how to remove front driveshaft - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > how to remove front driveshaft

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 02-27-2009, 06:07 PM   #1
timdastis
2000 TJ Wrangler 

how to remove front driveshaft

im going to be replacing my u joints this weekend - i tried to start today by pulling my front drive shaft so i can take it inside to make it easier to work with - anyway i got the 4-5/16" screws out of the pinion and i thought it would just pull - i guess theres no front yoke on the tcase but i tried looking and couldnt find anything that looked similar on the tcase side of the driveshaft

what do i have to do to get it out? i wouldve sat under the jeep longer to figure it out but it started raining - also whatever it is i have to get to can i do it without removing/dropping the skid plate?

i tried looking on stu's website but nowhere does he tell u how to pull the shaft

thanks

4" Franken Lift | 1" Daystar BL | Rancho Shocks | Iggee Seats | Cragar Soft 8s | 35" BFG MT | Yukon 4.88s | Smittybilt XRC8 Winch | AtoZ Front Bumper | Nate 4x4 Rear | KC Daylites | more to come
timdastis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2009, 06:09 PM   #2
alecmcmahon

real easy, remove the 4 bolts and straps on the front of the DS where it connects to the axle, on the rear in front of the transfer case there are an additional 4 bolts, you might be able to get them from the back with an extension and a universal, or just stick your arm up in there with a small 1/4 socket and have at it.

you'll need to rotate the drive shaft to move each bolt to get to it. ( either jack the front end up , and rotate wheels, or just roll the truck back a few inches )

I personally find it best when the bolt is at the 6-7 o clock position,

if your bolts are on there real good like mine were, you may consider dropping your transfer case skid plate a bit for better access to them

if i recall, i think the socket for the bolts are 8MM
alecmcmahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2009, 06:17 PM   #3
JJs99TJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Im pretty sure 8mm is right too for the bolts that attach it to the front yoke at the
t-case. It can be done like alec said, but without dropping the skid its a PITA
JJs99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2009, 06:20 PM   #4
timdastis
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecmcmahon View Post
real easy, remove the 4 bolts and straps on the front of the DS where it connects to the axle, on the rear in front of the transfer case there are an additional 4 bolts, you might be able to get them from the back with an extension and a universal, or just stick your arm up in there with a small 1/4 socket and have at it.

you'll need to rotate the drive shaft to move each bolt to get to it. ( either jack the front end up , and rotate wheels, or just roll the truck back a few inches )

I personally find it best when the bolt is at the 6-7 o clock position,

if your bolts are on there real good like mine were, you may consider dropping your transfer case skid plate a bit for better access to them

if i recall, i think the socket for the bolts are 8MM

thats what i figured. i just couldnt see where they r on the backside of the driveshaft...guess ill have to drop the tcase

4" Franken Lift | 1" Daystar BL | Rancho Shocks | Iggee Seats | Cragar Soft 8s | 35" BFG MT | Yukon 4.88s | Smittybilt XRC8 Winch | AtoZ Front Bumper | Nate 4x4 Rear | KC Daylites | more to come
timdastis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2009, 06:22 PM   #5
chappy84
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The t case side of the ds is bolted to a circular metal flangeoff the t case btw.
Unread 02-27-2009, 06:36 PM   #6
Kiwi Jeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timdastis View Post
thats what i figured. i just couldnt see where they r on the backside of the driveshaft...guess ill have to drop the tcase
It can be done without dropping the transfer case skid. I have done a couple of times that way. You just have to search for the four bolts on the yoke by hand to get the feel first.
Kiwi Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2009, 06:36 PM   #7
alecmcmahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by timdastis View Post

give a try without dropping it first.

i was able to get them off with about three 6" extensions, a 3/8 universal, and a 8mm socket working from the back of the TC skid plate.

after that ( being the 1st time coming off ) if i need to remove the front DS i just get out a little 1/4 drive socket with the 1/4 drive 8mm socket, and it comes right out.

good luck, try not to strip the bolt heads out, make sure the socket is on good and tight.

it'll make for a fun satuday trying to remove the stripped out bolts, ask me how i know..
alecmcmahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2009, 06:53 PM   #8
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

In the Tcase skid there is an oblong hole...if you move each bolt into the 4:30 position you can see it right through the hole and just stick your arm in there and have at it

Current vehicles: 06 F250 Superduty - 6.0L PSD Straight piped and tuned
03 CBR600RR -1 +2, Yoshi'd & Battlaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddisi View Post
Finesse in crawling looks way cooler than momentum.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2009, 10:02 AM   #9
Oderus123
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I am having a hard time removing the 4 bolts attached to the TC. From the back I cannot get to the bolts and from the front There just doesnt seem to be enough room. Any more ideas on this?
Oderus123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2009, 11:27 AM   #10
JakeAW
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oderus123 View Post
I am having a hard time removing the 4 bolts attached to the TC. From the back I cannot get to the bolts and from the front There just doesnt seem to be enough room. Any more ideas on this?
Take a 3/4" socket and remove the 6 bolts holding on the skid

Don't forget to support the tranny when you take it off.
Unread 12-11-2009, 12:27 PM   #11
blkfreedom03
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I found it much easier to remove the whole skid as well, don't forget to support the trans/t case when you take it off.

Also, it was easier for me to set my parking brake and chock the wheels and manually shift the t case into and out of neutral from underneath to get the bolts at the right angle to be removed. When the bolts are where they have to be, just shift the t case back into gear to lock the driveshaft in place. If you have a manual trans, remember to keep that in either 1st or reverse.

Black Jeep Society
blkfreedom03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2012, 12:12 PM   #12
Slick101
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oderus123 View Post
I was able to hug the t case skid and put all my weight on it
Unread 01-26-2012, 12:17 PM   #13
Maverickxeo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJs99TJ View Post
Im pretty sure 8mm is right too for the bolts that attach it to the front yoke at the
t-case. It can be done like alec said, but without dropping the skid its a PITA
Its not bad... but I used a wrench after a few attempts with a ratchet and extension to get the back ones. I was able to get up comfortably and get the ones on back pretty easily. After they are out, you may need to pry on the front of the driveshaft to get it to pop out; at least I did on mine.
Maverickxeo is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.