[QUOTE]

My 05 TJ has it stamped on side of the frame facing out, just under the passenger door. Of course your could always hit it with a grinder then there's no problem at all.

Great thread by the way. I was wondering what happened to this Jeep. I've been hitting my frame with sand paper/wire wheel, alcohol, and rustoleum flat black to try to keep up with the rust. I've seen plenty of TJs around me with rusted frames and I know I need to stay ahead of it.

Good luck with this project. Keep the pictures coming!

2005 Wrangler Sport, 4.0L, 6spd
2" BB, JKS 1.25" BL & MML, M/T MTZ 33x12.50R15
HP D30: Aussie Locker, D44: Eaton Elocker
FarFire70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2010, 03:47 PM   #67
jerseyjeep22
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveg13try2 View Post
probably not to be honest, to find a 97-02 with a GOOD frame on it, it would have to be in pretty good shape. That would be like 3k and up at the CHEAPEST.

Along with that, I would rather not ruin my yard with a jeep part-out, who knows how long it would take to get rid of everything?

We are just looking to get this done to the best of our ability, without taking shortcuts, but also to save as much money as possible.
jerseyjeep22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2010, 03:48 PM   #68
jerseyjeep22
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well now we are also considering doing an SYE/cv driveshaft, and upper adjustables while its apart

If your gonna do it, might as well do it right, right?
Unread 09-16-2010, 08:44 PM   #69
FarFire70
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjeep22 View Post
Well now we are also considering doing an SYE/cv driveshaft, and upper adjustables while its apart

If your gonna do it, might as well do it right, right?
Only if you need it. An SYE can be done with the TC still in the Jeep and so can the adjustable uppers. If you had vibes before the frame crapped out then definitely do it now. Otherwise I'd wait til you need it.

Unread 09-16-2010, 10:29 PM   #70
fuelkl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

For most it would be easier to get another wrangler. But most of you have not owned the same TJ since July 1996. I just retired it from daily duty last September. Me and that Jeep have seen alot together. I have 225,000 miles and I'll probably not touch the motor or manual trans when I swap frames just so I can see how much further she'll go. Even with the rotted frame the rest of the body is solid. It's just crap that these frames aren't coated better from the factory. How well are the JK frames holding up?
fuelkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2010, 06:47 AM   #71
Osgood

if you all do any drilling on your frames for water holes, can you please take pics of where and how the final result looked? Just curious. Thanks in advance!
Unread 09-17-2010, 07:04 AM   #72
jerseyjeep22
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarFire70 View Post
Only if you need it. An SYE can be done with the TC still in the Jeep and so can the adjustable uppers. If you had vibes before the frame crapped out then definitely do it now. Otherwise I'd wait til you need it.
i had vibes and a TC drop, which i hate. we are putting in a MML as well, but i just want to eliminate the need for any of that.
Unread 09-17-2010, 07:06 AM   #73
jerseyjeep22
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelkl View Post
For most it would be easier to get another wrangler. But most of you have not owned the same TJ since July 1996. I just retired it from daily duty last September. Me and that Jeep have seen alot together. I have 225,000 miles and I'll probably not touch the motor or manual trans when I swap frames just so I can see how much further she'll go. Even with the rotted frame the rest of the body is solid. It's just crap that these frames aren't coated better from the factory. How well are the JK frames holding up?
yeah the coating job they did from the factory seems like a real ****y job. My body is in great shape, but the frame is completely shot. Hopefully they fixed it for the JKs

by the way, more pics to come today! going home in two hours....i know what im doing all weekend
Unread 09-17-2010, 07:25 AM   #74
woodnjeep
1979 CJ5 

I'm subscribing. I live in the land where they salt cure roadkill.
So I figure I'll be in same situation soon enough.

And I too would like to see pics of the drain holes that need to be drilled.
My 2006 LJ is in pretty good shape. Like to try and keep it that way.
woodnjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2010, 09:49 PM   #75
FarFire70
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnjeep View Post
And I too would like to see pics of the drain holes that need to be drilled.
My 2006 LJ is in pretty good shape. Like to try and keep it that way.
x2. I put 2 washer between my TC skid and frame so that I could wash it (& the salt) out regularly. That was a major point of rust when I remove the skid. I also drilled a hole at the rear lower control arm mount on both sides. Any other points to consider?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.