How far can i go with the low fuel light on? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How far can i go with the low fuel light on?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 07-25-2006, 08:15 PM   #1
ryansser

How far can i go with the low fuel light on?

hey everyone... new here... just a quick question...

Well, its obvious how Jeeps like to drink(not sip) fuel. I was just wondering how far everyone has gone once the low fuel indicator comes on. BTW its an 06 sport with a 4.0 and 6 speed. The last tank i filled, i only got 253 miles out of the tank before the light came on. part of that is due to the fact that my girlfreind sucks at driving and its her jeep. she is usually the one driving and she drives almost no highway miles. Shes always worried about being stranded as soon as the light comes on and doesnt believe me when i tell her that means the tank is getting low, not that you have like 2 minutes to get to a gas station. id just like to hear a ballaprk of how many more miles you can squeeze out of a tank before you have to fill up again. thanks.

FYI... im the lucky one that drives the mazda that can still drive at least 60 miles before the tank is empty.

ryansser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2006, 08:27 PM   #2
Rubi-Doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansser
How far can i go with the low fuel light on?
Until the tank runs empty

J/K but mine I have filled mine up a couple times right after the light came on and each time could only get 16 gallons in it. Since it has a 19 gallon tank I am guessing you could go about 40 miles after the light comes on. I know I have went 36, but that is as far as I have pushed it.
Rubi-Doo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2006, 08:28 PM   #3
pballer32

If my light ever turns on I get to the absolute nearest gas station. Mine seems like it got me a whole mile one time and then it started to sputter. Now I always try to avoid letting it get that low.
pballer32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2006, 08:28 PM   #4
Rocky529
Jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I believe it is a known fact that there are 3 gallons left when the light comes on... give or take a bit. You can probably go another 45-55 miles with the light on.

Silver Metallic finish with black dual tops - Dana 44 Rear
2.25" Suspension Lift with Old Man Emu Shocks
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers - 32"x11.5" MT/R Tires
Rocky529 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2006, 08:32 PM   #5
adam728
2001 TJ Wrangler 

My light is very inconsistant. Sometimes it will come on and I put in as little as 13.5 gallons. Other times it will come on and I get 16.5-17 gallons in it.

One day it came on while driving home from work. I parked and figured I'll get gas in the morning. Next day I started it up, no light. Drove about 45 miles before the light even came back on.
Sienna Jeep Club - Member #8
Plans and pics, put an 8" sub in your TJ center console
adam728 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2006, 10:55 PM   #6
TNixon06TJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I may be mistaken...(wouldn't be the first time)...but I think the manual says there are 2 gallons left when the light comes on....so based on Jeep gas mileage you should have 3 miles to go before you run out!
TNixon06TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2006, 11:18 PM   #7
igofshn
Locked @ both ends

Mine has 5 gallons when my light comes on.

[Jeep Pics
igofshn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2006, 11:21 PM   #8
tplochar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNixon06TJ
I may be mistaken...(wouldn't be the first time)...but I think the manual says there are 2 gallons left when the light comes on....so based on Jeep gas mileage you should have 3 miles to go before you run out!
2 gallons is the official word from Jeep, although its more like 3 to 3.5
33x10.50 BFG A/T on 15x8 Blacked Out Cragars
A to Z Fabrication Rockers
K & N Intake
tplochar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2006, 11:26 PM   #9
jmreagan
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have drove close to 50 miles on mine from the time the light came on.
03' Sport, 4.0L, 3.73, 5 speed, D44/D30, 3 inch coil/shock lift, RE track bar, Tera disco's, 35x12.50's Dunlap Mud Rovers MT's, Spidertrax spacers, Viper 5000 alarm, Tuffy console, LOD extreme bumper/tire carrier and front bumper, A-Z rockers, AA SYE, Tom Woods DS, JKS Rear UCA's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKiowaTJ
Sorry master, Dont whips me, I's do betta next time..
jmreagan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2006, 11:27 PM   #10
woody-77
Vulcan FTW

2007 FSJ Cherokee 

I ran out of gas at 39 miles of the gas light being on in my Rubicon....but it was mostly up hill.

Quote:
Thread deleted by Jerry Bransford
Reason: This was beyond human decency... posting about someone's girlfriend is ****ed up.
woody-77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2006, 11:28 PM   #11
exc911ence

I've gone 100kms after the light came on and still didn't run out. The light is notorious for coming on way early.
exc911ence is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2006, 11:34 PM   #12
Poseidon17

I am only posting here because tonight TBS aired that Seinfeld episode where Kramer and the car dealer run the tank of a car bone dry to see how far they could get. I just thought it was funny someone started this thread after I had watched it.
Unread 07-25-2006, 11:35 PM   #13
woody-77
Vulcan FTW

2007 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon17

I am only posting here because tonight TBS aired that Seinfeld episode where Kramer and the car dealer run the tank of a car bone dry to see how far they could get. I just thought it was funny someone started this thread after I had watched it.

That is a funny episode...unfortunately they were in a Saab 9-3......

Quote:
Thread deleted by Jerry Bransford
Reason: This was beyond human decency... posting about someone's girlfriend is ****ed up.
woody-77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2006, 10:17 AM   #14
Jeepin' Rock Cl
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by igofshn
Mine has 5 gallons when my light comes on.
Mine has a hair more than that. Seems like the light goes on with just under 6 gallons left (it's the 1/3 of a tank light for me); when it gets to the E line it still has about 3 gallons in it.

"Only" 253 miles before the light turns on is really good BTW.
Jeepin' Rock Cl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2006, 10:22 AM   #15
BChamberlin
Web Wheeler

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam728
My light is very inconsistant. Sometimes it will come on and I put in as little as 13.5 gallons. Other times it will come on and I get 16.5-17 gallons in it.

One day it came on while driving home from work. I parked and figured I'll get gas in the morning. Next day I started it up, no light. Drove about 45 miles before the light even came back on.

I got over 19 in mine once.. not sure how I did it. I sat there for like 10 minutes doing the trickle thing. I'm not sure if the station pump was off or what but I managed to squeeze in something like 19.25 before it came spilling out. Normally I can get almost 16 or so..and that's after driving with the lite on. I swear I'm going to carry a can of gas and let it run dry once just for poops and giggles.
BChamberlin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.