How LOW can you go? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How LOW can you go?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!

Unread 05-31-2008, 05:38 PM   #1
Zoom By You
2001 TJ Wrangler 

How LOW can you go?

I'm having difficulty getting my soft top to fully retracted into the tub. The best I can do is about five inches above, which is pretty similar to the way it's done in the link below that I found. I see some guys with them sitting more than a foot high, which really looks like crap. Is there a detailed link with some close-up pictures showing the exact/best way to fully fold and tuck this thing in, without damaging the material? I have the sailcloth top which is pretty thick and not very pliable. Any pictures would be great!

http://www.links4jeeps.com/writeups/softtop/

2001 TJ Sport Amber Fire, Dual Tops/Dual Doors, 4.0, Banks Ram-Air, Banks S.S. Monster exhaust, five speed, NV3550, A.A. SYE/Tom Woods, 4:56 D30/D35, Detroit Truetrac at both ends, Solid diff covers, 4.5 R.E. Super Flex W/3.5 springs, adjustable upper and lower control arms, adjustable front and rear R.E. track bars, TeraFlex shock relocation brackets, R.E. Mono tube shocks, R.E. front stabilizer, R.E. 3/4" front spacer, 33 X 12.5 TrXus STS, M/T Classic-locks, ShrockWorks Rock Rails, Hanson 52" front bumper, EPi9.0 Superwinch with wireless control, Olympic rear bumper, Olympic Mountaineer rack, Bushwacker 6" Pocket Flares, Optima yellow top, IPF headlights W/ Fatboys, upgraded relay/wiring harness, KC Slims, Bosch rear lights, Garmin c550 GPS, Garmin 76S GPS, Cobra CB 148GTL W/Astatic Mic, Pioneer Sound, 3A Racing fire extinguishers. Manhattan Rated....
Zoom By You is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2008, 05:48 PM   #2
04WranglerX
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I get my whole top below the tub level, and I have two 10" subs.

I'll take pics eventually.
35" Yokohama Geolanders on black rock krawlers
Dana 44 rear, ARB air locker, cromo shafts, Dana 30 front, 4.88's front and rear.
04WranglerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2008, 05:51 PM   #3
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

There actually is a proper way of folding the top down. I have subs in the trunk of my TJ so I don't have any room to fold the top down behind the rear seat and I can still manage to get it sticking only a few inches above the tub.

First, take out the windows. duh.

Now, get it ready to be put down (remove all the fin things that tuck into the tub railing). At the rear, take the long corner pieces and fold them up and lay them across the top of the rear soft top. They should be horizontal, laying across eachother.

Now with the corner pieces laying on top of the rear most bow (with the top still up), fold the top down flat. You should always be able to get the rear and middle bows under neath the tub. It's best done when warm or hot.

That's without any storage room in the rear. It's the same thing as an instratrunk. You should have more room than that. That is about how low it goes for me now. About average. And that's sloppy. I could make it much neater if I cared.

Anyone else get their top lower?

"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville

“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it” -- Mark Twain

† Christian Jeep Club †
Romans 12:5 | 1 Peter 3:15 | Matthew 9:37-38
bman9089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2008, 05:52 PM   #4
.Jch.
2006 LJ Wrangler 

My LJ sits a couple inches up, but I normally take my time w/ the folds and really press things down to make it look clean.

This pic is kinda sloppy though.

[U]OllllllllO[/U][/B]
[SIZE="1"]2006 Unlimited[/SIZE][/CENTER][/SIZE]
[center][B]Black Jeep Club V2.0 Member #2006
[URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/LJ_Owners"]LJ Owners, join the group and click here.[/URL][/B][/center]
.Jch. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2008, 05:53 PM   #5
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

That top in Bman's photo above is as low as I've ever gotten mine in the past 12 years. I stopped worrying about how it looks by not being down perfectly many years ago.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2008, 06:01 PM   #6
97tjconan
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I usally take mine completely off by late March early April and leave it off till About Oct.or Nov. so I just fold the hardware back..
97tjconan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2008, 06:05 PM   #7
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97tjconan View Post
I usally take mine completely off by late March early April and leave it off till About Oct.or Nov. so I just fold the hardware back..
click free.

"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville

“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it” -- Mark Twain

† Christian Jeep Club †
Romans 12:5 | 1 Peter 3:15 | Matthew 9:37-38
bman9089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2008, 07:33 PM   #8
cbowles
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Am I the only person that would rather take the entire soft top & frame off instead of just folding it down? I don't think I've ever folded it down... I figure that if I'm going to take the sides and back window out I might as well just take the 4 screws out of the frame clips and take the whole thing off........... maybe that's just me though..........

