how to remove fender flares?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > how to remove fender flares??

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-31-2008, 01:09 PM   #1
badboy97tj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

how to remove fender flares??

I know this sounds like an easy question but I went to remove mine today and it looks like there is a little insert that spins when I turn the bolt. Do I just grind the bolt off or is there another secret to do this ?
Thanks in advance!!
Josh

badboy97tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2008, 01:13 PM   #2
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Hold it with needle nose pliers.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2008, 01:14 PM   #3
jeepindirty
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The last time I took mine of I had to use a wrench on one side while a turned the bolt with a another wrench. Whatever you do resist the urge to break out the grinder! Oh yeah and on the back you might have to bend the inner fender well plastic up and out of the way to get to the nut.
jeepindirty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2008, 01:15 PM   #4
badboy97tj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Hello,
It is like there rusted enough where I can't hold them and there are some you can't get to.
Thanks
Unread 12-31-2008, 01:16 PM   #5
southernss
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i tried the neddle nose pliers but i could not grip it tight enough to keep it from spinning. i ended up just putting enough force on it to pop the whole thing out crew and all. but i was not to worried about it either because the rocker gaurds would cove the hole it left anyway.
southernss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2008, 01:16 PM   #6
slaphands
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I just took mine off a couple days ago to paint them. I just held the back with my fingers and used a wrench on the nut.

Edit: The rear flares are hard, you either have to pull your wheel wells off, or pull them down enough to slide your hand or pliers in there to hold the back piece.

Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club Member #313
Red Jeep Club Member #525
slaphands is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2008, 01:17 PM   #7
badboy97tj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

There is no nut to get to!
Unread 12-31-2008, 01:36 PM   #8
southernss
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy97tj View Post
correct! i believe you are talking about the small 12" flare below the door?
southernss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2008, 01:53 PM   #9
jeepindirty
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy97tj View Post
Mine must be weird or something cause they were held on with bolts!
jeepindirty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2008, 03:22 PM   #10
badboy97tj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

yes, that is the piece I'm talking about.
Unread 12-31-2008, 03:41 PM   #11
Jeep25
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepindirty View Post
The last time I took mine of I had to use a wrench on one side while a turned the bolt with a another wrench. Whatever you do resist the urge to break out the grinder! Oh yeah and on the back you might have to bend the inner fender well plastic up and out of the way to get to the nut.
BINGO!!!

That's what I did with mine and added a ton of extra work with drilling the screws out of the inserts.

Not fun.
Jeep25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2008, 04:13 PM   #12
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

You can push up on inner wheel well liner and hold the nutserts with a pair of pliers! It's pretty basic!
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2008, 07:31 PM   #13
Jim Shanks
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Are they going back on? If not, just yank them off. I had a couple spinning in my tub but I was putting crusher corners on so I just pulled. They will give and come over the bolts if needed.

Jim
Jim Shanks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2008, 07:37 PM   #14
Jeepball
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Try to back off the bolts just a little cuz that little peace slides off. Just pulll if you are putting on rocker guards. Just watch and make sure u dont pull the body out of wack.

Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club member #173

[URL="http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3047000"]http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3047000[/URL]

[url]http://fuh2.com/[/url]
Jeepball is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2008, 07:50 PM   #15
LARSONEM
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I just replaced front fenders on my Jeep. The fender flares were a bear to get off. The majority of the screws have a plastic block on the back that I was able to hold with a pair of channel locks. There were 2 or 3 screws on the fender flare that went into a 6 sided insert that went into the fender under the fender flare. The screws were rusted (I have a 1997 Wrangler and live in Michigan where salt is the name of the game in the winter) into the insert so badly that all it did was turn the 6 sided insert in the hole in the fender. There was no way you could hold it with channel locks. Same was true for 2 of the 3 screws that hold the fender flare extension on. I ended up cutting them off with a sawzaw (very carefully - wished I had a small grinder or Dremmel tool). In remounting them, I used all new screws into the plastic blocks and used a screw/washer/nut on the last 2 or 3 fender flare screws. For the lower fender flare extension, I found some plastic wing nuts, much like a molly bolt and ground it down a little and hammered them into the lower cowl, then drove new screws into them. Those darn 6 sided inserts were like $5.00+ from the Jeep stealership, special ordered at that. A trip to my local hardware netted me something to put it back togeather with for less then $5 total.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.