How the Metalcloak Duroflex bushing stacks up - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How the Metalcloak Duroflex bushing stacks up

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Reply
Unread 02-25-2013, 01:55 PM   #106
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler
 
bobthetj03's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lake County, Ca.
Posts: 4,966
Memory lapse, are you running a custom 3 link in the front?

__________________
Bob's boring build:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003

www.norcal-jeeps.com
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 01:59 PM   #107
Jeepineer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 188
MetalCloak Duroflex Joints are specifically designed to be used at both ends of the control arm. Thier long term durability is in part due to thier ability to divide misalignment forces and operational stresses equally between both ends of the control arm. Please do not mix joints.
Jeepineer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 02:04 PM   #108
Imped
Web Wheeler
 
Imped's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 19,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post
Memory lapse, are you running a custom 3 link in the front?
Yes.
__________________
OlllllllO
Float Test Build
IndyORV
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 02:07 PM   #109
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler
 
jeepinhokie's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MD, Maryland
Posts: 2,443
one item i have seen mentioned here but not answered was the LH housing from Metalcloak.

I'm about to 3/4 link my TJ and am contemplating going with all Duroflex joints. I dont currently have JJ housings to simply swap the bushing into. Do i need to try and buy all the 1.25" Shank housings from Currie and the bushings from MC and assemble myself? Or does/will MC offer LH and RH threads for those of us who want to build our arms starting with the Duroflex joint and still having double adjustable arms.

does Currie even sell the 1.25" shank housings by themselves?
__________________
HOKIES UNITED!

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 02:09 PM   #110
Jeepineer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinhokie View Post
one item i have seen mentioned here but not answered was the LH housing from Metalcloak.

I'm about to 3/4 link my TJ and am contemplating going with all Duroflex joints. I dont currently have JJ housings to simply swap the bushing into. Do i need to try and buy all the 1.25" Shank housings from Currie and the bushings from MC and assemble myself? Or does/will MC offer LH and RH threads for those of us who want to build our arms starting with the Duroflex joint and still having double adjustable arms.

does Currie even sell the 1.25" shank housings by themselves?
Call Will at Metalcloak. We have LH threads that we custom make for you. No extra charge. We will soon stock LH threads.
Jeepineer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 02:17 PM   #111
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler
 
jeepinhokie's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MD, Maryland
Posts: 2,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepineer View Post
Call Will at Metalcloak. We have LH threads that we custom make for you. No extra charge. We will soon stock LH threads.
awesome.. when i'm ready to place the order I will be calling. I had an email in with Will and havent heard anything back yet.

Thanks!
__________________
HOKIES UNITED!

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 02:21 PM   #112
freerider
Member
 
freerider's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Gig Harbor, WA
Posts: 128
Im not going to be running MC joints at one end and JJs at the other. My Full Traction long arm kit uses clevite bushings at one end.
freerider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 02:50 PM   #113
Jeepineer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by freerider View Post
Im not going to be running MC joints at one end and JJs at the other. My Full Traction long arm kit uses clevite bushings at one end.
We do not recommend mixing with Clevites either. We do offer weldon housings that would allow you to replace your clevites.

I hope this information is helpful.
Jeepineer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 03:17 PM   #114
J03_TJ
Web Wheeler
 
J03_TJ's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sparks NV
Posts: 3,496
So I was thinking about the mixing and matching of the duro joints with JJs and thought about the residual stress that could be built up in a Duro joint because of the resistance in the JJ. Couldn't the same thing happen if you don't pay absolute attention when setting the length on an adjustable MC arm. I know I've installed control arms where the bushings on the same arm were not exactly parallel to each other, but the spherical end compensated and adjusted to fit. Is it super critical that an arm with Duroflex bushing be adjusted to length and them tightened down so the bushings fit both ends completely parallel to the mounts? Just not picking a little, I know that, but sounds like if it matters enough to not work mixed with a JJ, care might want to be taken to make sure both ends of the arm exactly fit into the mounts, so that at static ride height there is no stress in the bushings.
I've set my arm length with one end connected under the vehicle, when I tightened down the jam nut I always ended up with a bit of a twist in the arm. Usually I do a much better job keeping the ends parallel when out and clamped in a vice. Sorry imped, I know this is your review thread, but being that it is already 7 pages long I figured this might be something to bring up.
J03_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 03:22 PM   #115
HarryJeepGuy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepineer

We do not recommend mixing with Clevites either. We do offer weldon housings that would allow you to replace your clevites.

