How the Metalcloak Duroflex bushing stacks up - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How the Metalcloak Duroflex bushing stacks up

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Reply
Unread 02-27-2013, 10:58 AM   #151
Imped
Web Wheeler
 
Imped's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 19,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post
For sure! Right now it's a pipe dream. In reality, I'll be slapping some new clevites in the factory mounts and run it for a while. I'll be picking up some upper arms next week from the MC boys.
That should work just fine for you. You're not gonna be able to run long enough shocks to hit the misalignment limits of the MC bushings at the frame end.

__________________
OlllllllO
Float Test Build
IndyORV
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 11:11 AM   #152
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler
 
bobthetj03's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lake County, Ca.
Posts: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
That should work just fine for you. You're not gonna be able to run long enough shocks to hit the misalignment limits of the MC bushings at the frame end.
It'll do for now for the kind of wheelin I do. I can't touch some of the stuff you Indy guys tackle!
__________________
Bob's boring build:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 11:14 AM   #153
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler
 
bobthetj03's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lake County, Ca.
Posts: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by J03_TJ View Post
I'd like to hear how inserting the new clevites in the axle mounts goes for you (mostly the casting side). If they are anything like the interference fit of pushing the lower arm clevites into RE control arms, that took all the push my 20 ton press could muster.
I'll be documenting the swap in my build thread. Hoping that some all thread, a couple of well placed sockets, and some patience will get-r-done.
__________________
Bob's boring build:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 12:07 PM   #154
TroubleNEO
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Amherst, OH
Posts: 1,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by J03_TJ View Post
I'd like to hear how inserting the new clevites in the axle mounts goes for you (mostly the casting side). If they are anything like the interference fit of pushing the lower arm clevites into RE control arms, that took all the push my 20 ton press could muster.
You mean the front upper CA bushings on the axle end? Those were fairly easy. I burned them with a torch until the center roll pin slid out, then hit them with a sawzall on the top and bottom. After that I hammered a screw driver in between the bushing and the hole to bend them in. As soon as you get them bent a little they pop right out. Then the new ones were hammered in with a block of wood and big hand sledge.

One of the funniest things I've seen so far working on my Jeep was when one of the roll pins had decided it had enough, made a loud *ZING* sound and forcibly shot out of the bushing right in the middle of heating it. It must have been under a lot of tension that released once the rubber around it got hot.
__________________
Looking for: 03-06 interior plastic trim. PM me.
TroubleNEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 12:45 PM   #155
Imped
Web Wheeler
 
Imped's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 19,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroubleNEO View Post

One of the funniest things I've seen so far working on my Jeep was when one of the roll pins had decided it had enough, made a loud *ZING* sound and forcibly shot out of the bushing right in the middle of heating it. It must have been under a lot of tension that released once the rubber around it got hot.
Yep, every one of those I've ever burned out have shot the sleeve out. I just let them burn until the rubber is all but gone then punch the outer sleeve out.
__________________
OlllllllO
Float Test Build
IndyORV
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 08:23 PM   #156
J03_TJ
Self Smarted
 
J03_TJ's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sparks NV
Posts: 3,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post
I'll be documenting the swap in my build thread. Hoping that some all thread, a couple of well placed sockets, and some patience will get-r-done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroubleNEO View Post
You mean the front upper CA bushings on the axle end? Those were fairly easy. I burned them with a torch until the center roll pin slid out, then hit them with a sawzall on the top and bottom. After that I hammered a screw driver in between the bushing and the hole to bend them in. As soon as you get them bent a little they pop right out. Then the new ones were hammered in with a block of wood and big hand sledge.

One of the funniest things I've seen so far working on my Jeep was when one of the roll pins had decided it had enough, made a loud *ZING* sound and forcibly shot out of the bushing right in the middle of heating it. It must have been under a lot of tension that released once the rubber around it got hot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Yep, every one of those I've ever burned out have shot the sleeve out. I just let them burn until the rubber is all but gone then punch the outer sleeve out.
Thanks for the info. I can just imagine a propane torch (I don't have a cutting torch) and those bushings would be a stinky event. Like all my other work, has to be in the garage so guess I better plan on having the side door open too and hope for a breezy day. Thanks again, sorry again to detour from your MC joint thread.
J03_TJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 11:38 AM   #157
aparke4
Web Wheeler
 
aparke4's Avatar
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,929
It's a stinky and nasty affair- I have only had trouble getting the bushing above the pumpkin out when the axle is installed in a jeep... Otherwise there seems to be a voodoo of ease when the axle is out! Burn out the center bushing, ball joint press it out, the sawzall two cuts on the sleeve and it will hammer out. It's the only way I have ever been able to get them out!

