How to flush heater core during radiator change - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How to flush heater core during radiator change

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-19-2013, 08:37 AM   #1
ckarmis
1998 TJ Wrangler 

How to flush heater core during radiator change

Can anyone answer the following questions:

1. Exactly how do you flush the heater core while changing out the radiator and thermostat. I've seen a few different posts but not sure which hoses to run the water hose through. Particuarly when I have the radiator disconnected and the thermostat removed. Any pictures to clarify would be helpful.

2. If I replaced the origainal radiator with a new mopar one, should I be using zerex G-05 or just the regular green stuff? I've also seen a few conflicing posts.

3. My current radiator cap is rated at 20#, but everythhing I read online says it should be 18#, so I'm replacing with an 18# one. Doest that sound right?

Thanks.

ckarmis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2013, 10:09 AM   #2
ckarmis
1998 TJ Wrangler 

For a 98 TJ

Also, to clarify point #2, I have a 98 TJ 6cyl. So I think the manuf recommendations call for the green stuff, but people recommend the zerex. Although I'm not sure if that's only for newer models, or applies to a 98 as well. All that said, I"m replacing the radiator with a new mopar one.
Unread 01-19-2013, 10:48 AM   #3
Sandhara
1999 TJ Wrangler 

just run the green stuff, it works just fine.

Im sorry, some times i drink and post stupid comments.
Sandhara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2013, 11:16 AM   #4
oakmckinley
1999 TJ Wrangler 

The thinner black hoses go to the heater core. Remove the hoses from thermo housing and other, and then flush water in one side, and then switch and flush into the other side (have the hose on pretty high, yes you'll get sprayed).
You should be good flushing both ways. I don't recommend putting anything in there, CLR etc. just use water.

If you are getting a radiator from mopar, ask them, if you not sure what coolant to use. I got my radiator from the dealer too, and was able to haggle on the price. It is much better one than after an market, IMO.
Good luck.
1964 Ford Fairlane 500
oakmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2013, 11:58 AM   #5
LastDetail
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Good write up right here with some good pictures.
Helped me to do it right the first time and I'm a moron.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/he...hotos-1266369/
Unread 01-19-2013, 10:31 PM   #6
ckarmis
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Mission Accomplished

Thanks for the feedback. Mission accomplished. Only snag was wermopar.com sent me the wrong lower radiator hose. But the old one was in good shape so I cleaned it up and put it back on.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.