I hope this information is helpful.
I was going to call and ask because I prefer to talk in person, but I guess I may as well ask here. It may help reduce some calls... Do you/are you going to sell a Duroflex joint for the front axle housing upper, either a stock replacement, JJ kit replacement, or your own weld on mount for them? I know some are saying just to stick with the stockers there and run the MC on the frame side, but I'd rather not. This would be for a HP D30 if that matters.
Also, what about using the Duroflex joint in trackbars? I'll be getting new ones front and rear until I have time to 4-link (pipe dream), and don't see them in your trackbars online. Thanks.
HarryJeepGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 03:24 PM   #116
Agent620
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Classified, California
Posts: 1,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryJeepGuy View Post
Do you/are you going to sell a Duroflex joint for the front axle housing upper, either a stock replacement, JJ kit replacement, or your own weld on mount for them? I know some are saying just to stick with the stockers there and run the MC on the frame side, but I'd rather not. This would be for a HP D30 if that matters.
I'd like to know this as well. I'm in the middle of building a HP30 and would like ot know if there is a duroflex joint for the axle side.
Agent620 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 03:26 PM   #117
Kiwi
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Johnston, Iowa
Posts: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by J03_TJ View Post
I've set my arm length with one end connected under the vehicle, when I tightened down the jam nut I always ended up with a bit of a twist in the arm. Usually I do a much better job keeping the ends parallel when out and clamped in a vice. Sorry imped, I know this is your review thread, but being that it is already 7 pages long I figured this might be something to bring up.
When trying to tighten the arms with JJ at each end, twist the arm so both JJ's are hard against the CA bracket then tighten the jam nut. Everything will then be lined up fine.
Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 03:26 PM   #118
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler
 
bobthetj03's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lake County, Ca.
Posts: 4,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Yes.
That's a crapload of stress to be putting on the Duroflex joints for the upper. I'll be curious to see how they hold up there.
__________________
Bob's boring build:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003

www.norcal-jeeps.com
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 03:27 PM   #119
Imped
Web Wheeler
 
Imped's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 19,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by J03_TJ View Post
So I was thinking about the mixing and matching of the duro joints with JJs and thought about the residual stress that could be built up in a Duro joint because of the resistance in the JJ. Couldn't the same thing happen if you don't pay absolute attention when setting the length on an adjustable MC arm. I know I've installed control arms where the bushings on the same arm were not exactly parallel to each other, but the spherical end compensated and adjusted to fit. Is it super critical that an arm with Duroflex bushing be adjusted to length and them tightened down so the bushings fit both ends completely parallel to the mounts? Just not picking a little, I know that, but sounds like if it matters enough to not work mixed with a JJ, care might want to be taken to make sure both ends of the arm exactly fit into the mounts, so that at static ride height there is no stress in the bushings.
I've set my arm length with one end connected under the vehicle, when I tightened down the jam nut I always ended up with a bit of a twist in the arm. Usually I do a much better job keeping the ends parallel when out and clamped in a vice. Sorry imped, I know this is your review thread, but being that it is already 7 pages long I figured this might be something to bring up.
You're exactly right and yes, it is very important for the bushings to be neutral. So, if building a custom suspension care should be taken to ensure the mounts are inline. This isn't hard to accomplish but you can't be lazy about it. This was important to me well before the advent of the Duroflex joints so it wasn't a concern. The only mounts that are slightly off are the front lowers and the difference between the frame and axle is very small, probably 1-2*. You wouldn't even be able to tell by looking at it.
__________________
OlllllllO
Float Test Build
IndyORV
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 03:27 PM   #120
Imped
Web Wheeler
 
Imped's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 19,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post
That's a crapload of stress to be putting on the Duroflex joints for the upper. I'll be curious to see how they hold up there.
That's why I'm running them.

I'm not even slightly concerned about it, though.
__________________
OlllllllO
Float Test Build
IndyORV
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Tags
control arms , duroflex

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.