How the Metalcloak Duroflex bushing stacks up - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How the Metalcloak Duroflex bushing stacks up

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3

Unread 02-24-2013, 08:16 PM   #91
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary2
You have got it pm me how much they are worth to ya shipped from 08092 NJ . They have about 700 highway miles if that .
$30 shipped to 68164. PM me if PayPal is ok.

Unread 02-24-2013, 08:32 PM   #92
btn
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The only issue I have had with JJs is their loss of shock absorption vs clevites. This would especially be an issue on the front control arms on a lifted TJ. They would see a lot of axial impact that would benefit from the absorption ability of a softer joint. Not sure if it would help the ride, but certainly would be easier on chassis components.

I think the ideal joint would be one that has the durability and flexibility of a JJ, yet has the shock absorption of the OEM clevites. This joint seems to be the perfect joint (if the long-term durability is still good.)
Unread 02-24-2013, 08:48 PM   #93
aparke4
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
If you were buying new MC arms / joints in pairs...

Where do you think you'd see the biggest improvement in ride over worn out Superflex joints... Uppers or Lowers?

Imped... you said there was a definite improvement in ride, but you did yours one whole end at a time right? If you can't do it all at once, where do you suggest beginning to see some improvement right away?

Thanks-
I have the same q- replacing re lowers - fixed and RC x-flex uppers
aparke4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2013, 08:51 PM   #94
RubiconRazorbac
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn
The only issue I have had with JJs is their loss of shock absorption vs clevites. This would especially be an issue on the front control arms on a lifted TJ. They would see a lot of axial impact that would benefit from the absorption ability of a softer joint. Not sure if it would help the ride, but certainly would be easier on chassis components.

I think the ideal joint would be one that has the durability and flexibility of a JJ, yet has the shock absorption of the OEM clevites. This joint seems to be the perfect joint (if the long-term durability is still good.)
And you're basing this issue off your experience with double-ended Johnny Joint equipped control arms?
My build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ru...thread-792423/
RubiconRazorbac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2013, 08:57 PM   #95
btn
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconRazorbac View Post
And you're basing this issue off your experience with double-ended Johnny Joint equipped control arms?
I always thought of it as a possibility with double JJs, but even more so considering the info in this thread. Intuitively though, the more cushioning, the better, to a point.
Unread 02-25-2013, 06:56 AM   #96
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Imped, I'm going to be watching this thread for durability reports (from anyone).
My Jeep is 99% daily driver until the worn out parts are replaced (entire suspension). It'll probably be a year or so, hopefully you'll thrash these joints worse than a ginger stepchild, and they'll pass with flying colors.
I'm in Columbus, I'll have to join you guys at Attica sometime. Haven't been there since the ownership changed.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 09:31 AM   #97
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitSeven View Post
$30 shipped to 68164. PM me if PayPal is ok.
I have to hold off for a bit . My brother in-law seems to have a need for them . Not quite sure what he is up to . I will get back to ya if he comes to his senses .
Gary2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 09:41 AM   #98
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMBNT42 View Post
Really? Why don't you educate me then with plenty of links and pictures? PLEASE.
This is my thread and it's on the MC bushings and Currie JJ's, not link design. Take your discussion elsewhere if you're gonna turn my thread into one of your ***** fits. The J arm thread is on page 1.

As for the JJ guts, I'm linking a CJ-7 and it's getting JJ's. The owner has JJ housings and I've got the innards. That will save him money and will put good parts to good use.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 10:02 AM   #99
freerider

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I just put JJs on my front and rear lower mounts. I am going to put the MCs on the front upper frame mounts on my Full Tracton LA equipped LJ. If I want to swap the lower innards of the JJs with the MCs do I just remove the circlip and slide them out and push the MCs in? Can it be done under the Jeep by just unbolting the JJ? I am looking for the ultimate in comfort and anti vibe for my Jeep.
freerider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 11:59 AM   #100
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crateampscal View Post

back to the MC joints, as thorough as you are, id like to see what you think after a full year and how many miles you put on them. flexing em out is one thing, but heavy throttle and braking in stop and go traffic is brutal on joints. that's where i want to see them tested.

within the passed year ive become extremely obsessed with shocks and suspensions. not only in jeeps but in BMW's, motorcycles and old muscle cars. if they hold up, id like to see em in some linked muscle cars.
Late response....MC has been running these in a DD JK (Hemi maybe?) with 40's that hits some hard trails often. No wear to speak of so far......

For those with RE setups, you may find interest in this: http://www.metalcloak.com/RE-Long-Ar...Kit-p/7155.htm
Unread 02-25-2013, 12:00 PM   #101
TroubleNEO
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerider View Post
I just put JJs on my front and rear lower mounts. I am going to put the MCs on the front upper frame mounts on my Full Tracton LA equipped LJ. If I want to swap the lower innards of the JJs with the MCs do I just remove the circlip and slide them out and push the MCs in? Can it be done under the Jeep by just unbolting the JJ? I am looking for the ultimate in comfort and anti vibe for my Jeep.
I'm sure it CAN be done, however by the time you are done you'll want to murder someone.

You'll need to throw the JJ in a bench vise and either buy the tool, or rig your own up in order to compress the bushing behind the clip enough to get the clip out. It will be easiest doing it that way.
Unread 02-25-2013, 12:03 PM   #102
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I can disassemble a JJ in about 30 seconds without any tool to speak of. Like I said earlier, the tool is only need to generate the preload required to get the C clip inserted into the barrel groove when assembling. Not needed for disassembly or setting the C clip when assembling with the MC bushing.
Unread 02-25-2013, 12:39 PM   #103
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerider View Post
You do know that JJs and Mc Duroflex joints are not recommended to be combined on the same arm according to Mc. Its been mentioned often but it sounds like it may need to be brought up again being it sounds like some may of done it any way.
Gary2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 12:41 PM   #104
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Reasoning they shouldn't be mixed--the friction force between the JJ center ball and bushing halves > the force it takes to misalign the MC bushing. So, the JJ will dictate misalignment orientation between the two. If the situation were reversed, it'd be fine to mix and match.
Unread 02-25-2013, 12:54 PM   #105
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Nothing a little crisco can't fix.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
control arms , duroflex

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.