How the Metalcloak Duroflex bushing stacks up - Page 64 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How the Metalcloak Duroflex bushing stacks up

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 07-23-2014, 01:52 PM   #946
bbradUSMC
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwolfer View Post
Double adjustable would be super convenient and they just looks better.
Convenient for what exactly? How much are you really going to be changing the length of your control arms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwolfer View Post
I wish the aluminum arms were available when I ordered mine. I would have paid an extra $200 in a heartbeat.
Honestly I want as much strength in a control arm as possible. Think about landing on rocks. Are the aluminums just as strong?
Only thing I could see would be loss of weight but is the weight difference that much of a difference? Also wouldn't loss of weight bellow your frame make your rig more top heavy increasing your chances of roll over?

Just food for thought.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

bbradUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2014, 02:40 PM   #947
Ljcrawler05
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbradUSMC View Post

Convenient for what exactly? How much are you really going to be changing the length of your control arms?

Honestly I want as much strength in a control arm as possible. Think about landing on rocks. Are the aluminums just as strong?
Only thing I could see would be loss of weight but is the weight difference that much of a difference? Also wouldn't loss of weight bellow your frame make your rig more top heavy increasing your chances of roll over?

Just food for thought.

From what I've read they're not actually that much lighter if at all... aluminum threads strip easier... and the only plus is that they can take a "harder" hit but will likely break before they bend. I'm not gonna try and explain the aluminum vs. Steel argument because it's been done before many times... and very well by mr. blaine. For the most part we will never be able to abuse either to the point of failure. It's more about convenience than strength... and the other day until I figured out the ratchet strap method I was wishing for double adjustables
Ljcrawler05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2014, 03:28 PM   #948
Jwolfer
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Just food for thought.

I have already adjusted 6 out of 8 arms a number of times which is kind of a pain. It doesn't take too long but it would be nice to not have to disconnect everything. I have them set pretty good now but I might adjust them to fine tune some things.
Jwolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2014, 03:41 PM   #949
clg82
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Just food for thought.

how "much" or how "often"? with a high clearance tummy tuck like yours you're going to be adjusting them "much" steeper than stock, and if they are adjustable they are much easier to adjust when setting everything correctly.......
Unread 07-23-2014, 04:59 PM   #950
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Aside from being ever so slightly easier to adjust, they make initial installation a breeze--adjust the arm to fit the axle instead of vice versa and slide the bolt through. Once bolted up, fine tune lengths. Go spend a weekend doing a couple full installs and you'll learn to appreciate RH/LH threaded arms.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2014, 06:19 PM   #951
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I thought I'd add that I towed my trailer some distance on Sunday. The trailer is about 1100#s and it towed great at 70 mph as well as on some dirt roads. Again, the added tightness and improved ride is nice.

I believe that Metalcloak's web site says that the aluminum arms are slightly heavier.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2014, 06:22 PM   #952
bbradUSMC
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
how "much" or how "often"? with a high clearance tummy tuck like yours you're going to be adjusting them "much" steeper than stock, and if they are adjustable they are much easier to adjust when setting everything correctly.......
How often, sorry for the confision. Mine wasn't bad at all. Got the axle centered on bump stops, then squared them, and then set the pinion angle. I just never tightened anything down until then end. One shot was all it took for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Aside from being ever so slightly easier to adjust, they make initial installation a breeze--adjust the arm to fit the axle instead of vice versa and slide the bolt through. Once bolted up, fine tune lengths. Go spend a weekend doing a couple full installs and you'll learn to appreciate RH/LH threaded arms.
If you are doing multiple I can definitely see the double adjustable being much better and more time efficient. For the regular joe working on his personal rig I don't see it being worth the added cost. Yes, quicker and easier install, but if you know what you're doing it isn't a big deal. Also, proper tools make the job even easier.

bbradUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2014, 09:46 PM   #953
dongalonga
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Agreed. The only way it is worth more $$$ is if you are constantly doing installs/changes. For the average Jeeper it is not money well spent.
dongalonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2014, 10:00 PM   #954
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongalonga View Post
Agreed. The only way it is worth more $$$ is if you are constantly doing installs/changes. For the average Jeeper it is not money well spent.
And I'm sure others share a different opinion. I don't disagree with you but I can appreciate both points of view since I have plenty of experience with RH/LH arms and those with one end barrel welded.
Unread 07-24-2014, 11:18 PM   #955
pcoplin
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Honestly I want as much strength in a control arm as possible.
Then use 1/4 inch chromoly tube, and internally sleeve it with 7075 solid rod. IT won't go anywhere.
Ultra4 KOH #689 car
pcoplin is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2014, 07:44 AM   #956
elclipo
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I look at it from three different views:
1. ease of installation
2. ease of modification (fine tuning)
3. compatibility with future changes. I can change the arms and keep the joints in the future if/when I go to a four link system, mid-arm, or pretty much any other setup.
elclipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2014, 07:59 AM   #957
Tonellin
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grogie View Post

I believe that Metalcloak's web site says that the aluminum arms are slightly heavier.
oh boy...that is really going to bend some minds around here. Definitely gonna add some more fuel to the aluminum/steel debate....

Quote:
If you are doing multiple I can definitely see the double adjustable being much better and more time efficient. For the regular joe working on his personal rig I don't see it being worth the added cost. Yes, quicker and easier install, but if you know what you're doing it isn't a big deal. Also, proper tools make the job even easier.

Agreed. Even though I snagged a set of used double adjustable lowers I don't see myself actually utilizing them to their potential - at least not enough that I would appreciate them for the extra upmark in cost (if bought new....)

But if ya got the extra scratch and want to go nuts then double adjustables certainly aren't the worst thing an average joe could spend his money on
Unread 07-25-2014, 09:16 AM   #958
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

In my case, the solid aluminum arms of the same length are slightly lighter than the 2" x .25" wall DOM arms I built initially. But I clearly didn't switch them out for strength or weight....I did it because I like aluminum, they're unique, and they don't require any touchups.
Unread 07-25-2014, 11:51 AM   #959
elclipo
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grogie View Post
Only one set is heavier. Upper rear I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
I did it because I like aluminum, they're unique, and they don't require any touchups.
Add that to my list of reasons why I bought them.
elclipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2014, 03:29 PM   #960
Jwolfer
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Exactly. I think they look nice. They'd look great with my Bilsteins.
Jwolfer is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.