How do you know whitch one is bad, Master Cylinder or Slave Cylinder? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How do you know whitch one is bad, Master Cylinder or Slave Cylinder?

The Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 07-31-2008, 10:13 AM   #1
Morgan_TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

How do you know whitch one is bad, Master Cylinder or Slave Cylinder?

97 TJ, my clutch will not disengage when you push it to the floor. the pedal still has some resistance when you push it down but you can feel it still trying to pull. Does this sound like I am on the right track with the master or slave cylinder or could this be something else? I don't see any leaks around the master or the slave and i don't seem to be losing any fluid from the master reservoir.

Morgan_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2008, 10:31 AM   #2
ArrizX
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Well dont quote me on this but the clutch works off the brake master right? So, if your brakes still work with out pumping them up then my process of elimination the slave cylinder has to be it.

That or something else, but i'm not sure what it could be. Very possibly a bad throw out bearing inside the tranny. Kinda an important little bugger.
ArrizX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2008, 11:13 AM   #3
kloppk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrizX View Post
Well dont quote me on this but the clutch works off the brake master right? ...
Negative.
They are completely seperate systems.

The problem is likely a bad clutch master cylinder or possibly a bad throwout bearing.
kloppk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2008, 11:21 AM   #4
Bill_Dunnigan
2005 LJ Wrangler 

brakes have nothing to do with the clutch
2008 KK - Wife's Grocery Getter!
Bill_Dunnigan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2008, 11:36 AM   #5
Bill_Dunnigan
2005 LJ Wrangler 

i replaced my slave cylinder with a bimba pnuematic cylinder and 5.1 DOT brake fluid, this fixed my issues just fine and cheap too
2008 KK - Wife's Grocery Getter!
Bill_Dunnigan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2008, 11:37 AM   #6
ArrizX
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kloppk View Post
Negative.
They are completely seperate systems.

The problem is likely a bad clutch master cylinder or possibly a bad throwout bearing.
oh, sorry.
ArrizX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2008, 12:26 PM   #7
Morgan_TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Is there a way to tell which one is bad or is it going to be a trial and error process to see which one is bad?
Unread 07-31-2008, 12:44 PM   #8
Jim Miller
2004 LJ Wrangler 

On my '91 YJ I had the same problem. The shop had to replace the Master and Slave cylinders because a seal was breaking apart in the Master and small pieces were lodged in the Slave and in the lines. If it turns out that you find any trash in either cylinder (tiny pieces of rubber seal) - be sure to flush-out the line between the two cylinders as well. Or - you will get to do this all over again in about a week.
Jim Miller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2008, 12:56 PM   #9
Morgan_TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks, I was hoping i could get away with only replacing one or the other and not both.
Unread 07-31-2008, 01:46 PM   #10
VICTIM_OF_PAIN
2008 JK Wrangler 

In my 2001 the master and slave were one unit, it was called the hydraulic assembly. Not sure if that helps.

[B]Ex - 2001 Wrangler, 2" BB, 32" BGF AT's. JKS Quicker Disconnects, Oil Pan Skid, Steering Box Skid. Hard Top, Soft Top, Safari Top, Olympic Mountaineer Rack.[/B][/COLOR]

Current - 2008 Unlimited Wrangler Rubicon. Rock Krawler Stock Mod 2.5" lift, 35x12.50x15 Cooper STT's on Pro-Comp D-Windows, Husky Floor Liners, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, Hitch mounted D-Ring, Rancho Oil Pan Skid, Rugged Ridge E-Disco Skid, and a Skid Row Evap Canister Skid plate.

[B]It is better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool.... than to open it and remove all doubt[/B].
VICTIM_OF_PAIN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2008, 01:52 PM   #11
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Have you tried bleeding the system?

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2008, 02:01 PM   #12
Morgan_TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

No, I haven't. do you think that could be the problem? If so the there has to be a reason that air is getting into the system i guess.
Unread 07-31-2008, 02:17 PM   #13
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Location: where I wheel: N 45║ 36.663' W 123║ 20.935', Oregon
Hopefully it's as easy as replacing the slave. If the slave isn't defective, the issue may be a failure in your clutch fork/throwout bearing.
1998 TJ Moss [COLOR=darkgreen][B][SIZE=3]Green[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

[Edit] "Now jeepin in Oregon" [/Edit]
IslandTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2008, 10:46 PM   #14
bigchevyman24
2000 WJ 

I had the exact same problem...push the clutch to the floor and it will not let loose of the gear/engine. Does the clutch not want to come back up? I would push the clutch all the way down and not be able to get into a gear or out of a gear. Replace the slave and be done with it. Pretty simple process. If it was the throwout bearing, most likely the clutch wouldn't move at all. About a $50 fix...

SOLD: 2000 WJ 2WD CONVERTED TO 4X4, 97 TJ ON 35'S, 95 XJ ON 33'S
bigchevyman24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2008, 08:23 AM   #15
Morgan_TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I think i will start there. Hopefully that will be all there is to it. What was the best way to bleed the system when i get the slave installed?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.