How the Metalcloak Duroflex bushing stacks up - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How the Metalcloak Duroflex bushing stacks up

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 02-26-2013, 01:43 PM   #136
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Yes you have to cut off the jj housing and use mc's housings in its place....

GMBNT42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2013, 01:54 PM   #137
SKINUM
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I think I'd just leave the front uppers with Johnny joints & replace the rest. I already have replaced the axle mount on my Jeep so it wouldn't be worth the minimal improvement for me.
SKINUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2013, 02:03 PM   #138
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaJeepman21 View Post
Could you just order this from Savvy without the JJ and use this Duroflex? Or am I missing something here?
It wouldn't work. You would have to either fab your own or buy a prefabbed set of upper axle control arm mounts....like the Clayton ones.........request them to come without the JJ housings welded on so that you could weld on the MC duroflex housings........thats how you can run duroflex bushings up front at the top axle mounts.
GMBNT42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2013, 02:50 PM   #139
scot68
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINUM View Post
I think I'd just leave the front uppers with Johnny joints & replace the rest. I already have replaced the axle mounts on my Jeep so it wouldn't be worth the minimal improvement for me.
^^ This is what I'm thinking of doing. I'm just wondering though how it would ride with Duroflex uppers/lowers in the rear but only Duroflex lowers in the front (keeping all 4 JJ uppers)? I wouldn't want the rear end considerably softer than the front end.
scot68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2013, 02:58 PM   #140
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Someone needs to make a truss that has tab style bracket mounts for the uppers, then just buy arms with joints at both ends. A truss would simplify having to weld to the cast diff housing, make it stronger, and eliminate the Clevites.

Something like this....
http://claytonoffroad.com/product_in...roducts_id/358

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2013, 06:48 PM   #141
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03
Someone needs to make a truss that has tab style bracket mounts for the uppers, then just buy arms with joints at both ends. A truss would simplify having to weld to the cast diff housing, make it stronger, and eliminate the Clevites.

Something like this....
That's how I plan to mount my 3 link. Clayton bridge without the link mount. Probably use an artec flat link mount instead.

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 04:44 AM   #142
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post

Something like this....
I know it's done quite a bit with D60 builds. Everything I've read says properly welding mild to cast is a PITA. Professionals prefer brazing rather than welding.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 07:54 AM   #143
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_dippert View Post
I know it's done quite a bit with D60 builds. Everything I've read says properly welding mild to cast is a PITA. Professionals prefer brazing rather than welding.
It welds to the tubes.

I built a simple bridge from 1/2" steel for next to nothing and cut some tabs out of 5/16" plate I had sitting in my steel bin.

You can see it here:

[IMG][/IMG]
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 09:21 AM   #144
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I guess it's not rocket science. A bridge like that should be simple enough. How did you weld the bridge to the driver side. There's not much axle tube to weld to between the housing and the spring perch mount.

Unread 02-27-2013, 09:26 AM   #145
rchase559
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I guess it's not rocket science. A bridge like that should be simple enough. How did you weld the bridge to the driver side. There's not much axle tube to weld to between the housing and the spring perch mount.
Build new coil buckets that tie into the truss.
rchase559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 09:33 AM   #146
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post
There's not a bracket on that axle that's stock....it was bare tube before I started. The coil buckets and truss tie into each other on the short tube.
Unread 02-27-2013, 09:44 AM   #147
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Guess I better hit the wrecking yards and find a HP30 to practice on, lol!

Unread 02-27-2013, 10:03 AM   #148
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

If you plan on doing much welding to a 30, I'd recommend sleeving the tubes to help dissipate that heat out first....and go nice and slow.
Unread 02-27-2013, 10:24 AM   #149
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
If you plan on doing much welding to a 30, I'd recommend sleeving the tubes to help dissipate that heat out first....and go nice and slow.
For sure! Right now it's a pipe dream. In reality, I'll be slapping some new clevites in the factory mounts and run it for a while. I'll be picking up some upper arms next week from the MC boys.

Unread 02-27-2013, 10:35 AM   #150
J03_TJ
Self Smarted

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

For sure! Right now it's a pipe dream. In reality, I'll be slapping some new clevites in the factory mounts and run it for a while. I'll be picking up some upper arms next week from the MC boys.
I'd like to hear how inserting the new clevites in the axle mounts goes for you (mostly the casting side). If they are anything like the interference fit of pushing the lower arm clevites into RE control arms, that took all the push my 20 ton press could muster.
J03_TJ is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.