How much fluid will Differential hold? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How much fluid will Differential hold?

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDSave 15% in XT's Pre-Black Friday Event!

Unread 01-21-2008, 08:09 AM   #1
1998TJI6

How much fluid will Differential hold?

I am getting ready to change my differentail fluid. 75w-90 How much will front and rear hold?

Thanks

1998TJI6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2008, 08:13 AM   #2
robncar
2005 TJ Wrangler 

If you fill out your profile (Jeep Info) we'd know what axles you have...

D30 = 2.5 pints / 1.25 quarts
D35 = 3.5 pints / 1.75 quarts
D44 = 4.0 pints / 2.0 quarts
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2008, 08:16 AM   #3
Slithering_Joe
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Search item: "differential fluid capacity"
Search results #1: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/faq-fluid-capacities-489932/
Unread 01-21-2008, 08:16 AM   #4
GreenJip

I usually buy three to four quarts. to do front and rear. Just fill them until they start to come out of the fill hole and them put the plug in. You will probably have a little left, but that makes for good oil to take on your off road trips.

()_)-()_)-o-)_)

8.8 Swap: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/8-8-swap-into-tj-build-thread-501704/
GreenJip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2008, 08:34 AM   #5
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenJip
I usually buy three to four quarts. to do front and rear. Just fill them until they start to come out of the fill hole and them put the plug in. You will probably have a little left, but that makes for good oil to take on your off road trips.
most people tend to do this. it only pretains to manuals and t-cases. for tj's diffs, the bottom of the fill hole is approx 1/2" overfull.
Unread 01-21-2008, 08:37 AM   #6
GreenJip

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jhanna
most people tend to do this. it only pretains to manuals and t-cases. for tj's diffs, the bottom of the fill hole is approx 1/2" overfull.
What would the ramifications be if it is 1/2" overfull?

()_)-()_)-o-)_)

8.8 Swap: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=501704
Unread 01-21-2008, 08:43 AM   #7
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

i don't really know. maybe some fluid blowing out the vent tube ?? i know on most gearboxes, including diffs, the bottom of the fill hole is the correct level. but, on some, including our axles, it is overfull, our tj manuals state this point. it is much tougher to judge how much is in there.
Unread 01-21-2008, 08:48 AM   #8
1998TJI6

Thanks for the info.

I have a Haynes manual and it says if you loosen the bolts and drain it out you should remove the cover and clean it. Has anyone loosen the bolt to drain and just tightened the bolts back up without cleaning?
Unread 01-21-2008, 08:52 AM   #9
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

you will get leaks. the seal either rtv or gasket won't seal good again.
Unread 01-21-2008, 08:53 AM   #10
Dravintoad
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998TJI6
Thanks for the info.

I have a Haynes manual and it says if you loosen the bolts and drain it out you should remove the cover and clean it. Has anyone loosen the bolt to drain and just tightened the bolts back up without cleaning?

You need to clean the surface and apply a new bead of RTV to that puppy.
Unread 01-21-2008, 08:55 AM   #11
robncar
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks for the info.

If you crack the seal you need to take the cover off and reseal or you'll have a leak. The Permatex Ultra Black RTV is the best. You'll need to clean your cover and diff of the old gasket material. This is a good time to inspect the inside of your diff for chipped teeth, etc. Some folks even spray the inside down with brake cleaner (just wear eye protection).
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2008, 08:56 AM   #12
GreenJip

Quote:
Thanks for the info.

I always take the cover all the way off to inspect the gears. If the cover only has sealant as a gasket, then you will have to clean it off and put new gasket sealant on it. I put blue RTV on the cover and then put the gasket on that. Now when I take it off, the gasket stays in takt on the cover and I just reuse it. I havn't had any leaks and I am on my 4th diff change this way.

()_)-()_)-o-)_)

8.8 Swap: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=501704
Unread 01-21-2008, 09:08 AM   #13
1998TJI6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dravintoad
You need to clean the surface and apply a new bead of RTV to that puppy.
Thanks, The Manual also says you can siphon it out, and then just refill. Has anyone been able to siphon the oil out?
It may be faster to remove the cover and clean it. It's been so cold I was looking for a short cut.
Unread 01-21-2008, 09:12 AM   #14
Slithering_Joe
1998 TJ Wrangler 

What I do is remove the diff cover, inspect and clean. I use black or gray RTV because I don't want to see it. Use a gasket, put the right amount of RTV on the cover surface and the differential surface. Not so much that a ton squeezes into the differential housing. Let the RTV skin up. This skinning process allows air to react with the RTV so that it can cure. It also creates a little resistance between the two surfaces allowing a good tension for a seal. After everything is bolted up, I let everything set up for about an hour before I fill it with oil. Grab a beer. This gives the RTV a head start to cure without the gear oil getting involved. This may be overkill but I have never had a leak occur doing it this way.
Unread 01-21-2008, 09:16 AM   #15
Slithering_Joe
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks, The Manual also says you can siphon it out, and then just refill. Has anyone been able to siphon the oil out?
It may be faster to remove the cover and clean it. It's been so cold I was looking for a short cut.
I had to do it this way once. The rear cover on the Jeep was stuck. For the life of me I could not get the cover off without fear of destroying the cover. Everything was closed and I had to be somewhere the next day and "Murphy was in town." I didn't want to chance anything. I have a hand pump, looks like a huge syringe, that you can draw out the oil. Better than nothing. Syphoning works but it is extremely slow and a PIA - not effective especially when it is cold.
Slithering_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.