How to KNOW if my driveshaft is too long or too short... write up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How to KNOW if my driveshaft is too long or too short... write up

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 12-31-2011, 10:05 PM   #1
dcope17
2006 TJ Wrangler 

How to KNOW if my driveshaft is too long or too short... write up

Okay... this forum is great with a lot of people having experience to answer questions. I just happened to be getting my front diff back in place ( with about a 1" stretch ) and I needed to see if my DS will work. So here it is... the only way to know beyond the shadow of a doubt that your DS is not too long or too short for your setup.

The first thing I did was to pull off the clamps around the rubber boot and pull the DS splines apart. When I got it apart... I measured the length of the splines and they were 3 1/4" long. So at the fully stuffed position... I had 1/2" of splines showing outside the opposing end meaning that I had 2 3/4" of engagement.

This pic isn't fully stuffed but its close.

Then I drooped the axle fully and measured it again... here I had 1" exposed so I have only 2 1/4" engaged.

So, now I have to decide if it's okay to go with a 2 1/4 engagement... For me personally, I will be having the shaft lengthened cause I can easily have full engagement throughout the entire range of motion.

Anyway... this is the ONLY way to KNOW if your DS will not fall apart or not compress enough and breaking your TC in half. So you can take someones word if it will work but where are they if something goes wrong????

Don't be lazy... check your stuff out!!!!!

Life with Christ can be explained like a Jeep...
Being in the Word... grows your tire size.
Prayer... gains more ground clearance.
Fellowship... Is like having a good spotter.

The more of these you have... the easier it is to get over obstacles in your path.
.[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f194/dcope17s-thoughts-bible-please-read-only-do-not-post-1333441/#post13115090"]My Bible Thread[/URL]
dcope17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.