How the Metalcloak Duroflex bushing stacks up - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How the Metalcloak Duroflex bushing stacks up

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-22-2013, 12:01 AM   #46
crateampscal
2005 TJ Wrangler 

interesting, especially since imped is running Bilstein shocks. in my opinion and experience with different manufacturers, bilsteins let you feel every bump in the road. if I were running a high speed desert only rig, then bilsteins would be fine for me, but I like a forgiving ride on the street. if he says that the MC joints took some of the harsh characteristics out of his rig, imagine what they would be like on some dialed in rancho's or some nicely valved Fox shocks.

my jeep will never run MC joints because of the money I have invested in the 'tried and true' johnny joints. however, reliability is key for me and linked suspensions aren't going anywhere. MC has plenty of time to prove their reliability and if they hold up, I might have some on a future rig.

Good luck, I hope these hold up. be sure and let us know if there are any little hiccups with them.

crateampscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 09:01 AM   #47
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I've never had issues with the Bilsteins, especially since swapping out for lighter valving in the rear. I'd like to try out some Fox's but that's pretty low on the list at the moment. I've still got a steering pump/cooler and rear diff to address.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 10:23 AM   #48
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

same here I run 5100s on my DD for years and the Jeep. Thats one item I don't stray from any more after having the Rancho 9000s and OME previously. Fox may be better but I doubt I will ever experience that . I have enough money in JJs sitting in the bottom of a bucket after this control arm joint experience.
Gary2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 12:25 PM   #49
AndyE
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Great article! Looking forward to seeing how they hold up for you in the long run. Now, it looks like all the talk so far has been about the joints being used in control arms. I know you run a custom suspension so you probably don't not use stock track bars(if any at all), but what are your thoughts on swapping the jj's on a Currie tb(or any tb using them) with the MC's?
AndyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 03:17 PM   #50
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

These arms/joints are nice. Ive had mine on for a week now. Obviously swapped out stock bushings and control arms(2 of which were bent). Vibration damping is unchanged, which what exactly what I was hoping for. Axle articulation has been dramatically improved over stock. A few stumps and rocks that used to always mean I would have a tire in the air going over, now keeps contact with the ground. The arms themselves are extremely heavy and heavy duty. For roughly $900 shipped with JF discount you can't go wrong. I do NOT see these bushings wearing out anytime soon, or having any longevity issues at all. Pictures don't do these things justice.....just have to have them in your hands and on your rig to get a true appreciation for them. Next up will be to combine them with the OME 2" lift kit and Currie TJS trackbars. Its looking like I'll be only needing to add 1" bumpstopping for both the front and the rear too. So that will give me a nearly perfect 50/50 split on up and down travel both front and rear with 9" travel shocks. Would love to do a 10" travel shock on 2-2.5" liftkit with again only 1" bumpstopping, but can't find a shock with a total compressed length(including bar pins eliminators if need be which a a half inch to the compressed length)that is no greater than 1" longer than the factory 12.8 Front/12.2 Rears.......
GMBNT42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 04:37 PM   #51
ctorres018
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMBNT42 View Post
These arms/joints are nice. Ive had mine on for a week now. Obviously swapped out stock bushings and control arms(2 of which were bent). Vibration damping is unchanged, which what exactly what I was hoping for. Axle articulation has been dramatically improved over stock. A few stumps and rocks that used to always mean I would have a tire in the air going over, now keeps contact with the ground. The arms themselves are extremely heavy and heavy duty. For roughly $900 shipped with JF discount you can't go wrong. I do NOT see these bushings wearing out anytime soon, or having any longevity issues at all. Pictures don't do these things justice.....just have to have them in your hands and on your rig to get a true appreciation for them. Next up will be to combine them with the OME 2" lift kit and Currie TJS trackbars. Its looking like I'll be only needing to add 1" bumpstopping for both the front and the rear too. So that will give me a nearly perfect 50/50 split on up and down travel both front and rear with 9" travel shocks. Would love to do a 10" travel shock on 2-2.5" liftkit with again only 1" bumpstopping, but can't find a shock with a total compressed length(including bar pins eliminators if need be which a a half inch to the compressed length)that is no greater than 1" longer than the factory 12.8 Front/12.2 Rears.......
Metal cloak gives a jeep forum discount? I called and asked a few weeks ago regarding there 3.5" ARB kit they said there is no JF discount..
ctorres018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 05:13 PM   #52
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctorres018 View Post

