How fast can I go in 4WD Hi?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How fast can I go in 4WD Hi??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 04-20-2004, 04:38 PM   #1
gsdz28
1993 YJ Wrangler 

How fast can I go in 4WD Hi??

How fast and how long can I safely go in 4Wd high???

like if it's raining pretty hard outside does that make a difference?? someone told me the water splashing on the rear end/transfer case would help keep it cool.

and i don't have a owners manual

Unread 04-20-2004, 04:42 PM   #2
chris06

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdz28
How fast and how long can I safely go in 4Wd high???

like if it's raining pretty hard outside does that make a difference?? someone told me the water splashing on the rear end/transfer case would help keep it cool.

and i don't have a owners manual
55mph
2wd will be fine in rain.
[URL=http://www.jeeperman.com]Jeeperman bumper/tire carrier[/URL]
[URL=http://www.t-maxwinches.com]T-MAX 9500 winch [/URL]
[URL=http://www.aev-conversions.com]AEV-Conversions' Rockers[/URL]
[U]Toys X Troy Croners
LED's[/U]

[URL=http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/667736/1]MY JEEP[/URL]
[URL=http://photobucket.com/albums/v242/cmmg94/]More pictures[/URL]
chris06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2004, 04:52 PM   #3
gsdz28
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris06
55mph
2wd will be fine in rain.
actually i have been having a bad time slipping and sliding and the tires are brand new!
Unread 04-20-2004, 05:01 PM   #4
MFairbourn

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdz28
actually i have been having a bad time slipping and sliding and the tires are brand new!
It is actually normal for tires to slide a little in the rain when they are brand new. Tires need to be scuffed a little before you get full traction on them..
MFairbourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2004, 06:11 PM   #5
bj-666

0 mph is good if you go any faster on pavment you can hurt the t-case if you have select track it is no prob but comand track is. the problem is that the front and rear tires move at different speeds when turning and you bind the gears/belt in the t-case if you have comand track. if there is snow or ice it is a different.

o i sound kinda stupid saying this but i might have the comand and select track mixed up

(edit) hahah somehow i am in the tj forum u guys might have different t-cases. sory no clue how i got in here o well
6" full traction, Q78's, 8.8 ECTED locker,Rocky-Road rock rails, proto fab front bumper, ramsey 8.5e, HPd44 ARB front, OBA, Quick disconects
bj-666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2004, 06:15 PM   #6
JeepN2

Owners manual says 55 I do beleive. I've had mine up to 75 a few times when I forgot to shift out of 4wd high. It wont damage anything but will increase the wear since it cant slip like on ice or snow. What tires do you have? You shouldnt be getting that much slipping in rain that 4wd high is needed.

Happy JeepN
07 Blue Compass 4x4
JeepN2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2004, 06:36 PM   #7
04JeepTJ
2010 JK Wrangler 

I got the "welcome kit" from Jeep a few weeks ago. In it is the Winter edition of the Jeep owner's magazin as well as a 10 page leaflet called "Living The Jeep Life" which contains among other things, "Trail Rated/4WD Tips".

There's a chart regarding the different 4wd systems and what surfaces you'd use them for.

For CommandTrac (TJ), RockTrac (Rubi only) and SelecTrac (XJ+) it says you can use 4H in **Wet Pavement**, Gravel, or Snow.
Unread 04-20-2004, 06:39 PM   #8
ctavel
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'm going to have to disagree--Unless DC started something new, all TJ's come with the NP231, which is a part time unit. So you should not drive it on pavement unless you really want to blow your Tcase apart. The reasoning is that when in $WD a part time unit basically locks the front and rear driveshafts together. Which equates to them spinning at the same speed period. When cornering your inside tires will turn slower than the outside and cause a difference in speeds of axle shafts which will in turn either blow a diff or shoot up into the Tcase. I don't want to sound belittling or condesending but I really would not want anyone blowing their TCase apart.
ctavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2004, 06:56 PM   #9
kadmos
1998 TJ Wrangler 

SO, what kind of tires are they?
kadmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2004, 07:00 PM   #10
AudioGuru

The tj owners manual says that you can shift into or out of 4wd hi at any legal speed. So, I guess you can take it up to 65-70mph.

[COLOR=White]Don't lie. God said so.[/COLOR]
AudioGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2004, 07:09 PM   #11
04JeepTJ
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctavel
I'm going to have to disagree--Unless DC started something new, all TJ's come with the NP231, which is a part time unit. So you should not drive it on pavement unless you really want to blow your Tcase apart. The reasoning is that when in $WD a part time unit basically locks the front and rear driveshafts together. Which equates to them spinning at the same speed period. When cornering your inside tires will turn slower than the outside and cause a difference in speeds of axle shafts which will in turn either blow a diff or shoot up into the Tcase. I don't want to sound belittling or condesending but I really would not want anyone blowing their TCase apart.
Yeah, I know how it works.. I'm just writing what it says - not that I believe them. Don't shoot the messenger..
Unread 04-20-2004, 10:43 PM   #12
PrfctAggression
Web Wheeler

If you can safely do 55 with 4wd engaged, you don't need 4wd. All 4wd does is to help you to get going. It doesn't do a damn thing for stopping or turning. In fact, skids are easier to recover in 2wd than in 4wd.

Also, rain on paved roads does not provide sufficient slippage to prevent damage to the t-case. You can use it when taking off from a red light or tollbooth or whatever, but once you're moving, put it back into 2wd. Continuous driving will cause windup and damage. Even in the snow, I rarely keep it in 4hi. I'll use it to get going, then shift back to 2hi.
[COLOR=yellow]Yellow Jeep Club and Redneck Jeep Club member #666 [/COLOR]
PrfctAggression is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2004, 04:21 AM   #13
wile_e_mopar
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrfctAggression
If you can safely do 55 with 4wd engaged, you don't need 4wd. All 4wd does is to help you to get going. It doesn't do a damn thing for stopping or turning. In fact, skids are easier to recover in 2wd than in 4wd.

Also, rain on paved roads does not provide sufficient slippage to prevent damage to the t-case. You can use it when taking off from a red light or tollbooth or whatever, but once you're moving, put it back into 2wd. Continuous driving will cause windup and damage. Even in the snow, I rarely keep it in 4hi. I'll use it to get going, then shift back to 2hi.
I agree, if you feel you can go 55 in 4WD, then you should have it in 2WD. If it is raining hard enough for you to slip and slide, SLOW DOWN. You may be more comfortable in 4WD so you think you can go faster, but your brakes still work the same as any car out there, you always have 4 wheel stop, 4WD does not make you stop faster. Sorry about the rant, little rage left over last winter from a Bronco totaling my neon and the kid telling me it was my fault because I wasn't going fast enough when I decided to stop for the tree that fell out of the truck in front of me. Direct quote to the officer and me.
"I had it in 4WD, he's only got front wheel drive, I can go faster in the snow. That is why he was able to stop and I wasn't."
This made the officer laugh, but it wasn't funny enough to make up for him totalling my car, its OK now cause my SRT-4 rocks
wile_e_mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2004, 06:46 AM   #14
airduds

Driving in 4wd on a hard surface is not going to make anything explode. It will accelerate wear on the tires and to a lesser extent on the transfer case and differentials.
airduds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2004, 09:01 AM   #15
audie

Actually the U-joints are likely to go first, they're the weak link. Driving with 4 wheel engaged on hard surfaces puts a lot of stress on the drivetrain. As for wet, rainy roads, I just slow down.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.