How long do you let your Permatex cure before refill? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How long do you let your Permatex cure before refill?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 09-16-2006, 08:05 PM   #1
FL 4.0L

How long do you let your Permatex cure before refill?

I just changed the diff fluid in a D44 and I'm anxious to refill it. When I've done it before, I've used the red stuff and let it sit overnight. This time I used the Ultra black, and I need the truck tomorrow morning. So, do I fill it tonight or get up early tomorrow? Package says it takes 24 hrs for a full cure, but that's merely a suggestion, right? Thanks!

FL 4.0L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2006, 08:08 PM   #2
otisdog
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Heck I've always filled mine up within an hour.
Jim
Unread 09-16-2006, 08:22 PM   #3
FL 4.0L

Good. I'll wait for the end of the Tennessee/Florida game and refill. It's late 2nd quarter now.
Unread 09-16-2006, 08:24 PM   #4
daveg13
1999 TJ Wrangler 

5 minutes here, no leaks.
daveg13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2006, 08:27 PM   #5
koisanke

I figure it usually takes me 10 or 15 minutes to put the second cover back on that would be about how long i wait.
koisanke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2006, 09:28 PM   #6
FL 4.0L

It's done and it's dry. Thanks for the help!
Unread 09-18-2006, 12:19 PM   #7
Claw

I use the gray Mopar Gear Lube RTV. It's specifically designed for use with gear lube, and can be applied even if you don't clean the old fluid off of the mating surfaces. I let it set up for about 20 minutes, although I don't think it's necessary.
'02 Wrangler Sport, 4.0L Auto, D44/D30, ARB lockers, Tera S4T, 33x12.5 BFG MT/KMs, Eagle 589s, Rancho RS 9000s, Warn XD9000i, Wilderness Swing Away, Currie Rockers, Bestop Flares, Cobra 75WXST, Garmin GPS V, etc.
Claw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2006, 12:23 PM   #8
FLATFENDER54
2001 TJ Wrangler 

By the time you had typed this it was ready.
FLATFENDER54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2006, 12:32 PM   #9
Rusty the Scoob

Yep. 5 minutes here. I've used blue and black with no problems.
2001 TJ Sport 2" coil lift, 31" TrXus, swapped in 3.73s, ORFab cage, Aussie front locker, A to Z Fab rocker skids, JeepMedic Oil Pan Skid, JeepMedic LCA skids, Alloy USA D30 Seals, Warn Diff Skids, Cobra 75wx CB, Jeeperman prototype front bumper, 9.5ti, custom rear bumper, Rokmen frame tie-in kit.
Rusty the Scoob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2006, 02:14 PM   #10
19OlllllllO41
Jeep Addict

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have always waited about an hour, and have never had a problem with leaks. But in reality, you prob can basically fill it right away/within a few minutes. If you were to take it to a mechanic, they would put the cover back on and fill it right away because they dont have time to waste waiting around for it to dry. So if they can do it that quick and not have leaks, you can too!
'04 WJ
The Past:
'83 CJ7, '92 YJ, '00 XJ, '99 TJ, '05 TJ Rubicon (Impact Orange)
19OlllllllO41 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.