How the Metalcloak Duroflex bushing stacks up - Page 56 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How the Metalcloak Duroflex bushing stacks up

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-02-2014, 10:03 PM   #826
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I just hate grease....residual grease attracts dirt and junk and it's impossible to wipe off all of it. If you live in areas that get salted then you'll have to deal with the exposed center ball sections acquiring some rust buildup....rust + old grease + grime and dirt = a nasty combination. Like I said, not a big deal but add it to my dislike for nasty grease work and it makes me appreciate the grease-free, rust-free MC bushings. Add to the fact that they absorb a fair bit more NVH, are showing no signs of wear, and really have no downfalls and I find it difficult to not recommend them.

Imped is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2014, 02:03 AM   #827
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
I just hate grease....residual grease attracts dirt and junk and it's impossible to wipe off all of it. If you live in areas that get salted then you'll have to deal with the exposed center ball sections acquiring some rust buildup....rust + old grease + grime and dirt = a nasty combination. Like I said, not a big deal but add it to my dislike for nasty grease work and it makes me appreciate the grease-free, rust-free MC bushings. Add to the fact that they absorb a fair bit more NVH, are showing no signs of wear, and really have no downfalls and I find it difficult to not recommend them.
In all fairness.... Greasing a control arm joint occasionally is nowhere near the same as say greasing driveline u-joints or ball joints. Besides.... Aren't you the guy who used to brag about how you never greased your JJ's
Robert J. yates is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2014, 07:13 AM   #828
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert J. yates View Post
In all fairness.... Greasing a control arm joint occasionally is nowhere near the same as say greasing driveline u-joints or ball joints. Besides.... Aren't you the guy who used to brag about how you never greased your JJ's
Yep. They didn't make a case for needing it (no noise or issues) and hardly any of them would actually take grease.

Greasing drive shaft centering balls, u-joints, and ball joints is far easier than greasing JJ's that don't take grease.

There's a difference between not greasing a joint that is designed to use grease between the center ball and races and not greasing a joint that doesn't need to be greased. One less thing to worry about. In the grand scheme, a minor but convenient point.
Unread 02-03-2014, 08:12 AM   #829
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Being a heavy equipment operator for 40 years I have no fear of grease needless to say besides greasing a JJ is not needed very often. The amount of salt here has negative effects on any rubber type of bushing also . The Mc bushings were pretty dry but no noise. They did not rotate by hand as easily as it did when installed . Thats was not from lack of lube when installed either. I just feel the JJ's make the axle to frame a connection tighter without limiting travel for my needs and wants. I feel my best set up was while switching from JJ's to Mc's was JJs on all lowers and Mc's in the uppers . It reduced the NVH and the road had less of an effect on the handling and rode better than JJ in all arms .
Gary2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2014, 08:16 AM   #830
Night Wolf
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep is in process of another suspension overhaul, already replaced all 8 LCA JJs with Duroflex. Hasn't been on the road in a few months, looking forward to the next drive.

Add me to the list of bringing back the overall comfort and driving enjoyment after various "improvements" that were backward steps from stock. *edit - not implying JJ as such.

-1987 BMW 528e 5spd e28 - personal Panzer for the daily driven battlefield, just broken in at 300k

