How off-road capable is a *stock* 2002 Sahara - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How off-road capable is a *stock* 2002 Sahara

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 07-30-2002, 02:40 PM   #1
AgentZed

How off-road capable is a *stock* 2002 Sahara

What is a reasonable expectation of what I can do with the *stock* configuration of a 2002 Sahara [5-speed 6-cylinder, 30" Canyon wheels, Dana 30 front, Dana 35 rear, skid plates only on transfer case and fuel tank, etc...].

My current intent is not to go major offroad, but enjoy some moderate off pavement adventures--though I'm sure I'll get hooked very quick once I start.

[b][color=white]White Jeep Club member #101010[/color][/b]
AgentZed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2002, 02:54 PM   #2
white TJ

Ive had them on a couple of trails I've been on they'll go pretty good might have to get a tow some time. Get some tow hooks. My wife and I are going to Chatt at the end of Aug on a ride if you want to go. email me at egillham@bellsouth.net
But everyone will help you out their out there to have fun dont want anyone messing there stuff up. You'll met alot of good people.
WHITE JEEP CLUB MEMBER #00000.1

Last edited by white TJ; 07-30-2002 at 02:57 PM..
white TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2002, 02:54 PM   #3
'drack

You'll be amazed at how capable these things are in stock form . It'll actually get ya in trouble . You've got a good plan though. I've said it recently, but again, do what you're doing. Wheel it and see what you need. Might be a set of 31's, might be a locker, lift and bigger tires, might be nothing. Whatever helps get the most enjoyment out of the Jeep for you is all that really matters. Don't get caught up in keeping up with everyone else, because every mod does have some sort of counter effect on stock characteristics and this might be something you're not willing to sacrifice. Good luck with it and have fun .

Keith
Unread 07-30-2002, 02:56 PM   #4
Dan's YJ

You'd be suprised what a stock Jeep can do.

And if you're only using it for occa. offroading, ya, you'll be just fine.
Dan's YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2002, 04:17 PM   #5
cptn_mrgn78
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Yesterday, Mr. Bill, Insaner, Ballpark, and I went offroading. Insaner was the only one with a stock Jeep and he went everywhere we went. He's also a good driver. A stock Jeep is a capable offroad vehicle.

New: '05 Unlimited
cptn_mrgn78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2002, 05:36 PM   #6
90XJ02TJ

Hey derek,
I too have a 'stock' 2002 sahara and am thus far pleased with its performance both on and off-road, though moderate off-road so far. Granted I ain't too fond of the Goodyear GSA tires but they're still holding air. Recently, I did a 180 in a mud hole (saturated red silty clay) and what a rush that was. Of course, I only had it in two wheel drive at the time. Then I put it in 4 and it just crawled right out even with those GSA's. My 'muddy' passengers that were with me at the time were very impressed by this. I also have an XJ or cherokee for 12 years also 'stock', except for tires, and we've made it through some wild stories together, stories I know would have come to a dead end for one of us with most other vehicles.
Stock is just a mind set... granted it might not be able to crawl over a certain humongous rock or go through the deepest mud or water hole in stock form. But if there is a narrow rough a$$ passage nearby or a twisted way around, these little SOB's will make it through stock and all...

EXPECT nothing less...

Last edited by 90XJ02TJ; 07-30-2002 at 05:44 PM..
90XJ02TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2002, 11:21 PM   #7
jrtj2001

The stock TJ is extremely capable. I went out for the first time a few weeks ago with friends that have much more built up rigs than my stocker and I think there was only one spot I did not attempt that they did and the only reason was that my jeep was fairly new and I didn't want to f her up. If I had BFG MT's I would have tried it but traction was my downfall. Take her out, You will be surprised.

Jason.
Skyjacker Steering Box Skid
Bulletproof Rocker Guards
Home-made Disco's
jrtj2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2002, 12:37 AM   #8
xencix

I have the same setup as what you are looking at, expect for the sahara badges and interior....and so far I haven't found anything I can't get past, they climb like a beast and the cornering is usualy enough to make up for the rocks you can't get over.
Stock for now...

2k2 Wrangler TJ SSM
4.0L, 5M
OEM 1" lift and 30" tires, K&N
totaled :(
xencix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2002, 10:50 AM   #9
mikeythefireman

You will be surprised and happy with how much your stock Jeep will give you. Find out what you can and can't do before making any plans for mods. Like 'drack said. If you can get up that big pile o' rocks in a stock Jeep, do you really need dual air lockers and 35" tires?

IMO the only thing you have to change in a stock Jeep is the tires. But like I said thats just my opinion.

TrXus, TrXus, TrXus, Yay TrXus!
Unread 07-31-2002, 10:53 AM   #10
Bob J

I thought the 30" tire package mean you had to get the D44 rear on Sports and Saharas?

(this is for 'drack)
chant with me:
TrXus TrXus TrXus TrXus TrXus TrXus TrXus TrXus TrXus TrXus

Sig v.55
Bob J is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2002, 02:06 PM   #11
Knave

Bob -

On my sport I have the 30" tires and a d35 axle cus it has ABS.
And you can't get ABS with a d44 axle.
So at least there's one way.

Knave
Knave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2002, 02:10 PM   #12
cptn_mrgn78
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Nobody asked you Mr. Bill.

New: '05 Unlimited
cptn_mrgn78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2002, 06:51 AM   #13
gatorfish

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob J
I thought the 30" tire package mean you had to get the D44 rear on Sports and Saharas?
According to everthing I have seen in my research towards my 02 purchase, The D44 is now standard when the 30" package is bought with a 5sp. started in 02.

past:
XJs '87 '91 '00
TJs '01 '02
gatorfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2002, 08:08 AM   #14
AgentZed

Quote:
Originally posted by gatorfish

According to everthing I have seen in my research towards my 02 purchase, The D44 is now standard when the 30" package is bought with a 5sp. started in 02.
Are you saying you have proof Jeep had made the D44 a requirement with the 30" package on the 5-speed? Or you simply haven't run across a 5-speed 02 that had the 30" without the D44?

According to Jeep.com, the Sahara comes standard with manual transmission, the Dana 35 rear axle and the 30-Inch Tire and Wheel Group.

Since I just bought a 5-speed 2002 with the 30" package, is there an easy way to tell looking under the vehicle whether I have the D44 or the D35?
[b][color=white]White Jeep Club member #101010[/color][/b]
AgentZed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2002, 08:29 AM   #15
gatorfish

Quote:
Originally posted by Derek

Are you saying you have proof Jeep had made the D44 a requirement with the 30" package on the 5-speed? Or you simply haven't run across a 5-speed 02 that had the 30" without the D44?

According to Jeep.com, the Sahara comes standard with manual transmission, the Dana 35 rear axle and the 30-Inch Tire and Wheel Group.

Since I just bought a 5-speed 2002 with the 30" package, is there an easy way to tell looking under the vehicle whether I have the D44 or the D35?
not sure about the sahara, but starting in 02, on a sport the D44 must be included when you order the 30" and the 5sp. Since it was the only option I cared about I made the dealer show me the option book. So yes, its fact. I would think the same is true for sahara

past:
XJs '87 '91 '00
TJs '01 '02
gatorfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.