Mc duroflex uppers on the axle would be really cool! The currie housing kit is just so easy to install- I am using the currie driver upper and artec truss with currie pass upper. A bare truss and mc housing might install in the artec truss pass side pretty easy. Driver side upper would have to be custom machined with one of mc housing kits.
aparke4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 06:51 PM   #158
btn
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Colorado
Posts: 395
I can't find much info on Metalcloak's website, but does anyone know the specific type of lubricant needed between the bushing and the barrel? I know you can't use regular chassis grease.
__________________
2000 TJ, 4.0L, 4" short arm suspension lift, 35" tires, Rear D44 and front HP30 both with ARBs and chromo shafts, NV3550.
btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 06:55 PM   #159
tjcj
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Yakima, Wa
Posts: 950
[QUOTE="btn;15072218"]I can't find much info on Metalcloak's website, but does anyone know the specific type of lubricant needed between the bushing and the barrel? I know you can't use regular chassis grease.[/QUOTE/] I believe MC sends the grease with the joint. Or thats what they said in the video Imped linked.

Sent from my XT881 freezeray gun using JeepForum
__________________
Yakima Valley Mountaineers.
tjcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 06:56 PM   #160
btn
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Colorado
Posts: 395
[quote=tjcj;15072249]
Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
I can't find much info on Metalcloak's website, but does anyone know the specific type of lubricant needed between the bushing and the barrel? I know you can't use regular chassis grease.[/QUOTE/] I believe MC sends the grease with the joint. Or thats what they said in the video Imped linked.

Sent from my XT881 freezeray gun using JeepForum
They didn't in my order anyway. Even if they included some, I'd like to have extra on hand.
__________________
2000 TJ, 4.0L, 4" short arm suspension lift, 35" tires, Rear D44 and front HP30 both with ARBs and chromo shafts, NV3550.
btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 10:57 PM   #161
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Posts: 1,231
If I am not mistaken the same grease which does not attack polyraces (or JJ or Flex Joints) would do.

Daystar has some silicon based teflon grease for their joints ... quite expensive, but only needed once in a while.

DuPont has has some silicon/teflon grease too ...
__________________
"The more I know, the more I realize how much I don't know"
my LS1 swap build thread
THE cheap progressive bump stop solution
chmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 05:45 PM   #162
Shadowline
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Greenville, SC, South Carolina
Posts: 117
Ordered a set for the front this morning, based on this review. I will say that already I'm impressed with there customer service... Got a call from Will at Metalcloak confirming the order soon after placing it. Very professional and informative, and un-expected. Looking forward to receiving them.
__________________
2003 TJ 4.0 5-speed 31inch Goodyear Authority's, 2inch Rubicon Express Springs, Hella Vision Plus H/L's, IPF upgraded H/L wiring harness. JCR Offroad Stage 2 Frt Bumper with CocaCola Bottle opener, Smittybuilt XCR8 Winch, Rampage Bowless top.
Shadowline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #163
aparke4
Web Wheeler
 
aparke4's Avatar
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowline View Post
Ordered a set for the front this morning, based on this review. I will say that already I'm impressed with there customer service... Got a call from Will at Metalcloak confirming the order soon after placing it. Very professional and informative, and un-expected. Looking forward to receiving them.
replacement joints or control arms?
aparke4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 07:15 PM   #164
Shadowline
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Greenville, SC, South Carolina
Posts: 117
Complete arms...
__________________
2003 TJ 4.0 5-speed 31inch Goodyear Authority's, 2inch Rubicon Express Springs, Hella Vision Plus H/L's, IPF upgraded H/L wiring harness. JCR Offroad Stage 2 Frt Bumper with CocaCola Bottle opener, Smittybuilt XCR8 Winch, Rampage Bowless top.
Shadowline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 12:14 PM   #165
lactrain
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 389
Just ordered my complete set of arms .....
__________________
LACTRAINS 05 RUBICON Build Thread

USAJEEPOWNERS.com
lactrain is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.