How to eliminate smells from the Jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How to eliminate smells from the Jeep

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Jeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs andBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Ki

Unread 01-06-2009, 05:10 PM   #1
MB98XJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

How to eliminate smells from the Jeep

My Jeep smells bad.
I've pulled the all the carpets and pressure washed and used professional carpet cleaner and used laundry detergant on them. I also keep my Jeep empty and vaccumed at all time. The odor makes the Jeep smell musty and bad. I'm guessing the previous owner smoked or something, so I'm thinking that the smoke went up into my soft top. I hope to fix that problem soon by replacing with a hard top. What do you guys do to keep your Jeep smelling good. I'm tired of getting into my perfectly clean Jeep and it smelling bad. It smells like body odor and people complain when they get in. How to I clean the seats or the inside of the soft top?

How do you keep your Jeep smelling good and how can I resolve my issue?

Thanks

JEEP CHEROKEE LIMITED 1999 BLACK LEATHER INTERIOR 4X4
MB98XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2009, 05:22 PM   #2
bddisi
1997 TJ Wrangler 

When it gets warmer, take the top off completely and wash the inside the same as you would the outside. Let dry, reinstall. As for the seats, if they are a cloth like material, dont be scared, take them out of the jeep and wash them in a simular fashon, take a shop vac or wet vac and extract what you can, after rinsing. Let dry, reinstall. Use a laundry like detergant or something like Woolite. Same for the carpet, go over lightly with press washer if you have access to one. Good luck.
Unread 01-06-2009, 05:26 PM   #3
Genericusername
2002 WJ 

haha like the seinfeld episode, whats that smell... B.O.

seriously though it might be the seats or something in the a/c
by the thing that spins when you drive underneath
Genericusername is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2009, 05:35 PM   #4
MB98XJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Yes I have cloth seats. How complicated is removal of the seats? I know the backseat is fairly simple. How should I soap them? Spray them? Don't want to ruin them you know...

Unread 01-06-2009, 05:36 PM   #5
vtx531
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I like fabreeze and those pinetree air fresheners. The pine trees are quite potent. The cherry version is good too but its a jeep so you gotta go for pine.

MY JEEP
vtx531 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2009, 05:37 PM   #6
MB98XJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I've used Fabreeze and Odor Eliminator sprays all over the seats, carpet, and I soaked the inside of the soft top with it. Still that smell...

Unread 01-06-2009, 05:37 PM   #7
madmax79
I'm Old Gregg!

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Febreeze it!

Early YJ Club, Member #1, Check out our group: Early YJ Club

Quote:
Epic adventures usually start with something like: "I was looking at a topo map..."
www.matanzasjeepclub.com
madmax79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2009, 05:41 PM   #8
BlaketheSnake

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quit farting with the doors on
Unread 01-06-2009, 05:53 PM   #9
bddisi
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB98XJ View Post
Yes I have cloth seats. How complicated is removal of the seats? I know the backseat is fairly simple. How should I soap them? Spray them? Don't want to ruin them you know...
Slightly wet them, then spray them down with a upholestry, or carpet cleaning solution. Woolite will also works. The main thing is not to use anything with bleach and rinse well, very well. You want them to dry evenly. No soapy spots left here or there. Extract them until you can tell there is nothing comming from them. Then wipe down with a clean towel. Let them air dry. Then if you feel you need air freshener, this will be the time to do this.
Unread 01-06-2009, 06:02 PM   #10
Dmcastino
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB98XJ View Post
Taking out the seat just requires removing the four bolts that bolt them to the floor. Super easy. Although if I remember right, to get at the ones in the rear, you have to tilt the seat forward and then flip back these little plastic covers to see them, again though its really easy.

All this is unnecessary though, you live in Georgia, pull the carpet, top, and doors off and run like that year round and enjoy the fresh air smell
Dmcastino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2009, 06:14 PM   #11
RiponredTJ
Happy Member No. 1

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaketheSnake View Post
Quit farting with the doors on
And stop leaving rusty nails on your seats.
Maybe you want to look at your ventilation system and clean it out.
Unread 01-06-2009, 06:34 PM   #12
BomberJeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddisi View Post
Slightly wet them, then spray them down with a upholestry, or carpet cleaning solution. Woolite will also works. The main thing is not to use anything with bleach and rinse well, very well. You want them to dry evenly. No soapy spots left here or there. Extract them until you can tell there is nothing comming from them. Then wipe down with a clean towel. Let them air dry. Then if you feel you need air freshener, this will be the time to do this.
Also wipe down everything in the interior with a mild soap

Never get between a man and his Jeep - Stacey David.

03 Jeep TJ

/l ,[_____],
l---L -OlllllllO-

()_)-()_)--o-)_)

98 Jeep XJ

_(o)_)--(o)_)----)_)
BomberJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2009, 06:46 PM   #13
MB98XJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

How do I look in my ventilation system easily

Unread 01-06-2009, 06:53 PM   #14
spokanistan
1998 TJ Wrangler 

If the smell is still around come summer time then "bake" it out. Park your jeep in direct sunlight, top up, doors on, and just one window cracked open a little bit and let it sit there and bake and it will kinda burn out any smells.

I know it sounds odd but the above has proven itself to me.
Unread 01-06-2009, 06:57 PM   #15
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Odor is bacteria.... if it was summer I would say take your carpets out and let them sit in the sun for a day or two. The UV of the sun will kill bacterial. Since it is winter I would spray Fabreez or Oust Spray on the seats and carpet. Try to do on nice warm sunny day so it does not stay wet long.

Walmart also sells Ozium Spray in the auto section. Ozium kills smoke smell almost instantly. I would spray a good amount in back, under seats in the air and button up the jeep. Repeat 1 hr later. When spraying the Ozium try to hold your breath. Good for the fireplace backs up with smoke and stuff like that. Good stuff...

Ck your cowl hole infront of windshield. Debree, leaves, seeds fall in there and can decay and cause smells... this is where your fresh air for vent and heater come from. Do you park under a tree???? that can add odors too. Do you park outside that means more moisture.

I would also ck for leaks in the top. Smell means mold and mold needs moisture to grow.

Hope that helps,
Fred
Fjguercio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.