How the Metalcloak Duroflex bushing stacks up - Page 51 - JeepForum.com

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #751 of 1039 Old 09-27-2013, 04:02 PM
J03_TJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elclipo

I go back and forth for that same reason. I have a couple of friends reeling me the same, to forgo the dual adjustable since they are unnecessary once you set your angles.
Well, I have a kind of crappy story for ya. I have been on 4" springs for about 4 years and had it all dialed in until I decided to go with some new 4" springs about 2 years ago. I've been fighting a vibration for a year now since installing the second set of new springs last summer. I must have adjusted my rear pinion a dozen times at least in this last year and am actually thinking of messing with it again tonight for kicks. You'd think I'd be all over getting some double adjustables in there, but is not that big of a deal to pull the arms out any more, so I don't buy any.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 1039 Old 09-27-2013, 04:46 PM
elclipo
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by J03_TJ
Well, I have a kind of crappy story for ya. I have been on 4" springs for about 4 years and had it all dialed in until I decided to go with some new 4" springs about 2 years ago. I've been fighting a vibration for a year now since installing the second set of new springs last summer. I must have adjusted my rear pinion a dozen times at least in this last year and am actually thinking of messing with it again tonight for kicks. You'd think I'd be all over getting some double adjustables in there, but is not that big of a deal to pull the arms out any more, so I don't buy any.
That is exactly the scenario I see myself in and one of the reasons I want doubles. If I was in your shoes however, I also wouldn't buy any. No way I would buy a second set if I didn't need it. I happen to still be running stock arms with a 4" lift installed circa 2004 and you can shine how those feel by now. Thankfully I got a hold of a second set of stockers with half as many miles from what was a fully stock Jeep. I will be swapping those into buy me some time.

On that same note however, I'm thinking on getting just the lower fronts to get my caster back to what it should be while I wait for the rest.

Semper Fi
post #753 of 1039 Old 09-27-2013, 04:46 PM
Scarfist
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodTwister View Post
Well Christmas is coming,We can only hope!!!
And end of the year sales!

I'm too old to play with Lego's, so I got a Jeep. 97 TJ club member
post #754 of 1039 Old 09-27-2013, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Imped
2004 TJ Wrangler 

That's not at all true....

OlllllllO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IndyORV
post #755 of 1039 Old 09-28-2013, 03:45 PM
jeepinhokie
2004 TJ Wrangler 

MC claims the gold color zinc coating on their products keeps rust at bay. Two weeks post wheeling and the link mounts had a decent amount of rust forming where they got all scratched up from the rocks. Joints on the other hand are rust free!

Painted the link mounts before I thought to take a before picture. Here is an after though.

EDIT:
There has been some confusion as to what I was trying to say. What I was eluding to was the zinc on the joint IS doing what it was designed to do. The painted steel everywhere else was rusted within two weeks of being scratched but the MC joint was not.

The zinc coating is doing what it was designed to do. Very pleased with the product.
Attached Images

HOKIES UNITED!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #756 of 1039 Old 09-28-2013, 04:49 PM
freeskier93
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinhokie View Post
MC claims the gold color zinc coating on their products keeps rust at bay. Two weeks post wheeling and the link mounts had a decent amount of rust forming where they got all scratched up from the rocks. Joints on the other hand are rust free!

Painted the link mounts before I thought to take a before picture. Here is an after though.
Did you somehow expect the arms to not rust if the zinc coating was scraped off?
post #757 of 1039 Old 09-28-2013, 05:02 PM
jeepinhokie
2004 TJ Wrangler 

No. Didn't think I was giving that impression.

Obviously the steel DOM I used will rust. Just commenting on the joint, and the lack of any corrosion.

HOKIES UNITED!

post #758 of 1039 Old 09-28-2013, 05:09 PM
freeskier93
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Obviously the steel DOM I used will rust. Just commenting on the joint, and the lack of any corrosion.
Whoops, I missed that you made your links and I should have seen that from the pictures. I get what you're saying now.
post #759 of 1039 Old 09-28-2013, 05:11 PM
rs4race
1997 TJ Wrangler 

interesting thought on the double adjustable. I guess if you get that on the uppers with lh rh threads it would make adjusting pinion angle really quick.

My Build
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/rs4races-build-957569/
post #760 of 1039 Old 09-28-2013, 05:37 PM
Jeepineer

jeepinhokie,

The zinc is a sacrificial coating that will provide some protection from corrosion even when it is scratched. Where as the painted DOM double adjustable arms (nice job by the way) will likely rust at the point of scratching. This is a great direct comparison of the importance of the gold zinc coating.

Thank you for posting the comparison.
post #761 of 1039 Old 09-28-2013, 05:43 PM
ftgiles

Quote:

Zinc coating will act as a sacrificial anode when the coating gets damaged unlike paint which is just a barrier. You would expect the joint to not show oxidation at the same rate as non-zinc coated parts.
post #762 of 1039 Old 09-28-2013, 06:32 PM
jeepinhokie
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Edited my origional post, apparently there was some confusion as to what I was trying to say.

Let me be clear, the zinc coating MC uses works as compared to painted steel.

I went wheeling two weeks ago and just got around to painting all the rock rash under the jeep. Any steel part that had rock rash on it is rusted where the scratch was. The un painted zinc coated MC joint is rust free.

My arms are home made (2" DOM, double adjustable) with ruffstuff threaded inserts and poly performance link mounts.

Hope that clears some confusion.

HOKIES UNITED!

post #763 of 1039 Old 11-01-2013, 08:50 PM
Hosejockey61
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Any word yet on when MC is going to come out with a front axle side bushing kit yet similar to the JJ?
post #764 of 1039 Old 11-01-2013, 11:57 PM
rs4race
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hosejockey61 View Post
Any word yet on when MC is going to come out with a front axle side bushing kit yet similar to the JJ?
you can diy. I did.

My Build
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/rs4races-build-957569/
post #765 of 1039 Old 11-12-2013, 06:54 PM
SOWEGA TJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Tags
control arms , duroflex

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.