How Fast is too Fast in 4-wheel drive? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How Fast is too Fast in 4-wheel drive?

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-06-2007, 04:21 PM   #1
rfoster458
2004 TJ Wrangler 

How Fast is too Fast in 4-wheel drive?

Just a quick question. My wife is driving my 04' TJ that has the automatic overdrive because of bad weather (finally some snow to play in!). She has some highway driving where the road is clear and she doesn't need to be in 4-wheel, except that her driving to get to that point, the road is bad. So she can't really stop to take it out of 4-wheel because she needs it when she gets off of the highway as well. Anyway, let me get to the point. How fast is too fast to drive our 6 cyl. 4 speed auto when it is on the highway and it's in 4-high?

Thanks!

2004 Sport automatic, Moab wheels with 265's, 2.5" spring lift, quick discos, and etc. More to come over time...
rfoster458 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2007, 04:24 PM   #2
BadAddetude
1995 YJ Wrangler 

They say 40 mph, but the way it should be viewed, if you have to have it in 4wd, then you shouldn't be going faster than 25-35 mph. 4wd keeps you in a strait line and gets you going, it doesnt stop it.
1995 YJ: 4.0, 700R4, 231 C/J case, TeraFlex SS SYE/CV shaft, 8.8 with 3.73 gears, 136 Amp Alternator, Trans Cooler, Pavement Ends Flip-top/H-T, 2'' BDS Suspension Lift, MORE 5/8' Greasables, Sony GT-210 Xplode Head.

Under the Knife! See the build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/badaddetudes-build-project-hrp-602142/
BadAddetude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2007, 04:33 PM   #3
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAddetude
They say 40 mph, but the way it should be viewed, if you have to have it in 4wd, then you shouldn't be going faster than 25-35 mph. 4wd keeps you in a strait line and gets you going, it doesnt stop it.
Who says 40 mph in 4HI? Check the owner's manual and follow it.
Unread 12-06-2007, 04:34 PM   #4
03silversport
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have always heard 55 mph.
03silversport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2007, 04:36 PM   #5
DBLJ
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

If you need it then you shouldnt be going fast.
Unread 12-06-2007, 04:38 PM   #6
rfoster458
2004 TJ Wrangler 

She doesn't need it on the highway, but needs when she exits. The exits are crap and don't get plowed. And I don't have a manual to refer to unfortunately.

2004 Sport automatic, Moab wheels with 265's, 2.5" spring lift, quick discos, and etc. More to come over time...
Unread 12-06-2007, 04:40 PM   #7
ChiliPalmer
This is Ames Mister...

1992 XJ Cherokee 

I would recommend that she only drive as fast as she feels comfortable with; And she doens't have to stop to take it out of 4wd - the 231 is a shift on the fly TC. I believe the manual says up to 55 mph. So when she gets to the good part of the road all she has to do is push the TC handle forward and she's good to go...

Need a server? Buy this one!

COTM - October 2012!

If you want to help the sport of offroading visit the EnviroBeat Forum!

Blue Ribbon Coalition | Idaho State 4x4 Association | UFWDA | NAXJA | The KAT Team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
Oh man Chili. I feel like a recovering addict that just had a bag of blow, a bottle of Jameson, and a sack dropped in his lap. You screwed me man!
ChiliPalmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2007, 04:41 PM   #8
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfoster458
...she can't really stop to take it out of 4-wheel because she needs it when she gets off of the highway as well...
You don't have to stop the shift between 2Hi and 4Hi. It is an "on the fly" shift. Depending on the year model the manual may say you can make the shift at speeds up to 55 mph or "at any legal speed".
Quote:
They say 40 mph,...
Who is "they"? I've not seen this anywhere.
Quote:
...if you have to have it in 4wd, then you shouldn't be going faster than 25-35 mph. 4wd keeps you in a strait line and gets you going, it doesnt stop it.
I do pretty much agree with this part. If you need to be in 4Hi because of road conditions your speed should be pretty low.

If you are in road conditions that require you to be shifting in and out of 4Hi on a regular basis your speed should be fairly low. If you are hitting ice/snow patched that require you to be shifting into 4Hi, what are you doing? Driving in 2Hi at 50+ and then slamming into 4Lo and slowing down when you hit the ice/snow? What happens when you don't see it in time because of a hill or curve?
mdm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2007, 04:42 PM   #9
rfoster458
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome, thanks! I know the 231 is a shift of the fly TC, but I've always been scared of doing that since I'm used to my old Jeep. Thanks for the info though!

Unread 12-06-2007, 04:43 PM   #10
Crashnburn80
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili Palmer
I would recommend that she only drive as fast as she feels comfortable with; And she doens't have to stop to take it out of 4wd - the 231 is a shift on the fly TC. I believe the manual says up to 55 mph. So when she gets to the good part of the road all she has to do is push the TC handle forward and she's good to go...

Exactly.

OME ZJ/LJ combo | SwayLOC | 1.25" BL | Nth TT | Riddler diff covers | EMP gastank skid | 33" MTRs | Warn M8000 | Cobra75
and much more...

Riddler torture test video
Oil Filter Study
Useful Axle Info Thread
Crashnburn80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2007, 04:46 PM   #11
Brian P

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
How fast is too fast to drive our 6 cyl. 4 speed auto when it is on the highway and it's in 4-high?

Thanks!
Short answer... 0 mph! The 4-wheel drive system in our TJ's need slippage when in 4wd. You do NOT have to stop to go into or out of 4HI. You can go from 2HI to 4HI and back at any legal speed. You do not have to be in nutral either, just let up a little on the gas and pull the lever up to 4HI or down to 2HI.

Brian Phillips
05 Unlimited
Unread 12-06-2007, 04:48 PM   #12
rfoster458
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The highway is completely clear of snow and ice, but the side roads are not. There are people flying by her going like 80 and she asked me how fast she could go while in 4-wheel. I thought 55, but I wasn't for sure, so I thought I would ask. Yes, I understand that if it needs to be in 4-wheel then you shouldn't be going that fast, but humor me here. Thanks for all the input. And why does our 4-wheel need slippage?

Unread 12-06-2007, 04:51 PM   #13
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian P
Short answer... 0 mph! The 4-wheel drive system in our TJ's need slippage when in 4wd...
Longer question - How far can you drive in 4Hi on pavement before you do damage to the drive train?
mdm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2007, 04:52 PM   #14
rfoster458
2004 TJ Wrangler 

That's a good question mdm. I am curious to know that and to know why the TJ needs slippage?

Unread 12-06-2007, 04:53 PM   #15
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
The highway is completely clear of snow and ice, but the side roads are not. There are people flying by her going like 80 and she asked me how fast she could go while in 4-wheel. I thought 55, but I wasn't for sure, so I thought I would ask. Yes, I understand that if it needs to be in 4-wheel then you shouldn't be going that fast, but humor me here. Thanks for all the input. And why does our 4-wheel need slippage?
it locks the front and rear axles going the same speed, if there is any difference in rotation from the front to the back, all that energy is bound up in the transfer case, if the tires cant slip to release that, then boom, there goes your t-case.

its part time 4wd for a reason, not meant to be used on dry roads.

maybe you should get your wife a grand cherokee, with all-wheel drive.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.