How much is too much/not enough? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How much is too much/not enough?

Black Friday SALE! Up to 20% off at Diode Dynamics!Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 07-28-2010, 05:21 AM   #1
squib518
1998 TJ Wrangler 

How much is too much/not enough?

I just got back in the Jeep game with a stock 1998 6 cylinder Sport; manual transmission. I admittedly know next to nothing about lifting a Jeep. I hunt out of it only and don't plan on doing any serious off-roading. I will mostly be traveling down dirt roads--some pretty rough, but I won't be seeing how horizontal I can get a wheel to the ground ;-).

I am thinking about installing an OM Emu 2.5 heavy-duty kit so that I can get 32-inch tires under the rig. I also figure I should put a body lift on while I am under there. I am not sure how much body lift to use--I assume 1.25 is good, but I am not sure. That leads me to my key question. Can anyone give me some advice on how to pull this off and what I will need? I read about dropping transfer cases, angles, brake lines, bump stops, but it is all a little out there. I understand the purpose, but I am not sure what I need.

So long question short---

If I order an OME 2.5 heavy-duty lift, will it include everything I need?
2.5" Suspension System by Old Man Emu and Other Jeep Parts and Jeep Accessories by 4 Wheel Drive Hardware-RH1

(And why do I see it listed as a 2 inch kit on some site and a 2.5 on others?)
Old Man Emu 2" Suspension Systems for 97-02 Jeep® Wrangler TJ - Quadratec

Is this body lift ok? Do I need more?
JKS Manufacturing 9904 - JKS Manufacturing B1 1.25" Body Lift for 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ & Unlimited - Quadratec

Is there anything anyone else can recommend? Any suggestions? Other components than the ones I have selected?

Thanks in advance.

squib518 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2010, 07:38 AM   #2
Zen
2005 LJ Wrangler 

For 32" tires you don't need a body lift. Especially if you won't be flexing hard or rock crawling. You just don't need to raise the body on a dirt road.

You see the kits listed as 2" kits because big distributers like Q-tec have thier lifts grouped by size and it's closer to a 2" lift than it is to a 4" lift.

With a short lift you don't need new control arms and typically the driveline angles don't change enough to need adjustment, but don't spend all your budget as you never know what your Jeep will require. Chances are though the OME kit will be complete for you.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2010, 07:40 AM   #3
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Those are good products.If you get any vibes you could do a MML (motor mount lift)or drop the t case a little bit with washers.Drive it first to see after lifting it.1-1.25" BL's are as high as most people want to go.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
tj , wrangler , lift , suspension , advice

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.