PS: At first I thought this thread was about someone lowering their Jeep.... lol :::

Last edited by cbowles; 05-31-2008 at 07:46 PM..
cbowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2008, 07:47 PM   #9
TJ-xtreme
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I would just take it completely off if i had a garage but i live in an apartment so it's not an option. Anyways, I usually have no problem getting it down to where the only thing sticking up is the windshield channle. It's all about tucking in each rail individually and pulling out all the slack in between rail as you fold it down. to finish it off i have a set of adjustable sleeping bag straps that i wrap around it and tighten down and then it only sticks about an inch or two above the tub.
2001 TJ Sport w/ D44, 2.5" Susp. lift,1" BL w/ MML, 35x12.50 BFG KM2's on 15x8 Soft 8's, Smittybilt XRC Front Bumper and Rocker Guards, S/B SRC Rear Bumper, Xenon 4" Flat Flares, JKS Disconnects, 48" Hi-Lift Jack, OBA System, Optima Blue Top, Hella Lighting. More on the way... ;}
JEEP= Just+Empty+Every+Pocket.....
EAT-SLEEP-JEEP OlllllllO TJ-XTREME
TJ-xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2008, 09:21 PM   #10
1CleanTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

lowest mine goes is about 4" above the tub edge

its not that noticeable though.

@ the comment about just taking the top off completely, yea it only takes two minutes, but its not when it gets cold or starts raining and your away from home to be able to toss the softtop up and be all set especially with a kid in the backseat
1CleanTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2008, 09:49 PM   #11
Zoom By You
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Taking the top off completely is easy with the quick disconnects I have installed but when traveling out-of-town I want the top and windows with me. Also, the reason I want it as low as possible is because I occasionally use the clover patch window roll bag, which gets laced on top of the lowered top. It's just is too high with that on top....

1CleanTJ I think you have it lowest so far; is that top made with the sailcloth material?
2001 TJ Sport Amber Fire, Dual Tops/Dual Doors, 4.0, Banks Ram-Air, Banks S.S. Monster exhaust, five speed, NV3550, A.A. SYE/Tom Woods, 4:56 D30/D35, Detroit Truetrac at both ends, Solid diff covers, 4.5 R.E. Super Flex W/3.5 springs, adjustable upper and lower control arms, adjustable front and rear R.E. track bars, TeraFlex shock relocation brackets, R.E. Mono tube shocks, R.E. front stabilizer, R.E. 3/4" front spacer, 33 X 12.5 TrXus STS, M/T Classic-locks, ShrockWorks Rock Rails, Hanson 52" front bumper, EPi9.0 Superwinch with wireless control, Olympic rear bumper, Olympic Mountaineer rack, Bushwacker 6" Pocket Flares, Optima yellow top, IPF headlights W/ Fatboys, upgraded relay/wiring harness, KC Slims, Bosch rear lights, Garmin c550 GPS, Garmin 76S GPS, Cobra CB 148GTL W/Astatic Mic, Pioneer Sound, 3A Racing fire extinguishers. Manhattan Rated....
Zoom By You is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2008, 10:16 PM   #12
tommy_chunk
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbowles View Post
Am I the only person that would rather take the entire soft top & frame off instead of just folding it down? I don't think I've ever folded it down... I figure that if I'm going to take the sides and back window out I might as well just take the 4 screws out of the frame clips and take the whole thing off........... maybe that's just me though..........

PS: At first I thought this thread was about someone lowering their Jeep.... lol :::

EXACTLY...I do this each time. I take the side windows out, remove hardware for top, remove my doors completely and stuff it all in the shed. I have gotten faster at it each time and can do it in about 5-10 minutes. If I got the quick connect top hardware, it would go much faster.
tommy_chunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2008, 01:34 AM   #13
_Yeti_
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Unread 06-01-2008, 09:20 AM   #14
thejafe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

If you know how to do it, folding the top down so it's nice and flat really is very easy. I think they do a good job of explaining it in the video that comes with a new TJ. Try and get your hands on one of those.
thejafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2008, 10:26 AM   #15
kizer

As the author of said writeup my only goal for the height is so its low enough so I can get my duster cover on, which I can every time. I keep all my gear back there and I don't want it walking off or in the eyes of those who might want to barrow some of it while forgetting to tell me.

kizer is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.