How to replace freeze plugs? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How to replace freeze plugs?

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 02-21-2011, 11:09 AM   #1
Goalie990

How to replace freeze plugs?

My sisters jeep is leaking coolant out of some of the freeze plugs. I have not see what ones yet but I want to ask you guys what it takes to replace them. I am mechanically inclined and can replace them but want to know if you have to remove the motor or what? Any info would help.

Goalie990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2011, 11:14 AM   #2
athos76
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Last time I replaced a freeze plug, we soaked it in PB blast for a bit to loosen it, then ran the engine to warm everything up, more PB and a little torch action. Then using a good quality hex socket and some valve grinding compound on the tip, tap it in with a hammer and slowly loosen it. If it gets too tight, PB and torch it again. When you put it back in, a little Tite Seal or non hardening gasket compound will do wonders
Unread 02-21-2011, 11:19 AM   #3
Goalie990

All that to get a freeze plug out? I figured you could just stab it with some thing and yank it out. Was just wondering about the location of them and how hard they are to get to.
Unread 02-21-2011, 12:01 PM   #4
JeffBowser
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I had my rear freeze plug replaced a few years back. Went from a quick one hour job to an all day job when they had trouble getting the new one to seal. They ended up going through a couple of them, and using a non-hardening compound. It was hard to get to, but they managed without pulling the engine.
JeffBowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2011, 12:17 PM   #5
athos76
2006 TJ Wrangler 

D'oh... Freeze plug that took that amount of work was on a Turbo Diesel... Forgot heeps have the other kind...

Yea, stab it and pull it out...
Unread 02-21-2011, 12:24 PM   #6
Goalie990

Just wondering but what diesel took that long? My cummins is the same as the jeep. I put billet freeze plugs in my cummins. How many freeze plugs are there total on the jeep and what are the locations?
Unread 02-21-2011, 01:17 PM   #7
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

5 along the driverside under the manifolds and 2 in rear and 1 on the head.
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2011, 01:18 PM   #8
Goalie990

So with the manifold off you should be able to get to the one on the side and i hear to use a rubber expanding plug for the rear if I dont want to pull the motor. What size rubber plug for the rear?
Unread 02-21-2011, 01:29 PM   #9
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goalie990 View Post
My sisters jeep is leaking coolant out of some of the freeze plugs. I have not see what ones yet but I want to ask you guys what it takes to replace them. I am mechanically inclined and can replace them but want to know if you have to remove the motor or what? Any info would help.
It might also help to know the year and engine.
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2011, 01:36 PM   #10
Goalie990

opps its a 6cylinder and its a TJ donno the exact year id have to ask.. i think 98 or 99. They are the same for quite some time tho right?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.