How the Metalcloak Duroflex bushing stacks up - Page 57 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How the Metalcloak Duroflex bushing stacks up

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 02-04-2014, 07:49 AM   #841
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped
That pretty much sums up what everyone says when they make the switch. Weird, we must all be crazy.
It's all a placebo

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2014, 08:04 AM   #842
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Believe me, I have no reason to BS anyone, including myself. I don't prescribe to the placebo effect, at least as much as I can help it. I'm very aware of its existance and try to keep any form of bias out of the stuff that I test. And besides, do you think I wanted the hate that I knew would come along with swapping out the joint that I had so wholeheartedly pushed for so long? No thanks, but I do find that point particularly ammusing, especially since I continue to recommend and install them for people.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2014, 08:10 AM   #843
aparke4
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

no placebo for me- ramp test, road handling and tracking was immediately improved. Before my MC arm install I had RC uppers, 4 months old with new bushings and RE fixed lowers with a year on em, joints still snug and had proper greasing every oil change.
aparke4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2014, 08:11 AM   #844
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Going from stock to one pair was noticeable, but not drastic by any means. And you know how tolerant I am with things on my jeep... Ill report back when the rear uppers go on.

Unread 02-04-2014, 08:22 AM   #845
elclipo
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I'll be reporting as soon as mine come in. I'm going from stock to MC but I'm still expecting an improvement both on and off road.
elclipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2014, 08:39 AM   #846
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elclipo View Post
I'll be reporting as soon as mine come in. I'm going from stock to MC but I'm still expecting an improvement both on and off road.
Depends on the condition of your stock bushings. Looking forward to your report.
Unread 02-04-2014, 08:49 AM   #847
Hosejockey61
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I guarantee it's not a placebo effect. When my kid came home from college and rode in it he IMMEDIATELY asked me what was different about the ride. He couldn't believe the difference and said it felt really smooth (and that's from the passenger seat). Then I let him drive it. You couldn't wipe the dumb grin off his face. My wife isn't into the mechanical aspect of the jeep and even she noticed a much softer/smoother ride without me even saying anything to her. She's all about not getting tossed around on the road and she is very happy with it now.
Hosejockey61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2014, 11:07 AM   #848
pierps
1998 TJ Wrangler 

For those of you with the MC arms, can you elaborate on the improvements with on-road performance?

I'm reading things like "smooth," "softer", "handling improved", etc.

I'm considering these arms, but as I read more opinions on various suspension setups, I find that each person has a unique view of what a good ride is. For example, some like an extremely soft ride (like a Cadillac) and will tolerate lots of body roll or even disconnect the sway bars on the road... and they love it. I would absolutely hate that (I have a rig that rides that way currently and it drives me nuts). Others like more road feel and quick responsiveness, limited body roll and nose-diving, higher caster for better tracking on rutty roads, tight steering, etc. I know we're talking Jeeps here, but I grew up in a family with german cars, so I guess that's how I'm wired. My expectation is not that my jeep will handle like my BMW, but I'm biased more toward that style of handling.

I know control arms don't have as much to do with those handling characteristics as springs, shocks and sway bars, but I'm reading comments that imply they do have some effect.

So I'm trying to decode ya'lls feedback to determine if cornering, steering, and one's connection to the road are improved due to the duroflex joints, or if the improvements are more about not feeling bumps on the road (i.e., a softer ride).

Much obliged!

Peter
pierps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2014, 11:21 AM   #849
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I also prefer the "German" feel--tight yet compliant, minimized roll and pitch, controlled, and very easy to drive. That's what I've got.
Unread 02-04-2014, 11:23 AM   #850
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

This is in regards to just front uppers as that's all I have right now. I wouldn't really say my ride is softer. What is improved, though, is how the jeep feels over bumps/imperfections in the road. The jeep seems to iron them out more now than with the stock arms. When I first took a test drive with them, I thought they helped with body roll some, but now I don't believe so unless its minor. The front end does feel tighter, but I can't really say that it was because of the duroflex joints, because my stock ones were 16 years old. I'm sure it would have felt tighter with new bushings regardless. I'm eager to see how the rear uppers effect the ride since that's the harshest part of my jeep right now. Hope this helps a little, I'm not very good at explaining.

Unread 02-04-2014, 11:42 AM   #851
pierps
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys. Totally helps.

Now I just need to get over the sticker shock of doing my suspension "right". The chain reaction that results from taller springs on these rigs is surprisingly expensive, and I'm only looking at a few inches of lift!
pierps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2014, 11:46 AM   #852
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierps

Now I just need to get over the sticker shock of doing my suspension "right". The chain reaction that results from taller springs on these rigs is surprisingly expensive, and I'm only looking at a few inches of lift!
I'd wait until they have a free shipping deal.

Unread 02-04-2014, 12:02 PM   #853
Hosejockey61
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierps View Post

Now I just need to get over the sticker shock of doing my suspension "right".
You should see the sticker shock of doing it wrong first and then correcting it to right.
Unread 02-04-2014, 12:15 PM   #854
Hosejockey61
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierps View Post
For those of you with the MC arms, can you elaborate on the improvements with on-road performance?

I'm reading things like "smooth," "softer", "handling improved", etc.
I like Imped's description of tight and compliant. I also have an antirock on the softest setting so I do get some roll but it feels very controlled. With my old procomp setup that was on the Jeep when I bought it, when I hit a bump or a crack in the road it was harshly transmitted to my body. Now when I hit a bump, it just feels as if the Jeep floats right over it with a little movement. Imagine going over a curb...with my previous setup, the right front end would bounce up, then the back right tire would hit and throw me a different direction, then the left front a different way, and ending with the left rear throwing bouncing me up again. With the MC setup, I can feel all four tires when they hit the curb but the impact isn't transmitted to your spine. It really feels like it floats over the curb.

Off road feels very similar..you can feel/hear the axles working back and forth but the body sway is minimized.

I know some comparisons will differ though as some run different springs and shocks which can make a difference. I run the MC 3.5" springs with the MC control arms and Bilstein 5100 shocks.
Unread 02-04-2014, 04:36 PM   #855
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I've also got AR's on both ends (custom touches and some tuning done to both), a custom suspension and Bilsten 5125 shocks. It rides and steers similarly to our 2014 JKU, just slightly tighter. Just wish it had 260 HP like that one.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.