How the Metalcloak Duroflex bushing stacks up - Page 15 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How the Metalcloak Duroflex bushing stacks up

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-19-2013, 01:41 PM   #211
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I installed the front uppers last night. I posted a short install/review for those interested. It's in my build thread.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003

www.norcal-jeeps.com
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2013, 02:16 PM   #212
Jay12
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokenMSJ View Post
Hey guys.. Will from MC pointed me here.. Had some questions about how well the DF joints would hold up on a front triangulated setup from a deflection and wear standpoint..

Currently have TeraFlex 5" LCG Max Long Arm kit on the Jeep.. It's a triangulated 4 link setup on the front and rear.. Stress forces on the front upper CA joints are well beyond the capabilties of what the 2" joint was intended. (Should have had a 2.5 joint IMHO, but there's not clearances with the current frame and axle mounts to hold the 2.5") I'm going through the rebuildable joint bushings about every 5000 miles to keep the death wobble (DW) at bay. Mostly road miles with some moderate wheeling.. The Flex Joints on the TeraFlex kit are basically the same thing as a Johnny Joint (designwise, even if material isn't), they just use a 7/8 x18 (tpi) shank rather than the 3/4" or 1" shank the JJ comes in.

Anyroads.. Have been considering the Duroflex joints as an option for replacement. I know all the "Pros" about using them from what's on the MC site and now reading here. My concern is using something as flexy as the Duroflex joint could be in a triagulated 4 link. When I say I've been rebuilding due to wear it's due to the DW that's a result of a worn joint.. By most peoples and suspension standards the joints are not really worn out, just worn down, but the lack of any trackbar with my 4 link has a very low tolerance for worn or overly flexy parts before the thing starts with the DW.

Thanks for any input you guys can provide...

--
Rob
Imped, who started the thread, runs a triangulated 4 link rear and 3 link front...
Unread 03-22-2013, 02:44 PM   #213
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokenMSJ View Post
Hey guys.. Will from MC pointed me here.. Had some questions about how well the DF joints would hold up on a front triangulated setup from a deflection and wear standpoint..

Currently have TeraFlex 5" LCG Max Long Arm kit on the Jeep.. It's a triangulated 4 link setup on the front and rear.. Stress forces on the front upper CA joints are well beyond the capabilties of what the 2" joint was intended. (Should have had a 2.5 joint IMHO, but there's not clearances with the current frame and axle mounts to hold the 2.5") I'm going through the rebuildable joint bushings about every 5000 miles to keep the death wobble (DW) at bay. Mostly road miles with some moderate wheeling.. The Flex Joints on the TeraFlex kit are basically the same thing as a Johnny Joint (designwise, even if material isn't), they just use a 7/8 x18 (tpi) shank rather than the 3/4" or 1" shank the JJ comes in.

Anyroads.. Have been considering the Duroflex joints as an option for replacement. I know all the "Pros" about using them from what's on the MC site and now reading here. My concern is using something as flexy as the Duroflex joint could be in a triagulated 4 link. When I say I've been rebuilding due to wear it's due to the DW that's a result of a worn joint.. By most peoples and suspension standards the joints are not really worn out, just worn down, but the lack of any trackbar with my 4 link has a very low tolerance for worn or overly flexy parts before the thing starts with the DW.

Thanks for any input you guys can provide...

--
Rob
Post up pictures of your front suspension.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2013, 03:16 PM   #214
dwayTJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I finished off my front suspension with the MC short arms last night. Installed the lowers last week and noticed a much better ride, although it was just the front and seemed like it magnified the harshness of the rear. Also still had some steering shimmy at 45 and occasional DW. Installed the uppers last night and the difference is magical. Vastly improved the overall ride of the jeep and no shimmy or DW at all, even before alignment and probably with imbalanced tires. But, I was going from a very beat up stock suspension (I could wiggle the upper bushings loose by hand), so I would have been disappointed if I hadn't noticed a significant improvement.

This is my first set of adjustable arms so I don't have as much to compare with as most on JF, but needless to say I'm very happy and can't wait to finish off my rear suspension with them. Going wheeling tonight so I'll see how that goes. I don't expect to be disappointed (as long as I set them up correctly lol).

image-3511638772.jpg

image-3664018331.jpg
dwayTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2013, 01:44 PM   #215
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

A little crawling and some higher speed stuff:

Slow speed suspension view:

Higher speed suspension view:
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2013, 01:52 PM   #216
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I think this thread has convinced me to get Metalcloak's full set of arms.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2013, 01:55 PM   #217
BamaJeepman21
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post
I think this thread has convinced me to get Metalcloak's full set of arms.
x2. Seeing as I'll be doing alot of traveling in the near future, nothing is more important than how my Jeep handles and rides.

-Jack
BamaJeepman21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2013, 08:17 PM   #218
LittleBluE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ordered MC lowers for the rear yesterday. Will be ordering front lowers and uppers soon.
LittleBluE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2013, 09:33 PM   #219
aparke4
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Ordered upper joints for the RC front uppers that have been drilled out for the currie JJ conversion

Front lowers and rear lowers as soon as I get the jeep $!
aparke4 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2013, 05:24 PM   #220
drewtj05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

For you guys that have run both JJs and the cloak arms so far which overall has a better on road ride?
drewtj05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2013, 05:40 PM   #221
LittleBluE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Still haven't received my arms.
Unread 03-31-2013, 06:47 PM   #222
aparke4
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBluE View Post
Still haven't received my arms.
yeah my order is still processing from 3/18
aparke4 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2013, 07:03 PM   #223
LittleBluE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I already sold my old arms and to be honest with them being in the same state as me, 10 days is pushing it.

Genright and savvy are same state and have always had me my parts in 3 days tops.....
Unread 03-31-2013, 07:39 PM   #224
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

gonna be ordering some tonight, does anyone know the threads per inch that the metalcloak "threaded spud" is?
1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/alternator-welder-write-up-1301614/[/url]
my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tj-uppers-yj-half-doors-hard-top-installation-1417686/[/url]
RC vs BDS
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rough-country-vs-bds-1461555/[/url]
Ripper3494 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2013, 10:38 PM   #225
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
A little crawling and some higher speed stuff:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbrOXBzKewU

Slow speed suspension view:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8Kha4xGbRg

Higher speed suspension view:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgL_IxcmX-E
do you think you could do a launch with the MC joints on pavement to get a good comparison in deflection? In the videos it looks like the MCs have more deflection on acceleration, which is expected, I was just wondering how big the difference really was.

thanks
1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/alternator-welder-write-up-1301614/[/url]
my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tj-uppers-yj-half-doors-hard-top-installation-1417686/[/url]
RC vs BDS
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rough-country-vs-bds-1461555/[/url]
Ripper3494 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
control arms , duroflex

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.