how do you replace/check your ignition switch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > how do you replace/check your ignition switch

LOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, YuRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!

Unread 12-09-2008, 05:22 PM   #1
jeeper81

how do you replace/check your ignition switch

my 2000 jeep wont start. batt, relay and starter are fine i can jump the relay and it will start but when i try to start it with the key i get nothing. there is no power going from the ignition switch to the relay or there in no power going from the batt to the ignition switch. i know the ignition switch wire from the fuse block back to the under the dash is yellow with a red stripe. i have followed that back from the fuse box to under the dash but can anyone tell me how to test further? thanks for the help

jeeper81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2008, 05:34 PM   #2
jeepdavetj
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Neutral saftey switch. Try puttin it in neutral. Just a thought.

[B][I]Ash from Army of Darkness[/I][/B][QUOTE]Alright you Primitive Screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?[/QUOTE]
jeepdavetj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2008, 05:40 PM   #3
jeeper81

thanks for the input i forgot to put its a stick and i check the clutch switch and its working fine.
jeeper81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2008, 09:27 PM   #4
UTWeezul
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'm gonna have to do it myself. I don't know how to check it, but to replace it you will need to take the panels off under the steering column. Then the bottom of the steering column can come off. It is held on by some screws. Before it will come off, put your key in the ignition and turn it to the Run position. You will need something skinny to push into the hole on the bottom steering column panel and that will let the key cylinder slide out. Then you can finish taking that panel off. You will see the ignition switch under there. It is held on with tamper proof torx screws. I don't know what size though. Mine has been going in and out for a while now but when we looked at it the plug was loose. It has been about a month since it hasn't started. This isn't the best write-up as it was late at night in a semi-dark garage when we looked at it, but hopefully it will help you out some.
HP30 and 8.8 w/ lockers
UTWeezul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2008, 09:26 AM   #5
cincytj

i just changed mine. it was backordered so make sure you can get one before you pull yours apart. they are only $16 new.

mine would start if I turned the key a whole bunch of times until it finally cranked. I assume dirty connectors internal to the switch,. new one works fine

as far as changing the switch im sure theres a proper way. but heres how it went for me.

disconnect battery positive and ground positive terminal

remove 4 screws from bottom plastic cover and remove bottom then top column covers

remove 2 screws from the top of turn signal cluster, you will need a hollow torx and raise it up so you can get to the switch screw

remove one screw from ignition switch (different size hollow torx)

unplug ignition switch

pull ignition switch out toward the driver door, it snaps so it takes a little force

heres where it was tricky for me.

the new switch is set to the off position, you cant install it in the run position.

there is a white plastic rod inside of the column rod that you need to line up in the new switch then snap it in place and reassemble.

I removed the lock cylinder when I did mine and with the lock cylinder removed I moved it to off position and installed the switch, but you cant put the lock cylinder back on in the run position so I reached in with a 3/8 extension and turned the lock to run and reinserted the cylinder.

I think it is meant to be replaced in the off position so I would try that first.
knoblock rear bumper, OBA in process,
bestop tire carrier, 35-12.5-16 trXus MT's on MOABs with 1.25 spidertrax
Currie HD steering
Nth Degree 6" LA kit. Garvin Wilderness Rack w/hi-lift mnt
HEMI & 5spd Auto
cincytj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.