How hard is it to install rear drum brake pads? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How hard is it to install rear drum brake pads?

Huge Soft top SaleUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-04-2004, 10:34 AM   #1
97grntjsahara

How hard is it to install rear drum brake pads?

i am doing the fronts right now and i looked at the rears and they are pretty worn. Anyone have a writeup or some info on how to change them. Thanks!

Green Jeep Club Member #90

[COLOR=green]Sahara Jeep Club Member #1[/COLOR]

-RE 3.5"springs/DT3000
-RE Front Adj. Trackbar
-JKS Quick Disco's
-Banks Header
-32" BFG AT's on Cragar Soft 8's
-Warn Receiver Shackle
Future Mods:Body Armor[/COLOR]
97grntjsahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2004, 02:01 PM   #2
Jay-Mac

dont have a write up but do one side at a time so u can look back at the other when u forget how to put the orginal side together.....
chopped tube bumpers
warn m8000
optima yellow top
31X10.5 BFG'S MT'S

Near Future Mods:
Garvin wilderness rack and basket
Arb Snorkel
Safari/duster/windjammer combo sealed?

Famous Last Words "Hold onto your panties!.....SH*T"
Jay-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2004, 02:51 PM   #3
ColoradoSkier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97grntjsahara
i am doing the fronts right now and i looked at the rears and they are pretty worn. Anyone have a writeup or some info on how to change them. Thanks!
Get an FSM
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tenxible Solutions
Website Hosting, Design and Marketing
[URL]http://www.tenxible.com[/URL]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ColoradoSkier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2004, 03:45 PM   #4
NakedJeeper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97grntjsahara
There are some special brake tools that make the job a lot easier. Stretching and compressing the springs can be a pain with a screw driver and pliers. Beyond that its not rocket science. Those guys at the local garage did not take 8 years of auto shop to learn to change brakes.

Also, you should bleed them when you change them. Got a friend or SpeedBleeder?
Unread 08-04-2004, 09:19 PM   #5
BNovak

97' - I had the same thoughts last week before I started my rear brakes.

Turns out, they were a heckuva lot easier than I ever thought they would be. I did it using the Haynes manual, so that helps...

Either way if you have the book you shouldn't have any problems. When you buy the new drum pads, get the $7 brake wrench - well worth it even if you only use it once. Along with that, have some good sized needle nose pliers (2 pair) handy and a screwdriver. Other than that, I don't think I really used much else in the way of tools.

One trick tat everyone has said to use though - either take both wheels and drums off and use one for a reference, or take a picture and print it out BEFORE you start so you know how all the springs go back in.

For a first timer, the first side will cause a lot of cussing, second side is a bit easier. It took me about 2.5hours total for both sides, but I ended up jacking it up again the next day to get the proportioning correct.

Hope this helps.

-_BN
Unread 08-04-2004, 09:20 PM   #6
BNovak

Oh yeah, one other trick I learned.

Get a medium sized box and fill it with shredded papers...(I used old CC reciepts - they work great!) and when you take the outer drum off, spray the interior bits and pieces with brake cleaner. I used about a can per side.

Put the box under the brakes so it drips into the shredded paper. No mess on the garage floor!

--BN
Unread 08-05-2004, 10:42 AM   #7
Chipper

I've always done my own brakes and I always swore like a trooper when it came time to either take the springs off or to put them back on ....UNTIL.....I bought a brake spring tool. It looks kinda like a screwdriver with the handle in the middle of the shaft. One end is made to take off and put on the hold-down springs, the other end is for the return springs. It costs about $5 and is worth it's weight in gold.
I'll never do drum brakes without one.

http://www.bobstools.net/Store/LS46750.html
Chipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.