-1990 BMW 325i Convertible 5spd e30 - extensive overhaul in progress

-2005 TJ Sport - stuff
Night Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2014, 08:23 AM   #831
glook
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
There's a difference between not greasing a joint that is designed to use grease between the center ball and races and not greasing a joint that doesn't need to be greased. One less thing to worry about. In the grand scheme, a minor but convenient point.
What happens when the grease that was used when assembling the DF joint gets washed out and the steel wear surface starts to rust?
Unread 02-03-2014, 08:35 AM   #832
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary2 View Post
Being a heavy equipment operator for 40 years I have no fear of grease needless to say besides greasing a JJ is not needed very often. The amount of salt here has negative effects on any rubber type of bushing also . The Mc bushings were pretty dry but no noise. They did not rotate by hand as easily as it did when installed . Thats was not from lack of lube when installed either. I just feel the JJ's make the axle to frame a connection tighter without limiting travel for my needs and wants. I feel my best set up was while switching from JJ's to Mc's was JJs on all lowers and Mc's in the uppers . It reduced the NVH and the road had less of an effect on the handling and rode better than JJ in all arms .
So far, I've seen no noticeable negative effects from road salt, extremely cold conditions and no maintenance. Only time will tell and that's the whole point for making this switch--to determine if these are a viable long-term solution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Wolf View Post
Jeep is in process of another suspension overhaul, already replaced all 8 LCA JJs replaced with Duroflex. Hasn't been on the road in a few months, looking forward to the next drive.

Add me to the list of bringing back the overall comfort and driving enjoyment after various "improvements" that were backward steps from stock.
Please report once you get it back on the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by glook View Post
What happens when the grease that was used when assembling the DF joint gets washed out and the steel wear surface starts to rust?
It's likely already gone. I know the ones that I ran last year were dry when disassembled. The barrel's bearing surface was just fine and looked brand new after a little wipe down. The bushing bearing surface looked just like it did new and that goes for all 14 of them. It doesn't look like it matters and once spring comes around, I'll provide pics to prove it.

As it stands, these appear to be extremely durable maintenance-free bushings. If that changes then you'll know.
Unread 02-03-2014, 10:54 AM   #833
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'm running MC uppers and JJ lowers right now as well. Not by choice mind you. It just worked out that way in the order I chose to replace the stock CA's and funds. Drivablility is very enjoyable, and I will be interested to see any noticable difference once I finally do replace the lower JJ's with the Duroflext joints as Gary has pointed out.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003

www.norcal-jeeps.com
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2014, 02:13 PM   #834
jscusmcvet
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Got around to adding my MC upper control arms on Saturday. Went as planned. Since I had extended the lowers by 1/4" I did the same with the uppers.

I have yet another improvement in overall ride. Enough in fact that my wife noticed how much better the jeep was riding.

So like others have said I cannot comment on long term durability, but I can say that as far as road and trail ride quality the MC arms/joints have had a tremendous impact. I am waitining on some steering upgrades and when installed will get an alignment to finish thi sround of upgrades off.

John
Unread 02-03-2014, 05:35 PM   #835
GreenJPTJ

Imped posted an interesting video. I wonder where clevite bushings would rate on the same test.

I am one of the many people who built control arms with Johny Joints on one end and clevite bushings on the other for a 4 link rear. I also have a front 3 link build wrapping up now using the MC joints. I am eager to try the new joints and if all goes well I could change out the JJ for MC's.
GreenJPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2014, 06:21 AM   #836
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenJPTJ View Post
I also have a front 3 link build wrapping up now using the MC joints.
curious to see how you oriented your upper link. Did you mount the duroflex joints 90 degrees to eachother? I had to make a custom upper mount for my frame end on my 3 link.

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2014, 07:33 AM   #837
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I run mine with both oriented the same--both bolts are horizontal to the ground.
Unread 02-04-2014, 07:35 AM   #838
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I run mine with both oriented the same--both bolts are horizontal to the ground.
as do I.

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2014, 08:16 AM   #839
jmichaelsjeep
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I just finished installing the MC duroflex on all arms. When I bought my LJ there were combination Heim/ JJ on it. The difference in ride quality and control, is amazing. I absolutely love these arms. Granted, I don't have any point of comparison other than the PO's installed arms or stock arms in my last couple jeeps. BUT, the difference is still amazing.

I can't wait to get it off road and flex it out
Unread 02-04-2014, 08:44 AM   #840
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

That pretty much sums up what everyone says when they make the switch. Weird, we must all be crazy.

Tags
control arms , duroflex

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.