How to replace starter? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How to replace starter?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 07-12-2009, 02:57 PM   #1
stockpile
2004 TJ Wrangler 

How to replace starter?

Just did a search, but could not find any start to finish write ups on how to replace a starter on a Rubicon. Basically, I will guess it goes something like this...
- Disconnect battery
- Disconnect wiring from starter
- Unbolt and remove old starter / solenoid
- Mount and bolt new starter / solenoid
- Connect wiring
- Reconnect battery

Hopefully I am not biting off more than I can chew. Since I cannot find a write-up, I assume that is because it is very straight forward? The hardest part looks like it will be getting my big hands in there to twist the bolts .

stockpile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2009, 02:58 PM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

It's just as easy as you described though I wouldn't bother disconnecting the battery for this particular job.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2009, 03:00 PM   #3
skipwheat
2005 LJ Wrangler 

that about sums it up ive never had the pleasure of doing it on a jeep but ive replaced several starters on a bunch of old ford, chevy and dodge's i would imagine with as much room as there is all around the motor it shouldnt be too much of a hassle usually about the time it takes to drink a couple beers and your done happy wrenching
skipwheat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2009, 03:03 PM   #4
03rubiconMG
2003 TJ Wrangler 

it takes me about 25 minutes to change over a starter. it is very very easy.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3374/...376a0a33_o.jpg
03rubiconMG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2009, 05:20 PM   #5
stockpile
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks, that was an easy job. Removing the + cable was a bit tricky due to some rust on the bolt and negotiating the exhaust pipe and oil pan with my socket. Some penetrating fluid would have helped, but no big deal in the long run, just wasted a few minutes extra on that. Installing the new one took a matter of minutes and my TJ started right up .
stockpile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2009, 08:26 PM   #6
tangofox007
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
...though I wouldn't bother disconnecting the battery for this particular job.
There happens fo be a positive cable that connects the battery to the starter. It is hot at all times. If you happen to touch your wrench to ground while disconnecting said cable, I suspect you that you will wish that you had disconnected the battery.

A fellow that I used to know received third degree burns around his wrist and required surgery when his metal watchband created a ground path between the starter solenoid terminal and the engine block while doing this very job.
tangofox007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2010, 01:17 PM   #7
reondadomino
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Just bought an 88 Jeep Wrangler and am trying to replace the starter. I have everything disconnected but am not sure about which bolts to remove.

There are 2 on the bottom of the starter, which I think go to a bracket above it and hold it in place. However, every pic I've seen shows the bolts being removed horizontally from the front/side of the transmission. I see those bolts but they don't look like they connect to the starter at all. They look like transmission case bolts and they are pretty big...

Any suggestions? I don't wanna do more than I have to, lol, it's pretty rusty underneath there
reondadomino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2010, 01:39 PM   #8
reondadomino
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Anyone?
reondadomino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2011, 10:36 PM   #9
nhlx38
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by reondadomino View Post
Just bought an 88 Jeep Wrangler and am trying to replace the starter. I have everything disconnected but am not sure about which bolts to remove.

There are 2 on the bottom of the starter, which I think go to a bracket above it and hold it in place. However, every pic I've seen shows the bolts being removed horizontally from the front/side of the transmission. I see those bolts but they don't look like they connect to the starter at all. They look like transmission case bolts and they are pretty big...

Any suggestions? I don't wanna do more than I have to, lol, it's pretty rusty underneath there
same issue here!
nhlx38 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2011, 10:54 PM   #10
Alkaline
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Look at the new starter, and how it bolts on, that should tell you everything you need to know...

'98 TJ (toy), '91 XJ Briarwood(DD)
Alkaline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2011, 11:19 PM   #11
RckyMtnTJ

One bolt comes through the starter into the transmission. The other comes from the back through the transmission and into the starter.
Unread 01-09-2011, 11:55 PM   #12
BigD97TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

It's an easy job. Just did it the other day.
Now 30 minutes? I don't know about that but I also stripped the upper bolt that threads into the starter torquing it to spec so I had to get a replacement.
BigD97TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2011, 12:02 AM   #13
austentatious
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Shoot, replacing a starter shouldnt take more than ten min...its incredibly easy. Easier than taking the top on and off.

|ProComp|Rokmen|Zone|MetalCloak|RockHard|Mastercraft|TomWoods|Novak|TenFactory|Synergy|
austentatious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2011, 12:50 AM   #14
BigD97TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well I do consider myself half retarded.
I found that the bolts were a little difficult to get and since I have a leak everything is covered in crap down there.
I don't disagree with the fact that it's possible to do in ten minutes, next time I'll just have you do it and I'll supply the beer
BigD97TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2011, 12:51 AM   #15
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangofox007 View Post
There happens fo be a positive cable that connects the battery to the starter. It is hot at all times. If you happen to touch your wrench to ground while disconnecting said cable, I suspect you that you will wish that you had disconnected the battery.

A fellow that I used to know received third degree burns around his wrist and required surgery when his metal watchband created a ground path between the starter solenoid terminal and the engine block while doing this very job.
This is one of the reasons why no matter what repairs you are doing you should always remove all jewelry before working on vehicles, I have heard this same thing happening with peoples wedding bands. Also getting a piece of Jewelery stuck on something can cause all sorts of problems, my uncle nearly lost his finger working on a boat because his wedding band got hooked on something and the boat was in motion.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.