How long will it take a stock Rubicon Unlimited to get down to about $10,000? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How long will it take a stock Rubicon Unlimited to get down to about $10,000?

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-02-2006, 08:55 PM   #1
DINOCAVE
formerly CPT Jeep

2005 LJ Wrangler 

How long will it take a stock Rubicon Unlimited to get down to about $10,000?

I really want to get one but just can't justify spending 25-30 grand. I'm thinking that when they get down to between $10,000-$14,000 I'll buy one. So how long do I have to wait?

DINOCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2006, 09:05 PM   #2
cueball

probably 5-7 years.. i am looking at a 99 and it is coming in at around 9500..

Hello to the New - 1999 TJ Sport 4.0L auto.. stock for now
cueball is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2006, 09:08 PM   #3
Dawgfan

7-10 years is my guess, Jeeps hold value pretty well and the Rubicon will hold better than the others IMO.

Ben
Dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2006, 09:36 PM   #4
Erik T.
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Question.

Other then lockers and tires, aren't Rubicons and Unlimiteds the same? Or does the LJ only have one 44 axle compared to the Rubi's 2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Hack work? :rofl: You just described half the modified jeeps on this board.
Erik T. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2006, 09:39 PM   #5
jcd
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atla
Question.

Other then lockers and tires, aren't Rubicons and Unlimiteds the same? Or does the LJ only have one 44 axle compared to the Rubi's 2?

A standard trim Unlimited has the 44 rear/30 front combo and other than being longer, is pretty much the same as a Sport model SWB.
Unread 09-02-2006, 09:48 PM   #6
thesherm
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT Jeep
I really want to get one but just can't justify spending 25-30 grand. I'm thinking that when they get down to between $10,000-$14,000 I'll buy one. So how long do I have to wait?
half to a third of the original value is a huge range. 5 to 10 years.
Unfortunately you are one of those poor misguided folks that believes leaving the gear shift lever in one slot or another is an indication of control.

Come go for a ride and I'll be glad to demonstrate the difference between what you perceive incorrectly as "control" and what control actually is.

Pick a different reason because that one is both lame and stupid to perpetuate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine
Pardon me for damaging your precious reputation. It's not that I disagree, that would be a difference of opinion. This isn't subjective, it's objective, you are just wrong. If you make that statement, you are misguided. It is that simple.

Last edited by thesherm; 09-03-2006 at 12:13 AM..
thesherm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2006, 09:49 PM   #7
Roughneck
2006 LJ Wrangler 

My buddies Unlimited has a D35 front and D44 rear. The D44 does have discs brakes, Ltd Slip, but 3.73 gears. My Rubi has 2 D44's with 4.10 gears, air lockers, and 4wheel discs. I don't think mine has Ltd Slip even though the brochure says it does. I think those are the mose expensive differences between Rubi & Unltd.

Oh yeah, It will be a long time before they get "cheap" and then high milage, no warranty, years of abuse. All that.
Unread 09-02-2006, 10:40 PM   #8
The Mean Fish
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck-2zero
My buddies Unlimited has a D35 front and D44 rear. The D44 does have discs brakes, Ltd Slip, but 3.73 gears. My Rubi has 2 D44's with 4.10 gears, air lockers, and 4wheel discs. I don't think mine has Ltd Slip even though the brochure says it does. I think those are the mose expensive differences between Rubi & Unltd.

Oh yeah, It will be a long time before they get "cheap" and then high milage, no warranty, years of abuse. All that.
It's a 30 up front, not a 35 and your Rubicon does have a helical gear LSD in the rear axle. You're also forgetting the 241 t-case with the 4:1 reduction.
The Mean Fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2006, 10:45 PM   #9
RP_Offroad
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Get a TJ and make one. Better than waiting 10 years.
RP_Offroad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2006, 12:10 AM   #10
ni0h

low-pressure lockers front&rear
only the 4.0
4:1 TC
D44F&R, rear with torsen
high-pressure nitrogen shocks (that's the lift, not the springs)
upgraded sound
full hard doors
rocker protection, not nearly as worthless as some say
ni0h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2006, 12:14 AM   #11
-RocknRoll-
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Alot can happen in 10 years. If your married then that might mean more kids . If your single then it might mean you get married. I couldn't wait that long, i have a hard time upgrading at the rate i have to go, it pains me
-RocknRoll- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2006, 08:25 AM   #12
BillR
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP_Offroad
Get a TJ and make one. Better than waiting 10 years.
Yep, that's what I did.
Rubies came out in '03, so in another 4-5 years you should be able to find one for that price.
Unread 09-03-2006, 08:52 AM   #13
ocezam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillR
Yep, that's what I did.
Rubies came out in '03, so in another 4-5 years you should be able to find one for that price.

He wasn't asking about a Rubi...the OP wants an LJ. Stretching a TJ isn't exactly bolt on.

Unread 09-03-2006, 08:54 AM   #14
Bigbob

I thing a couple peoples here are confusing the LJ and Rubi LJ. Same differences as the regular TJ and Rubi TJ. The prices for used LJ, rubi or not, are going to remain high.

But on the good side. There are a lot of people who will want the new 4 dr. They may be trading in LJ's left and right in the next couple years.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2006, 11:10 AM   #15
Gerg

My guess is the Unlimited will become the new Scrambler. They will take their dip then become more valuable as time goes on.
[SIZE=1][COLOR=Red]Red Jeep Club #321[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
Gerg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.