How I figured out my bumpstops for a 2" BB Install with Skyjacker shocks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How I figured out my bumpstops for a 2" BB Install with Skyjacker shocks

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comEliminate Hood Flutter!!!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-13-2010, 04:32 PM   #1
Mike_Motorbike
2001 TJ Wrangler 

How I figured out my bumpstops for a 2" BB Install with Skyjacker shocks

I started with a 1 3/4" x 1" lift and stockish shocks ( Previous owner had just put in new shocks for stock jeep TJ.
You can read about it here VVVV.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ho...-pics-1025457/

I just added another 1" to the front and back to net a total 2 3/4" in the front and 2" in the back.

The Jeep listed to the passenger side 3/8" "Common Prob"
So I added 3 @ 1/8" spacers to that side front and rear and it worked pretty good.

I ordered some Skyjacker 2" lift shocks
Skyjacker Hydro Shock Absorbers, LOWEST PRICES on Skyjacker Hydro Shocks For $137.95 free shipping...

Quadratec's website lists the shock lengths as.
Front .
Extended: 22.75"aka 3/4"
Collapsed: 13.54" aka just over 1/2"
Eye / Stem
Rear .
Extended: 22.58" aka 9/16" just over
Collapsed: 13.71" aka just under 3/4"
Eye / Eye

I measured them and got...
Front.
Extended: 22.375" aka 3/8"
Collapsed: 13.54" aka 1/2" or very close to it
Rear .
Extended: 22.625" aka 5/8"
Collapsed: 13.75" aka 3/4"
Eye / Eye

The stockish existing one measured
Front.
Extended: 19 7/8"
Collapsed: 12 1/2"
Rear .
Extended: 19 1/2"
Collapsed: 12 1/4"
Eye / Eye

So the front Skyjacker compressed is about 1" longer than stock.
The rear Skyjacker compressed is about 1 1/2" longer than stock.

I removed the spring and used a Jack to fully compress the axle to the bumpstop cup to see if the shocks fit..
I forgot to take an after pic but here you can see I have 1 3/4"s of bumpstop spacers and I have a little over an inch. of space between the shock and the shock mount. So I removed the 1" spacer and left the 3/4" the shock still had about 1/4" clearance.
So only 3/4" was necessary.....

Here I have a 1" bumpstop spacer and the rear Skyjacker still has 1/4" of space...So you only need 1" in the rear.

Unread 10-13-2010, 04:42 PM   #2
Mike_Motorbike
2001 TJ Wrangler 

How to put bushings in

Lub is your friend

Press down with palm while rocking the shock body up and down..

Place pin in vise or the like..

again press with palm and rock..

same with spacer but you can press with the vise..

Unread 10-13-2010, 05:40 PM   #3
Mike_Motorbike
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Unread 10-13-2010, 09:08 PM   #4
Mike_Motorbike
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Oh I got an extra 1-1/4 of UP travel in the front.

But the in the rear only 1/2" to 3/4" since I didn't get a full inch. of lift.

The reason I got the skyjackers is they had the shortest advertised compressed shock length that cost less than $80 a shock......

Also I was making a bracket to reposition the rear lower shock mount to get an extra inch. of travel . But I found out while doing the bump stop tests that the shock will hit the frame if you go towards the tire to much . AND if i didn't have the top 1" bumpstop the spring would barley have a place to hold on to....so I have to have at least 1" bumpstop extension with a 2" BB
Unread 10-14-2010, 07:15 PM   #5
Mike_Motorbike
2001 TJ Wrangler 

This was some of my research for this lift

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sh...ngths-1000442/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/su...thread-917465/

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.