how often should 4WH be engaged? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > how often should 4WH be engaged?

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORClayton Off Road XJ Long Arm Suspension Systems!

Unread 07-14-2010, 03:47 PM   #1
billabong266
2005 TJ Wrangler 

how often should 4WH be engaged?

I live in Florida so i don't do much off-road driving. Since i never use 4WH or 4WL should i engage it maybe once a month to keep everything in good order? I know not to engage on dry pavement; i can take it on the beach.

billabong266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 03:50 PM   #2
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

It won't hurt to engage it rolling straight down the pavement, it's turning that puts stress on the drivetrain.

I also wouldn't worry about it, the T-case is full of lube so nothing is going to seize. It's just a big *** chain that drives the front wheels so that's not going to break either.
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 06:37 PM   #3
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billabong266 View Post
I live in Florida so i don't do much off-road driving. Since i never use 4WH or 4WL should i engage it maybe once a month to keep everything in good order? I know not to engage on dry pavement; i can take it on the beach.
All the parts are turning, even in 2WD...
Unread 07-14-2010, 07:09 PM   #4
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
All the parts are turning, even in 2WD...
Yeah but the shifting mechanisms can still seize.

It's always good to shift into 4wd at least once a month and drive around for a few mins,keeps the shifting smooth.

Oh and even in a straight line you will have binding in 4hi/4low unless you have D44's F/R or D60's F/R,different F/R axles(D30/D35) will have slightly different gear ratios and will cause binding even when going straight.
Unread 07-14-2010, 08:06 PM   #5
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
It's always good to shift into 4wd at least once a month and drive around for a few mins,keeps the shifting smooth.
I've wondered about this. the previous owner of my jeep probably never shifted to even 4hi, muchless 4lo. The first few times I engaged them (4lo in particular) there was some noises. After the first few times however, I've never noticed any of the noises. It may be that I'm subconsciously doing it different after the first few times. But I was assuming that it was because it had not been engaged in a while. Now that I'm engaging it every week or two when I'm off road, it doesn't make any more noises.

Don't know if that's because i've subtly changed my technique of engaging (speed of the jeep I guess?) without knowing it, but it seems to be better now.

And also, the first few times i engaged 4lo, I noticed a strong smell (kind of like a clutch or brake pad smell, but I can't be sure?) that I don't notice anymore when I engage it now. I'm guessing this is probably because at that time I might have been using the clutch more slowly and tapping the gas more than I do now. I think now I'm popping the clutch out quicker and not using any gas when I start out from a stop in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd when I'm in 4lo because I've found hitting the gas and "riding" the clutch a little bit is not needed with such a low gear. I may have (by instinct) used a bit of gas and a slower clutch pull the first few times I started out from a stop in 4lo, as I was not used to such a low gearing ratio.

Strange how quickly my body/mind adjusts to new variables, 2 months ago my only car was a 650+hp mustang, and now I'm in a slow 4wd jeep, I've had to make some adjustments, and I suspect I've adjusted more (subconsciously) than I think I have! (and loving every minute of it)

Last edited by danielbuck; 07-14-2010 at 08:19 PM..
danielbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 08:25 PM   #6
monkeygruven
2004 TJ Wrangler 

a related question from me. when i go to shift into 4LO, it grinds. i've tried rolling at 2-3MPH, tried it in neutral, still grinds. only way i can get it to properly engage is shutting off the engine while the 42rle is in neutral, shifting into 4LO, and restarting the engine. anybody else ever have this happen to them? should i shift into 4LO more often to help prevent this?

The real trail rated badges are located on your skid plates.
monkeygruven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 08:30 PM   #7
bs1946
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I wait for a heavy rain and then put the Jeep in 4Hi for a while. Less chance of scrubbing the tires on wet pavement.
bs1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 09:34 PM   #8
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yeah but the shifting mechanisms can still seize.

Oh and even in a straight line you will have binding in 4hi/4low unless you have D44's F/R or D60's F/R,different F/R axles(D30/D35) will have slightly different gear ratios and will cause binding even when going straight.
Oh give me a break, your axles aren't going to assplode driving in 4wd for a couple hundred feet.
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 10:05 PM   #9
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post
Oh give me a break, your axles aren't going to assplode driving in 4wd for a couple hundred feet.
Seen it happen in less the 10 feet,granted the t-case had helical cut gears and could not be driven in reverse while in 4low but idiots still did it.Blew the t-case in 5 pieces everytime.

Your axles will survive but your t-case chain and/or case does not like it.
Unread 07-15-2010, 12:06 AM   #10
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygruven View Post
a related question from me. when i go to shift into 4LO, it grinds. i've tried rolling at 2-3MPH, tried it in neutral, still grinds. only way i can get it to properly engage is shutting off the engine while the 42rle is in neutral, shifting into 4LO, and restarting the engine. anybody else ever have this happen to them? should i shift into 4LO more often to help prevent this?
Try coming to a complete stop in neutral then try shifting into 4Lo. Shifting it more often into 4Lo won't solve your problem. If it's still grinding, the Tcase might not be engaging all the way. You could adjust your shifter linkage.
BYuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 12:12 AM   #11
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Seen it happen in less the 10 feet,granted the t-case had helical cut gears and could not be driven in reverse while in 4low but idiots still did it.Blew the t-case in 5 pieces everytime.

Your axles will survive but your t-case chain and/or case does not like it.
this doesnt really hold any water. gears are less forgiving than chains. the chains in the 231 and 241 Tcases in our TJs will stretch and give or even break before the case itself blows apart.

nobody is stupid enough to drive in 4hi with different sized tires or different gears front and rear. 4.10=4.11, 4.88=4.86. different axles and "different" gear ratios wont matter.
Unread 07-15-2010, 03:41 AM   #12
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Your not going to hurt anything driving in 4hi on pavement as long as you don't turn, the very slight difference in gear ratios is not enough to make a difference. Your talking about a thousandths of an inch at most, even with a D30/D35, or D44/D44, they are matched pretty close.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tj , tj wrangler , wrangler , 4wd , engage , 4wh , beach , inactivity

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.