how to polish AR polished aluminum rims? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > how to polish AR polished aluminum rims?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-20-2003, 04:05 PM   #1
keys741
1987 MJ Comanche 

how to polish AR polished aluminum rims?

I have American Racing polished aluminum rims on my Jeep and I was wondering how do I polish them?

Also I think I read on the manual that came with them that they are clear coated is this true?

If they are clear coated will it do any good to polish them anyway?

I was told by the guy at the store I bought them from that I would never need to polish them since they are polished aluminum, that polishing is only needed for chrome rims is this true?

Sorry for all these questions but if someone can answer as many of these as possible it would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

keys741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2003, 05:38 PM   #2
bigmatt
2001 XJ Cherokee 

If they are clear coated,all you should need to use is soap and water.Stay away from the harsh wheel cleaning products.

03 TJ sport, stock 4.0.dana 44 ,red w/black hardtop

2001 XJ Sport, stock 4.0L 130.000miles,soon to have new motor.)0331 head issue.
bigmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2003, 06:35 PM   #3
rmagers
1999 TJ Wrangler 

If they are Baja's they are not clear coated. Had a set on my last truck and spent a lot of time polishing. I used something from Blue Coral, it's a little jar of blue paste. Worked better than anything else I tried.

Ron
99 Sahara, 3" BDS Lift, 1" Body Lift, 2" spacers, 35X12.50 BFG Muds, KC's, Uniden Pro538W, Raingler Nets, Pioneer 760MP, RE Trackbars, Banks Header, Diamond plate corners, AtoZFabrication Rockers, RE Super-Flex RUCA's, Warn 9.5Ti, Cragar 397's, JB Conversions HD NP231, D44 4.56 Detroit, AtoZ Carrier, TBT Cage, TKHFab Front Bumper
My Pictures
More Pics
rmagers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2003, 06:49 PM   #4
xxxflhrci

Re: how to polish AR polished aluminum rims?

Quote:
Originally posted by keys741
I have American Racing polished aluminum rims on my Jeep and I was wondering how do I polish them?

Also I think I read on the manual that came with them that they are clear coated is this true?

If they are clear coated will it do any good to polish them anyway?

I was told by the guy at the store I bought them from that I would never need to polish them since they are polished aluminum, that polishing is only needed for chrome rims is this true?

Sorry for all these questions but if someone can answer as many of these as possible it would be greatly, greatly appreciated.
If they are Americans, they are probably clear coated. Just wash 'em. Be careful with tire cleaners, they will get under the clear and cause it to bubble up. I have 2 sets of Outlaw II's that are nearly 10 years old and look like new.
xxxflhrci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2003, 07:23 AM   #5
Jim Shanks
2001 TJ Wrangler 

My AR-136's are not clear coated. I was told to use the AR wheel polish. Comes in a 2 black bottles. After cleaning it up really good with soap and water you rub this stuff on like wax, polish it back off. Then put on wheel protect that is supposed to let brake dust and stuff fall right off. When it's done right they look great. You should be able to get the stuff at any AR dealer, like $7 if I remember right and you should get about a dozen cleanings out of it.

HTH

Jim
Jim Shanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2003, 01:33 PM   #6
keys741
1987 MJ Comanche 

Thanks guys, I have AR Atlas rims that are polished aluminum..but I don't know if they are clear coated. If anyone knows if Atlas polished aluminums are clear coated please let me know.
keys741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2003, 01:57 PM   #7
GRLSCAN2

I have AR polished aluminum also, and they are starting to lose the "shiny, silver" look. They are getting kind of yellowed, and splotchy (is that a word??) Will regular aluminum polish do the job? I've been told to take them to someone to professionally clean and polish. Could the yellowed look be from using wheel cleaner? (It said it was safe on aluminum!!) Another list of questions.....
Thanks!
quick-loc front, limited slip rear (for now!)
JKS quick disco's
Rancho Steering Stabilizer
uhh...hi-lift, CB, windshield-mount lights, and other toys
(but growing)
GRLSCAN2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2003, 02:11 PM   #8
rmagers
1999 TJ Wrangler 

From American Racing website:

Atlas Chrome (Series 660)
1-piece alloy, chrome plated

Atlas Polished (Series 160)
1-piece alloy, polished

How do I care for my wheels?

