How to flush coolant - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How to flush coolant

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 05-05-2007, 07:18 PM   #1
JeeperAbe

How to flush coolant

How do i flush and refill my coolant? I over heated this morning and come to find out there is a small peckock valve on the bottom and somehow it was open. Coolant everywhere on the raod....so i closed it and filled her up with water to test and see if i had a leak somewhere else or if it leaked anymore. Well it doesn't and im going to take a closer look at the valve but how do i drain the water out. And put new coolant in. What kind? How much? is it 50/50? I really dont know what im doing when it comes to the cooling system. Thanks!

Unread 05-05-2007, 07:28 PM   #2
robncar
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Well, sorry to say, you've found the radiator drain. There is another drain on the block back by the exhaust. A 50/50 mix of coolant to distilled water is fine. Get a coolant that plays well with aluminum. Straight coolant in your reservoir, no water. You should be fine, good luck.
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2007, 07:33 PM   #3
JeeperAbe

Thanks...how to i purge the system of air...? Let it run with cap off for a little bit?
Unread 05-05-2007, 07:36 PM   #4
robncar
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Sure, why not. I've also "pulsed" the hoses a little by squeezing them and releasing. Just be carefull of the fan and anything that is rotating. The thermostat will usually have an air bleed on it (internal) that will help you eliminate air before it opens due to temperature upon warm up.

By the way, you may be able to get the coolant "pre-diluted" with de-mineralized water. Time saver if distilled water is hard to find.
Unread 05-05-2007, 07:43 PM   #5
JeeperAbe

where might i be able to get it pre-dilluted?? Do you have maybe an idea where?
Unread 05-05-2007, 07:52 PM   #6
robncar
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperAbe
where might i be able to get it pre-dilluted?? Do you have maybe an idea where?
I'm sure there are others but Prestone sells it pre-diluted, it's called "Prestone 50/50". Try:

Advance
Aid Auto
AutoZone
Bi-Lo
Brunos
Checker / Schuck's / Kragen
Coolants Plus
Food City
Harris Teeter
Kmart
Lowes Food
Meijer
Murray's Discount Auto
O'Reillys
Parks
Pep Boys
Piggy Wiggly
Service Auto Parts
Strauss Discount Auto
Wal-Mart

...no, I didn't make up this list, or know it off hand, I copied it from the Prestone site.
Unread 05-05-2007, 07:58 PM   #7
JeeperAbe

haha ....Thanks very much you sig pictures is pretty cool..Love red jeep!
Unread 05-05-2007, 08:00 PM   #8
BORY
TJ Wrangler 

stick a hose in the filler neck and open the plugs in the block and let it clean the system it works good.
BORY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2007, 08:04 PM   #9
JeeperAbe

How much antifreeze do i need? Two Bottles? 3 bottles? there a gallon each in think,
Unread 05-05-2007, 08:09 PM   #10
robncar
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Should be 9 quarts for the 4 cylinder total + some for the resevoir. 10.5 quarts for the 6 cylinder. Looks like you'll need to buy 3 gallons if you go with the 50/50 pre-mix!
Unread 05-05-2007, 08:12 PM   #11
JeeperAbe

Thank you so much....Looks like got a project for tomarrow.
Unread 05-05-2007, 09:12 PM   #12
cheesycook
Accident Prone Bonehead

I picked up one of those cheap Prestone flush and fill kits at Autozone. It worked great for really getting all the old stuff out......and watering my lawn at the same time. They are cheap and easy to use. Rinse out your resevoir while you are at it. I removed mine, filled it halfway with water, dish soap and a little sand. Shook it up and rinsed it really good. Got it back to the point where you can see through it again.
98 TJ 4.0 Stick 30 Lock-Right/44 True-Track,4.56. Fire RED. Optima Red top. 3" Full Traction lift, Cragar 352 Street locks w/3.75 BS. 32" BFG AT's. Sailcloth top. Classic4x4 tubular fenders. AtoZ Fab rockers and front and rear bumpers. TBT sportsbar and rear spreader. VDP 6 speaker bar. 2K Intake Manifold. Tuffy Speaker lock boxes. Power inverter. Cobra CB. Magellan GPS. Bed lined tub. 3core HD radiator. Olds airbox with Hummer snokle. Besttop seat covers with heaters. All running lights LED.Steering and oil pan skids. Mile Marker PE8000 winch. Currie Anti-Rock. Olympic trunk. Tuffy Console....and Buddha on the winch. :) And a child seat stained with mud.
Hermiston, ORL

AtoZ Where Zach makes me toys!
Stu-Offroad, because I don't have a clue, but Stu does!
cheesycook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2007, 09:16 PM   #13
TJ_Firefighter

prestone also sells a flush kit....it works really good actually....you just cut one of the heater hoses and install a fitting that will hook up to a garden hose...turn hose on....and flush away
33x12.50 Dunlop RV
[B][COLOR="Wheat"]Kahki Jeep Club Member #42[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR="White"][B] U.[COLOR="Orange"]S.C.G[COLOR="White"]. J[COLOR="Blue"]ee[COLOR="White"]p Club Member #1[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR="Red"][B]Firefighting Jeep #2[/B][/COLOR]
Soon to come: HomeFab Rockers
TJ_Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2007, 09:18 PM   #14
cheesycook
Accident Prone Bonehead

TJ_Firefighter, beat you to it. I am a firefighter in training.....so I am over-eager!
98 TJ 4.0 Stick 30 Lock-Right/44 True-Track,4.56. Fire RED. Optima Red top. 3" Full Traction lift, Cragar 352 Street locks w/3.75 BS. 32" BFG AT's. Sailcloth top. Classic4x4 tubular fenders. AtoZ Fab rockers and front and rear bumpers. TBT sportsbar and rear spreader. VDP 6 speaker bar. 2K Intake Manifold. Tuffy Speaker lock boxes. Power inverter. Cobra CB. Magellan GPS. Bed lined tub. 3core HD radiator. Olds airbox with Hummer snokle. Besttop seat covers with heaters. All running lights LED.Steering and oil pan skids. Mile Marker PE8000 winch. Currie Anti-Rock. Olympic trunk. Tuffy Console....and Buddha on the winch. :) And a child seat stained with mud.
Hermiston, ORL

AtoZ Where Zach makes me toys!
Stu-Offroad, because I don't have a clue, but Stu does!
cheesycook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2007, 09:23 PM   #15
TJ_Firefighter

grrrrr......thats cool man, just remember "When all others run away, firefighters run in."
33x12.50 Dunlop RV
[B][COLOR="Wheat"]Kahki Jeep Club Member #42[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR="White"][B] U.[COLOR="Orange"]S.C.G[COLOR="White"]. J[COLOR="Blue"]ee[COLOR="White"]p Club Member #1[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR="Red"][B]Firefighting Jeep #2[/B][/COLOR]
Soon to come: HomeFab Rockers
TJ_Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.