How to: Rear Wheel Axle Bearings - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How to: Rear Wheel Axle Bearings

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 03-25-2011, 08:20 PM   #1
NextJeep
2005 TJ Wrangler 

How to: Rear Wheel Axle Bearings

I am looking for a good "how to" for changing out the rear axle bearings. I have looked at the FAQ (it assumes I know more than I do) and all over the net and can't a clear explanation for removal and install. The install should be easy with a Dremel, though I would rather use a slide hammer. But the install is especially illusive--I can't find an explanation for this. If you have one, or can explain to me the process of installing the new bearing without a hydraulic press I would greatly appreciate it. I plan to take pics as I go through this repair and make a good walkthrough unless someone can lead me to one that is already online.
Thanks.

NextJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2011, 08:28 PM   #2
Jay12
1997 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/d44/d44-1.htm
Unread 03-25-2011, 08:42 PM   #3
NextJeep
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Jay. I appreciate the thread. Cutting and removal is pretty straight forward, but I am wondering if it is possible to do this job without a hydraulic bearing press. the thread you gave uses a hydraulica press to do the reassembly. Is it possible to do this job without a $200+ dollar tool? If so, what is the method?
Unread 03-25-2011, 08:44 PM   #4
Jay12
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I've always heard you need to have the bearings pressed on, but maybe someone else knows how to do it differently.
Unread 03-25-2011, 08:58 PM   #5
tangofox007
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NextJeep View Post
Is it possible to do this job without a $200+ dollar tool? If so, what is the method?
You can drive the bearing itself onto the axle pretty easily. The retaining ring is another story. It's a very tight fit and reasonably requires a press, in my experience.
tangofox007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2011, 09:02 PM   #6
BriansCJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay12 View Post
The OP has a Dana 35, which is different than doing the bearings in a D44.

On a D44, the bearings are pressed onto the shaft

On a D35, the bearings are not attatched to the shaft and are in the housing end.
Unread 03-25-2011, 09:19 PM   #7
NextJeep
2005 TJ Wrangler 

So will I need a bearing puller too? I already have a slide hammer. I am going to try and pull it apart in the morning. If I have to I will post pics with questions on here. With the Jeep my goals is to learn as much as possible and do all the work I can myself.
Unread 03-26-2011, 12:04 AM   #8
steelmillman
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I'm going to give you an industrial mechanic's secret to installing bearings and other press fit parts. It's called heat.....You can heat your bearing up to about 230 degrees without bluing it, and it will slip right on. Go about 300-350 for the retainer ring. I use a propane torch and a lazer heat reading gun, but you could also do it in an oven. Once the item it up to temp, waste no time sliding it in place, because the heat will rapidly be pulled out of if by your axle shaft....This method is widely used in industry, but hasn't seemed to make it to the automotive mechanics. I've installed bearings that cost $5000.00 + using this method, and I've done my axle shafts using this method....
steelmillman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2011, 12:27 AM   #9
dragginwagon406
1998 TJ Wrangler 

You have D35, it couldn't be easier:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragginwagon406 View Post
Changed the wheel bearings and axle seals.
Remove the seal in the same manner as the yoke.

The wheel bearing puller from Harbor Freight worked like a champ, a couple of quick hits with a slide hammer and the bearings slide right out.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=92884

Although probably not built for installing the new bearings, the washer which supports the bearing when pulling works great for installing the bearings too.
Slide hammer available at Autozone for rent. http://www.autozone.com/in_our_store...ide_hammer.htm

dragginwagon406 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2011, 12:29 AM   #10
dragginwagon406
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Read between the photos...I used the puller to install the bearings as well. Tap lightly and squarely, the washer is strong enough.
Unread 03-26-2011, 12:42 AM   #11
steelmillman
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragginwagon406 View Post
Read between the photos...I used the puller to install the bearings. Tap lightly and squarely, the washer is stronger enough.
Wow, disregard my advice....I have a D44, it's apparently a lot different set up!
steelmillman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2011, 09:11 AM   #12
tangofox007
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriansCJ View Post
On a D35, the bearings are not attatched to the shaft and are in the housing end.
While that might be true for the subject vehicle, it is not the case for all models of the Dana 35 axle.
tangofox007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2011, 09:40 AM   #13
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangofox007 View Post
While that might be true for the subject vehicle, it is not the case for all models of the Dana 35 axle.
Which TJ came with a 35 that doesn't have Torrington bearings identical to the pictures shown?
Unread 03-26-2011, 09:43 AM   #14
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NextJeep View Post
So will I need a bearing puller too? I already have a slide hammer. I am going to try and pull it apart in the morning. If I have to I will post pics with questions on here. With the Jeep my goals is to learn as much as possible and do all the work I can myself.
I don't own a slide hammer or a bearing puller. When I swap 35 bearings out, I peel the cage out of the bearing, pick out all the rollers which just leaves the race in place.

Then I fire up the welder and run a pass in between the two little flanges on the race about an inch long on opposite sides. When the welds cool, they shrink, and the race falls out.
Unread 03-26-2011, 09:44 AM   #15
dragginwagon406
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangofox007 View Post
Not all D44 are non c-clip either but this is TJ Tech.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.