Wheel care by Type of wheel finish

Important! Wheels require care to maintain their factory finish. Typical road soils trap moisture which can cause corrosion over a period of time. Brake dust, caused by friction of your car's braking system, is itself corrosive and can cause pitting of the wheels finish. These soils must be removed regularly, possibly weekly, depending on your driving habits. Your wheels finish should be treated as you would treat the finish of your car. Mild dish soap and water is all you need to properly clean your wheels. Other household cleaning agents are too harsh for the finish on your wheels and must be avoided. There are also a vast number of commercially available wheel cleaners on the market today, but we urge extreme caution regarding their use, since they tend to be acid or lye based.

1.) ADDITIONAL TIPS - Never clean wheels when they are hot. Never spray cold water on extremely hot wheels. Always allow time to cool before cleaning with soap and water. To prevent scratching of the wheels' finish, never clean your wheels with scouring pads. If you use automatic car washes, tell them not to use steam cleaners or strong chemicals to clean your wheels. They can cause permanent staining or corrosion. Use caution when cleaning tires with steel wool or a bristle brush. These types of abrasive materials must not come in contact with the wheels. Never allow any harsh chemicals or tire cleaner to come in contact with the wheels, as they can damage the appearance of the wheel permanently.
2.) CHROME STEEL WHEELS - SURFACE CORROSION OR RUST CAN BE PREVENTED WITH PROPER CARE AND IS NOT COVERED UNDER ANY WARRANTY. NOTE: This does not apply to clear-coated chrome plated steel wheels. (See limited warranty for details.) Clean with mild dish soap and water and dry with a soft cloth. After cleaning, always apply a coat of soft nonabrasive cream wax to prevent surface corrosion.
3.) CLEAR COATED ALUMINUM WHEELS - Clean with mild dish soap and water and dry with a soft cloth.
4.) POLISHED ALUMINUM WHEELS - THE FINISH ON POLISHED WHEELS IS NOT COVERED UNDER ANY WARRANTY. (See limited warranty for details.) This type of non-clear coated wheel finish requires additional care and maintenance to keep the luxurious factory shine. The finish will diminish naturally without proper and constant maintenance. Polished wheels should be cleaned with mild soap and water and dried with a soft cloth. Then use American Racing's specially formulated custom wheel polish and wheel seal to bring back the shine to oxidized wheels. Our custom wheel polish is recommended for polished aluminum billet and other non-coated metal finishes. The wheel seal is an effective brake dust releasing agent and will reduce polishing frequency. These exclusive factory formulas are safe, aggressive and easy to use and can be used on billet or cast aluminum polished wheels. (Do not use on clear-coated wheels!)
5.) CHROME PLATED ALUMINUM WHEELS - Clean with mild dish soap and water and dry with a soft cloth. Use American Racing Custom Wheel seal to reduce cleaning frequency and protect the chromed wheel surface.
99 Sahara, 3" BDS Lift, 1" Body Lift, 2" spacers, 35X12.50 BFG Muds, KC's, Uniden Pro538W, Raingler Nets, Pioneer 760MP, RE Trackbars, Banks Header, Diamond plate corners, AtoZFabrication Rockers, RE Super-Flex RUCA's, Warn 9.5Ti, Cragar 397's, JB Conversions HD NP231, D44 4.56 Detroit, AtoZ Carrier, TBT Cage, TKHFab Front Bumper
My Pictures
More Pics
rmagers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2003, 03:56 PM   #9
SAJeep

I have the AR Altas rims since 1999. Had them first on my Cherokee and now on my TJ. I can't stand them anymore. No matter how much I polished them and wipe them down after they got wet they still no longer close to factory finish. I've tried ever type of polish and nothing works. So if you find something that works let me know. I was thinking about paying someone to try and polish them up for me.
SAJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2003, 04:48 PM   #10
badnews

Brasso, or Simichrome polish. http://www.westernwooddoctor.com/simichrome.htm
2003 Jeep Sahara --------- Green Jeep club member #51
badnews is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.