Metal cloak gives a jeep forum discount? I called and asked a few weeks ago regarding there 3.5" ARB kit they said there is no JF discount..
They dont? Thought they gave 5%....maybe its for certain items only? I know when a sale is goin on they dont give em out.
Unread 02-22-2013, 05:33 PM   #53
SKINUM
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMBNT42

They dont? Thought they gave 5%....maybe its for certain items only? I know when a sale is goin on they dont give em out.
5% is usually for returning customers.
SKINUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 05:34 PM   #54
ctorres018
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMBNT42 View Post
I guess not well at least not to me lol the kit wasn't on sale and no discount either, we went with the 3" currie kit since metal cloak gave no discount.
ctorres018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 06:15 PM   #55
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINUM View Post
5% is usually for returning customers.
Ah, ok, maybe thats it.
Unread 02-22-2013, 07:08 PM   #56
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scot68 View Post
I thought about that but I have double adjustable arms and I didn't see any complete Duroflex joints with left hand threads on MC's website.
They have them. They just aren't listed on the website. You can call them and order the left hand threaded joints.
Jankoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 09:57 PM   #57
jbg1980
2001 TJ Wrangler 

$900.00 shipped that's a hell of a deal!
Unread 02-22-2013, 10:59 PM   #58
crateampscal
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
I've never had issues with the Bilsteins, especially since swapping out for lighter valving in the rear. I'd like to try out some Fox's but that's pretty low on the list at the moment. I've still got a steering pump/cooler and rear diff to address.
don't get me wrong, i would hardly call it an upgrade unless they custom valved. as soon as the road ends, the bilsteins are awesome and i don't consider the road characteristics bad either. i had the opportunity to drive a rig i lifted for a week with bilsteins. i didn't dislike em and found them to be a huge upgrade from what he had before.

back to the MC joints, as thorough as you are, id like to see what you think after a full year and how many miles you put on them. flexing em out is one thing, but heavy throttle and braking in stop and go traffic is brutal on joints. that's where i want to see them tested.

within the passed year ive become extremely obsessed with shocks and suspensions. not only in jeeps but in BMW's, motorcycles and old muscle cars. if they hold up, id like to see em in some linked muscle cars.
crateampscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 11:16 PM   #59
Greenfun2
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Imped- I remember seeing a video you shot of your rear suspension with JJ's while driving on the road. Are you going to shoot another video with the duroflex joints to compare?
Greenfun2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 05:19 AM   #60
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crateampscal View Post
don't get me wrong, i would hardly call it an upgrade unless they custom valved. as soon as the road ends, the bilsteins are awesome and i don't consider the road characteristics bad either. i had the opportunity to drive a rig i lifted for a week with bilsteins. i didn't dislike em and found them to be a huge upgrade from what he had before.

back to the MC joints, as thorough as you are, id like to see what you think after a full year and how many miles you put on them. flexing em out is one thing, but heavy throttle and braking in stop and go traffic is brutal on joints. that's where i want to see them tested.

within the passed year ive become extremely obsessed with shocks and suspensions. not only in jeeps but in BMW's, motorcycles and old muscle cars. if they hold up, id like to see em in some linked muscle cars.
I don't think long term durability is going to be an issue. The JK crowd has been using these joints for nearly 2 years now, and there are a few people over on the pirate forum who have near the 50k mile range on them now. In fact one person with high miliage posted up pics of him breaking them down to "regrease" them(which they didn't even need)and they still look and feel 100% brand new.

One application that these joints can be used in that wasn't mentioned........and I think it is a huge benefit........is the fact that these duroflex joints can accomadate BENT ARMS. Thats right, for those who want to do or can do their own custom work. The one downside people keep bringing up with long arm kits is that the breakover angles suffer behind/before the f/r tires is getting hung up on rocks off the long arms. Not anymore. You can now make bent lower arms so that they stay tucked up by the frame.......so that one disadvantage they had now can be 100% eliminated.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.