How the Metalcloak Duroflex bushing stacks up - Page 58 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How the Metalcloak Duroflex bushing stacks up

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 02-04-2014, 04:47 PM   #856
afusco1222
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Just wish it had 260 HP like that one.
It definitely could...

afusco1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2014, 04:49 PM   #857
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I know....I've got the cam sitting in my garage.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2014, 04:49 PM   #858
GreenJPTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinhokie View Post
curious to see how you oriented your upper link. Did you mount the duroflex joints 90 degrees to eachother? I had to make a custom upper mount for my frame end on my 3 link.
Both of the bolts are horizontal to the ground. I used a Clayton 3 link bridge on the axle and a Poly Performance high clearance lower control arm mount flipped upside down and on the top of the frame.
GreenJPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2014, 05:29 PM   #859
Jeepineer

Quote:
curious to see how you oriented your upper link. Did you mount the duroflex joints 90 degrees to eachother? I had to make a custom upper mount for my frame end on my 3 link.
Bolts at both ends of the control arm should be parallel to one another and parallel to the ground. The Duroflex Joints are not designed to run with bolt orientations perpendicular to one another.

I hope this information is helpful.
Jeepineer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2014, 05:32 AM   #860
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenJPTJ View Post
Both of the bolts are horizontal to the ground. I used a Clayton 3 link bridge on the axle and a Poly Performance high clearance lower control arm mount flipped upside down and on the top of the frame.
i'm surprised you put the frame side on top of the frame.

this is what i came up with back when i did mine. Clayton bridge and with a custom poly 3 link mount.

i ended up cutting the corner off the upper mount to make more room for the driveshaft, but i dont seem to have a picture of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepineer View Post
Bolts at both ends of the control arm should be parallel to one another. The Duroflex Joints are not designed to run with bolt orientations perpendicular to one another.

I hope this information is helpful.
this is the reason i asked. I just wanted to see what solutions others have come up with for this .

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2014, 08:33 AM   #861
Jeepineer

Quote:
i'm surprised you put the frame side on top of the frame.

this is what i came up with back when i did mine. Clayton bridge and with a custom poly 3 link mount.

i ended up cutting the corner off the upper mount to make more room for the driveshaft, but i dont seem to have a picture of that.

this is the reason i asked. I just wanted to see what solutions others have come up with for this .
Excellent design and install!!! Excellent alignment and orientation. You will get great life out of the joints with that set up. It was also a good decision to use our largest joints on your upper arm. You obviously have a great understanding of the functionality at proper application of the MC joints.

Thank you for giving us a try.
Jeepineer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2014, 04:49 PM   #862
GreenJPTJ

Here are some bad pictures of what I did. The driveshaft makes it hard to get better pictures.

No need to tell me how bad my fab skills are I already know.
006.jpg   008.jpg  
Unread 02-05-2014, 04:49 PM   #863
GreenJPTJ

JeepinHokie your work is pretty nice. I wish mine looked like that
Unread 02-05-2014, 05:49 PM   #864
jscusmcvet

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenJPTJ View Post
JeepinHokie your work is pretty nice. I wish mine looked like that
X2
Unread 02-05-2014, 06:19 PM   #865
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenJPTJ
Here are some bad pictures of what I did. The driveshaft makes it hard to get better pictures. No need to tell me how bad my fab skills are I already know.
I would recommend using a nylock nut or at least a lock washer. And I can't see the end of the bolt well enough to see the markings, are they grade 8?

And the pictures make it hard to see well, but the upper mount looks like it could use more gussets to keep it from being pushed straight back if you take a hard hit to the axle. That's why I mimicked the poly perf 4 link gusset on mine.

Other than that it looks good!!

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2014, 11:49 AM   #866
kajones
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome thread and write up Imped. These DF Arms are definatly part of my build list now. Thanks Imped and everyone else for takeing the time to report your exxperiences here.
kajones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2014, 06:33 PM   #867
nmtj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I thought I would post up my initial review of the Duroflex arms as replacing the stock arms, not a aftermarket one.. I went with a complete set of the double adjustable aluminum. My suspension is stock and I will be swapping axles soon along with a 3" lift, hence the reason for new CAs.

The oem front arms were replaced at 20K ago and in good shape. The rear arms had never been touched and have 110K on them. The lowers were dry rotted and the uppers were as well.

Install was straight forward, there a couple threads that go over drilling the rear upper mounts and that was helpful. I am happy I went with the double adjustable, didn't have to use ratchet straps or a jack. I was surprised how heavy they where and it takes more force than I thought for the duroflex bushing to break free. Both good things IMO.

I can definitely say that after installing the MC arms, the ride is NOT worse than oem. I could tell no difference at low speeds but the jeep did seem more composed at high speeds, going over bumps. I did notice less noise and a somewhat better ride from the rear suspension. So, to summarize, I can say that these bushing provide similar or the same ride characteristics when compared to the oem bushing. I plan to test out the MC arms on some high speed washboard road and rock crawling to see if there are any differences.

nmtj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2014, 02:45 PM   #868
00tj2
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I'd like to thank everyone in this thread for helping me choose my new MC control arms. I just ordered a set of steel arms and I can't wait till the get in. Wish I wasn't running the stock mounting locations but money and time dictate that right now. I'm a 90% street driven rig but I needed new arms so I figured why not. Will post a review once they are in and I have some miles under them. Now to order my sye so I can do my tummy tuck. (Yes I know there is more involved then that). Thanks again for starting this thread Imped, helpe out a lot.
00tj2 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2014, 09:32 AM   #869
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00tj2 View Post
I'd like to thank everyone in this thread for helping me choose my new MC control arms. I just ordered a set of steel arms and I can't wait till the get in. Wish I wasn't running the stock mounting locations but money and time dictate that right now. I'm a 90% street driven rig but I needed new arms so I figured why not. Will post a review once they are in and I have some miles under them. Now to order my sye so I can do my tummy tuck. (Yes I know there is more involved then that). Thanks again for starting this thread Imped, helpe out a lot.
No problem, I look forward to hearing your thoughts on them. If you need a hand on anything make sure to post up or PM me.

And there's nothing wrong with the factory mounting points as long as you are smart about your rig's height.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2014, 11:53 AM   #870
EricsGreen98Tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

So if I go with MC front uppers what should I replace the bushings in the front axle housing with? The JJ kit? Or does MC make a duroflex bushing for the axle housing that I'm just not seeing on their site?

What about running JJ front uppers with the JJ housing kit and MC front lowers?

Good idea? Bad? Will my Tj burst into flames mixing CA's like that?

Thoughts?

Tags
control arms , duroflex

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.