How much does an Unlimited hard top weigh? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How much does an Unlimited hard top weigh?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in Stock

Unread 05-19-2005, 08:47 AM   #1
Mr. Tarmac

How much does an Unlimited hard top weigh?

Ball park is fine. Just curious how much the unlimited hard top (or standard hard top) weighs.

Mr. Tarmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2005, 09:07 AM   #2
mdot

a bunch.

It's a minimum two man lift if you want to carry it some where.

That being said, I think it's under 200#. I used four comalongs to lift it off my jeep and then lowered it to the ground. I was able to slide it around on cardboard (the cardboard was sliding around on teh concrete actually). And the lifted one end, by myself, to a vertical position for storage. ( I used two comalongs to raise it in the vertical position (front down) against the wall and almost out of the way. teh two comalongs had zero problem lifting the weight, what ever it actually is)

I know it's not a #, but I hoep this helped.
mdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2005, 09:11 AM   #3
nwquadriders
2004 LJ Wrangler 

It's not that heavy....just akward. A friend and I lifted mine off by hand and carried it 30+ feet to where I have it stored. It's an easy lift...maybe 150 pounds...It was a lot lighter than I expected it to be.
'04 Solar Yellow Wrangler Unlimited: 3.5" RE Superflex w/ RE Monotube shocks, 33x10.5 BFG MT's, Warn XD9000i winch, Jeeperman Trail Skids & Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier with 1/4 Panel Guards. Skid row engine skid.

NW Quadriders ATV Club
nwquadriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2005, 11:19 AM   #4
snowjoker

I agree with the post above, a friend and I took it off and carried it a ways to the storage rack I built. I would also guess around 150lbs.

Much lighter than it looks!

My Ride:http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...r/DSC02061.jpg

My trunk Box:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/home-made-security-box-unlimited-thoughts-178930/
snowjoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2005, 11:42 AM   #5
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

150 pounds for a standard HT...probably 175-200 for an unlimited HT...of course due to the extra side glass.
TXST8tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2005, 12:34 PM   #6
TJ Unlimited
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Yeah I agree, about 175 on the Unlimited top. Took me and friend to lift it off. If you were gonna hang it from a hoist I would think 200lbs would cover it. Of course if I were gonna stand under it I make sure it held 250.
TJ Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2005, 04:24 PM   #7
unlimited05
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I've had my unlimited less than a week and haven't taken the top off yet. I'm hoping to get something rigged in my garage to hoist the top off. My concern is that my house is a split level and I don't have a lot of extra clearance in the garage. My quesiton is, how much do you have to lift the top to pull out from underneath it? A couple inches? a foot?
unlimited05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2005, 04:48 PM   #8
ninjajeep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlimited05
I've had my unlimited less than a week and haven't taken the top off yet. I'm hoping to get something rigged in my garage to hoist the top off. My concern is that my house is a split level and I don't have a lot of extra clearance in the garage. My quesiton is, how much do you have to lift the top to pull out from underneath it? A couple inches? a foot?
A couple of inches is fine, just be careful when pulling out and backing under it.
Unread 05-19-2005, 05:28 PM   #9
mebob
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I assuming it 's not to much more than the standard TJ top. Most of weight seems to be the back window and even more awkward it tends to open up when you start to list it off.

I took mine off by my self, last summer. The jeep was knew I nothing was going to stop me from going topless. My girl friend tried to help but she couldn't reach up high enough. Just some advice DON'T do THAT! I came pretty close to dropping it, there is very little to hang onto when you just have it hoisted on your back. I also managed to get it back on later that day. Moral of the story either get help or built a hoist it's more awkward than anything. The top survived with a few minor scratches but who know what I did to my back I'd only try it again if I had a loading dock or something to back up to.
mebob is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.