How hard is removing fuel tank and lines? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How hard is removing fuel tank and lines?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDual Color LED Light Bars White/Amber

Unread 06-13-2013, 03:51 PM   #1
T-Mav
1999 TJ Wrangler 

How hard is removing fuel tank and lines?

I will be starting in my frame repair tommorow. What all is involved on removing the tank and what else do I need to know? Also I cut off my buddies uca mounts off a 06 mine is a 99 I'm assuming there the same? I will just be patching in pieces,

T-Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 03:54 PM   #2
Benderff

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I believe Rokmen has a video for installing a gas tank skid that shows dropping the tank. It's very easy, as long as your tank is not full.

The UCA are the same.

Good luck.

Edit:
Unread 06-14-2013, 09:17 AM   #3
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

A transmission jack makes dropping the gas tank (and putting it back in place) much easier. They're not expensive if you get one at Harbor Freight.
hf-transmission-jack.jpg

armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 09:54 AM   #4
Jeepin72
Is it the weekend yet?

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN View Post
A transmission jack makes dropping the gas tank (and putting it back in place) much easier. They're not expensive if you get one at Harbor Freight.
IMO this was the hardest part! Make sure it is as empty as you can get it. I used an old table leave and a floor jack.

Also, I had a bear of a time reaching in and trying to undo the red retaining clip so I could undo the wiring for the fuel pump assy. My wiring had enough slack that I was able to shimmy the extra toward the tank so I could drop it to the floor and then screw with the connector.

Last edited by Jeepin72; 06-14-2013 at 09:56 AM.. Reason: idea
Jeepin72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 10:00 AM   #5
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN View Post
If you go to HF looking for a jack to make fuel tank removal/install easier I would suggest thier ATV jack. It has a large rubber pad on top and is a bit cheaper than transmission jack.

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 11:07 AM   #6
T-Mav
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I have a motorcycle jack. Thanks for info guys
T-Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 11:58 AM   #7
J03_TJ
Self Smarted

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Not sure about the '99, but on mine it's kind of important that you depressurization the fuel lines prior to disconnecting them. That and a jack, first couple times I did it with a floor jack and a piece of wood, kind if a pain I the butt alone, now I have a tranny jack, hoping to find out that makes it easier being able to strap it to the jack.
J03_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 11:59 AM   #8
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Don't forget to disconnect the filler neck!

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 12:39 PM   #9
mg2380
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Mav View Post
I have a motorcycle jack. Thanks for info guys
That's what I used.
mg2380 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.