How much toe-in is too much? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How much toe-in is too much?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 08-24-2006, 02:24 PM   #1
beemer-biker

How much toe-in is too much?

I just measured my toe-in, and the front of the tires are about 1/4" closer than the rear of the tires. Is this too much? If so, what kind of issues would I be seeing? Or is this the upper limits of "normal"? Could this contribute to the DW? I know if there isn't enough toe-in, this contributes to it, so, is it logical to believe that too much is just as much of an omen?
Thanks

beemer-biker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2006, 02:30 PM   #2
ocezam

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer-biker
I just measured my toe-in, and the front of the tires are about 1/4" closer than the rear of the tires. Is this too much? If so, what kind of issues would I be seeing? Or is this the upper limits of "normal"? Could this contribute to the DW? I know if there isn't enough toe-in, this contributes to it, so, is it logical to believe that too much is just as much of an omen?
Thanks

Yeah it's too much. It'll increase your tire wear, doubt if it will induce death wobble.

Here's a good write-up: http://4x4xplor.com/alignment.html
Unread 08-25-2006, 09:27 AM   #3
beemer-biker

bump-bump bump-bump
beemer-biker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2006, 09:28 AM   #4
woody-77
Vulcan FTW

2007 FSJ Cherokee 

I think the appropriate toe-in is 1/8 of an inch....Follow the link, it is easy to do.

Quote:
Thread deleted by Jerry Bransford
Reason: This was beyond human decency... posting about someone's girlfriend is ****ed up.
woody-77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2006, 09:38 AM   #5
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

In general terms, it will still steer ok with a lot of toe in, but not steer well at all with any toe OUT.
While experimenting I ran it all the way to 1/2" IN (that's a lot.) Drove extremely well at that setting, but it would wear the tires very quickly if left that way. The other side effect was the jeep wanted to dart in any direction except go straight on wet roads. Because the tires were scrubbing one or the other would tend to lose traction easily. Felt great on the dry though. 1/4 to 1/8 seems to steer best, 1/8 to 0 is optimal for tire wear. Mine is at about 3/16 now.
BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.