How hard is it to install rear drum brake pads? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How hard is it to install rear drum brake pads?

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 08-04-2004, 11:34 AM   #1
97grntjsahara

How hard is it to install rear drum brake pads?

i am doing the fronts right now and i looked at the rears and they are pretty worn. Anyone have a writeup or some info on how to change them. Thanks!

Green Jeep Club Member #90

[COLOR=green]Sahara Jeep Club Member #1[/COLOR]

-RE 3.5"springs/DT3000
-RE Front Adj. Trackbar
-JKS Quick Disco's
-Banks Header
-32" BFG AT's on Cragar Soft 8's
-Warn Receiver Shackle
Future Mods:Body Armor[/COLOR]
97grntjsahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2004, 03:01 PM   #2
Jay-Mac

dont have a write up but do one side at a time so u can look back at the other when u forget how to put the orginal side together.....
chopped tube bumpers
warn m8000
optima yellow top
31X10.5 BFG'S MT'S

Near Future Mods:
Garvin wilderness rack and basket
Arb Snorkel
Safari/duster/windjammer combo sealed?

Famous Last Words "Hold onto your panties!.....SH*T"
Jay-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2004, 03:51 PM   #3
ColoradoSkier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97grntjsahara
i am doing the fronts right now and i looked at the rears and they are pretty worn. Anyone have a writeup or some info on how to change them. Thanks!
Get an FSM
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tenxible Solutions
Website Hosting, Design and Marketing
[URL]http://www.tenxible.com[/URL]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ColoradoSkier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2004, 04:45 PM   #4
NakedJeeper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97grntjsahara
There are some special brake tools that make the job a lot easier. Stretching and compressing the springs can be a pain with a screw driver and pliers. Beyond that its not rocket science. Those guys at the local garage did not take 8 years of auto shop to learn to change brakes.

Also, you should bleed them when you change them. Got a friend or SpeedBleeder?
Unread 08-04-2004, 10:19 PM   #5
BNovak

97' - I had the same thoughts last week before I started my rear brakes.

Turns out, they were a heckuva lot easier than I ever thought they would be. I did it using the Haynes manual, so that helps...

Either way if you have the book you shouldn't have any problems. When you buy the new drum pads, get the $7 brake wrench - well worth it even if you only use it once. Along with that, have some good sized needle nose pliers (2 pair) handy and a screwdriver. Other than that, I don't think I really used much else in the way of tools.

One trick tat everyone has said to use though - either take both wheels and drums off and use one for a reference, or take a picture and print it out BEFORE you start so you know how all the springs go back in.

For a first timer, the first side will cause a lot of cussing, second side is a bit easier. It took me about 2.5hours total for both sides, but I ended up jacking it up again the next day to get the proportioning correct.

Hope this helps.

-_BN
Unread 08-04-2004, 10:20 PM   #6
BNovak

Oh yeah, one other trick I learned.

Get a medium sized box and fill it with shredded papers...(I used old CC reciepts - they work great!) and when you take the outer drum off, spray the interior bits and pieces with brake cleaner. I used about a can per side.

Put the box under the brakes so it drips into the shredded paper. No mess on the garage floor!

--BN
Unread 08-05-2004, 11:42 AM   #7
Chipper

I've always done my own brakes and I always swore like a trooper when it came time to either take the springs off or to put them back on ....UNTIL.....I bought a brake spring tool. It looks kinda like a screwdriver with the handle in the middle of the shaft. One end is made to take off and put on the hold-down springs, the other end is for the return springs. It costs about $5 and is worth it's weight in gold.
I'll never do drum brakes without one.

http://www.bobstools.net/Store/LS46750.html
Chipper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.