How the Metalcloak Duroflex bushing stacks up - Page 51 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How the Metalcloak Duroflex bushing stacks up

Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 09-27-2013, 04:02 PM   #751
J03_TJ
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elclipo

I go back and forth for that same reason. I have a couple of friends reeling me the same, to forgo the dual adjustable since they are unnecessary once you set your angles.
Well, I have a kind of crappy story for ya. I have been on 4" springs for about 4 years and had it all dialed in until I decided to go with some new 4" springs about 2 years ago. I've been fighting a vibration for a year now since installing the second set of new springs last summer. I must have adjusted my rear pinion a dozen times at least in this last year and am actually thinking of messing with it again tonight for kicks. You'd think I'd be all over getting some double adjustables in there, but is not that big of a deal to pull the arms out any more, so I don't buy any.

J03_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2013, 04:46 PM   #752
elclipo
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by J03_TJ
Well, I have a kind of crappy story for ya. I have been on 4" springs for about 4 years and had it all dialed in until I decided to go with some new 4" springs about 2 years ago. I've been fighting a vibration for a year now since installing the second set of new springs last summer. I must have adjusted my rear pinion a dozen times at least in this last year and am actually thinking of messing with it again tonight for kicks. You'd think I'd be all over getting some double adjustables in there, but is not that big of a deal to pull the arms out any more, so I don't buy any.
That is exactly the scenario I see myself in and one of the reasons I want doubles. If I was in your shoes however, I also wouldn't buy any. No way I would buy a second set if I didn't need it. I happen to still be running stock arms with a 4" lift installed circa 2004 and you can shine how those feel by now. Thankfully I got a hold of a second set of stockers with half as many miles from what was a fully stock Jeep. I will be swapping those into buy me some time.

On that same note however, I'm thinking on getting just the lower fronts to get my caster back to what it should be while I wait for the rest.
elclipo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2013, 04:46 PM   #753
Scarfist
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodTwister View Post
Well Christmas is coming,We can only hope!!!
And end of the year sales!
Unread 09-27-2013, 04:50 PM   #754
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

That's not at all true....
Imped is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2013, 03:45 PM   #755
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

MC claims the gold color zinc coating on their products keeps rust at bay. Two weeks post wheeling and the link mounts had a decent amount of rust forming where they got all scratched up from the rocks. Joints on the other hand are rust free!

Painted the link mounts before I thought to take a before picture. Here is an after though.

EDIT:
There has been some confusion as to what I was trying to say. What I was eluding to was the zinc on the joint IS doing what it was designed to do. The painted steel everywhere else was rusted within two weeks of being scratched but the MC joint was not.

The zinc coating is doing what it was designed to do. Very pleased with the product.
image-2371644942.jpg

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2013, 04:49 PM   #756
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinhokie View Post
MC claims the gold color zinc coating on their products keeps rust at bay. Two weeks post wheeling and the link mounts had a decent amount of rust forming where they got all scratched up from the rocks. Joints on the other hand are rust free!

Painted the link mounts before I thought to take a before picture. Here is an after though.
Did you somehow expect the arms to not rust if the zinc coating was scraped off?

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2013, 05:02 PM   #757
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

No. Didn't think I was giving that impression.

Obviously the steel DOM I used will rust. Just commenting on the joint, and the lack of any corrosion.

A Hokie build

Unread 09-28-2013, 05:09 PM   #758
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Obviously the steel DOM I used will rust. Just commenting on the joint, and the lack of any corrosion.
Whoops, I missed that you made your links and I should have seen that from the pictures. I get what you're saying now.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2013, 05:11 PM   #759
rs4race
1997 TJ Wrangler 

interesting thought on the double adjustable. I guess if you get that on the uppers with lh rh threads it would make adjusting pinion angle really quick.
Unread 09-28-2013, 05:37 PM   #760
Jeepineer

jeepinhokie,

The zinc is a sacrificial coating that will provide some protection from corrosion even when it is scratched. Where as the painted DOM double adjustable arms (nice job by the way) will likely rust at the point of scratching. This is a great direct comparison of the importance of the gold zinc coating.

Thank you for posting the comparison.
Jeepineer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2013, 05:43 PM   #761
ftgiles
Web Wheeler

Quote:

Zinc coating will act as a sacrificial anode when the coating gets damaged unlike paint which is just a barrier. You would expect the joint to not show oxidation at the same rate as non-zinc coated parts.
ftgiles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2013, 06:32 PM   #762
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Edited my origional post, apparently there was some confusion as to what I was trying to say.

Let me be clear, the zinc coating MC uses works as compared to painted steel.

I went wheeling two weeks ago and just got around to painting all the rock rash under the jeep. Any steel part that had rock rash on it is rusted where the scratch was. The un painted zinc coated MC joint is rust free.

My arms are home made (2" DOM, double adjustable) with ruffstuff threaded inserts and poly performance link mounts.

Hope that clears some confusion.

A Hokie build

Unread 11-01-2013, 08:50 PM   #763
Hosejockey61
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Any word yet on when MC is going to come out with a front axle side bushing kit yet similar to the JJ?
Hosejockey61 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2013, 11:57 PM   #764
rs4race
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hosejockey61 View Post
Any word yet on when MC is going to come out with a front axle side bushing kit yet similar to the JJ?
you can diy. I did.
Unread 11-12-2013, 06:54 PM   #765
SOWEGA TJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.metalcloak.com/product-p/7164.htm
SOWEGA TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
control arms , duroflex

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.