How the Metalcloak Duroflex bushing stacks up - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How the Metalcloak Duroflex bushing stacks up

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 02-21-2013, 06:35 PM   #31
surfcat2000
2006 LJ Wrangler 

MC arms

Put a full set of MC arms in a month ago to replace my stock arms with 65K on them. They are way more solid then the stock but very happy with the lack of noise. Leaving for Moab in a month so it will be fun to compare with the old arms

surfcat2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 06:42 PM   #32
T_K
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary2 View Post
I use the OE bushings in front upper axle ends. don't mix JJs and Duroflex on the same arm
I would rather not have the OE bushings. What is the reason for not mixing?
T_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 06:50 PM   #33
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

JJs are much harder to rotate so once it is turned the Duroflex would be under constant tension trying to recenter the JJ. With a Duroflex or an OE clevite rubber they both would return to center being its natural for them to do so and remove any uneeded tension on the joints
Gary2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 06:52 PM   #34
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

This needs to be a tech sticky.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 06:52 PM   #35
jeep1972
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Excellent review. Thank you for taking the time to do the write up, it is greatly appreciated.
jeep1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 06:56 PM   #36
jrskihog
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Excellent write up!

Sent from my iPad in the middle of the woods
jrskihog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 07:04 PM   #37
SKINUM
2005 LJ Wrangler 

$29 each, to replace the johnny joints in control arms?
SKINUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 07:15 PM   #38
scot68
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Did you read my signature. I do too
Nope I missed your sig. So obviously I must have also missed Duroflex joints with left hand threads?? I currently run the JJ front housing kit which if I recall also use 2" joints. As you mentioned probably not a good idea to run JJs and Duroflex on the same arm.
scot68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 07:22 PM   #39
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

even with one set still running JJs, say on the uppers and Duroflex on the lowers it made a difference. I couldn't afford to do them all at once being I had just bought new Savvy arms . I did them a pair at a time both installing the Savvy's and then later swapping to the Duroflex joints so I got to try many configurations along the way along with occasionally reinstalling a pair of OE arms to get the smoother ride back while swapping things around.
Unread 02-21-2013, 07:36 PM   #40
scot68
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
even with one set still running JJs, say on the uppers and Duroflex on the lowers it made a difference. I couldn't afford to do them all at once being I had just bought new Savvy arms . I did them a pair at a time both installing the Savvy's and then later swapping to the Duroflex joints so I got to try many configurations along the way along with occasionally reinstalling an OE arm to get the smoother ride backwhile swapping things around.
So you did run JJs in your uppers and Duroflex in your lowers at the same time.. Interesting.. You mentioned the ride improved but did you notice any odd handling characteristics?
Unread 02-21-2013, 08:08 PM   #41
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scot68 View Post
So you did run JJs in your uppers and Duroflex in your lowers at the same time.. Interesting.. You mentioned the ride improved but did you notice any odd handling characteristics?
I run JJ's lowers and stock clevite uppers, so I'd gather results would be similar.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 08:08 PM   #42
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I started with just front lowers ( Savvy ) then added rear lowers . Swapped a driveshaft so I then added Savvy upper rears and then upper fronts. I had noticed my suspension felt to stiff so I reinstalled the OE rear lower arms and then OEs went back in the upper fronts which improved the ride. Then I became interested in Duroflex . I put the complete duroflex joints in the upper rears ( left and right hand thread ) which softened the ride so then I reinstalled the Savvy rear lowers , the ride was OK . Next came the Complete Duroflex joints for one end of the upper fronts . Then I started with the lowers , just the rebuild type. I did just the front lowers first in case I felt something in the steering I didn't care for I would still have a set of untouched lower Savvy arms in the rear that could go to the front "if " I found the Duroflex had any negative effects on the steering . That was not the case , it was fine up front so I ordered the final set to replace the rear lowers . The only ill effects I had at any time was a stiffer highway ride than I was willing to accept and that was only when I had 14 JJs installed . Now it rides great , nice and smooth.
Unread 02-21-2013, 08:21 PM   #43
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post
I run JJ's lowers and stock clevite uppers, so I'd gather results would be similar.
When I had JJs on just the lowers ( F&R ) and OE uppers all was still not bad ride wise. When I started adding the uppers is when my ride went down the tubes.
Unread 02-21-2013, 09:01 PM   #44
scot68
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I think I'm going to give the Duroflex joints a try in the near future. For the record I am still a huge fan of the Currie JJ however I wouldn't mind if my suspension was a little less stiff. Maybe I'm just getting old..
Unread 02-21-2013, 10:23 PM   #45
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

He's been raving about them to me, and knowing Connor he takes great pain to make this Jeep handle nice and tight on the road, I wouldn't say he would call the set up with JJs would be what he would describe as "stiff", he has told me that everything is still nice and tight, maybe more so now with the MC joints, but that they do a better job of absorbing shock, all the little bumps and cracks in the road that JJs transfer because of the urethane bushings.

This is a major reason I'm considering these for my Jeepspeed build. Granted that most of the time my rig will be left to DD use and looking pretty, these joints should also help reduce the amount of NVH, keeping as much from being transferred to the chassis, and preserving my precious unibody, both on and offroad.

89 MJ: Project: Ground up - Sold
01 XJ: Project: Silverback - Totaled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Penis inches...
Good god man. Indyorv :rofl: d**k and fart jokes. :rofl:
RockRodHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.